Tecmo Koei Slices Team Ninja in Two

Posted by Andy Green

The company is reorganising after big profits

Tecmo Koei has been doing pretty well for itself recently. Last year it recorded a net profit of $27.9 million (£17.7 million) between the beginning of October and the end of December, which was a staggering 291.7% increase on the previous quarter.

Now the company has announced it is reorganising its corporate structure, which will see its flagship developer Team Ninja sliced in half.

The two development groups have creatively been named Ichigaya Development Group 1 and Ichigaya Development Group 2. The former will be run by the current head of the studio Yosuke Hayashi, while Keisuke Kikuchi, who was a senior manager, will be in charge of the latter.

Team Ninja's most recent outing on a Nintendo system was Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, which is now no longer a Wii U exclusive. Tecmo Koei has been responsible for Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 on Wii U and also developed Pokémon Conquest on the DS.

What are your thoughts on the reorganisation of Tecmo Koei and the games it has produced in recent years? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com, koeitecmo.co.jp, gamesindustry.biz]

zeonox

zeonox said:

I still think of Tecmo Superbowl whenever I hear that name....

Glad to hear they made a profit since several companies have come up short recently. I hope this reorganization doesn't break what made them successful or help them grow too fast/big to be manageable. Also, which of those games should I check out first? I've played none of them.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

@EvisceratorX I found absolutely nothing wrong with Tecmo Koei's Other M gameplay. The only thing they're responsible for.
I just bought Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper. I was actually minutes away from playing it the first time. Somewhat ironic.
I hope this means more games Tecmo Koei can partner up with Nintendo for.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Honestly, Metroid Other M wasn't THAT bad. With some reworking, a sequel with improved gameplay would be great. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of pick-ups and the 1st-person segments.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I absolutely love Koei, especially their older simulations series and everything of the "warriors" series and its licensed bretheren ;)
Im glad to hear that they are making enough profit to expand.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Woot! The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not the X360 and PS3 version of the game will come with the characters we got or if those actually were exclusives.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

One team will now work itself to the bone creating major sequels and new IPs whilst the other creates nothing but fanservice spin-offs :P

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I wants Dead or Alive 5 on Wii U!!! :'(

They release that Fist of the North Star crap but they won't port Dead or Alive 5 to the Wii U? The 3DS game made an instant fan out of me so I'd be really bummed if they neglect to support the franchise on Nintendo's home consoles from hereon.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

So that's why Pokemon Conquest looked like it had characters from Dynasty Warriors.
Omega make the Warrior series, and I don't know who does the Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategy games (the latest one is on Wii U in Japan but would be awesome in English).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm rather surprised they'd need to split them up. Does this mean we'll see more Team Ninja games more often?

RR529

RR529 said:

Hope they continue to support the 3DS.

I enjoyed Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, and loved Dead or Alive: Dimensions

I also enjoyed Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Ninja Gaiden II, & Dead or Alive 4 (other Tecmo Koei games I've played).

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I just want Fatal Frame for the wiiU now that Nintendo owns exclusive rights to the series ... unless that's expired too :(

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@hcfwesker Yes they do own a great deal of the rights, and yes that would be awesome!
They also completely own the Spirit Camera franchise... lucky them :/

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Great! One half can become the 'giggly-bewb physics' division and the other can be the 'awful Metroid ideas' department!!

To be serious....I'm glad to see they made (staggering) profits especially during this lame economy and at a time where so many other video game companies are reporting losses.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I want a Samurai Warriors 4 and Dead or Alive 5 for Wii U. Also a new Ninja Gaiden and Monster Rancher game would be great too.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'd also love a new Samurai Warriors game and Monster Rancher on Wii U. These guys are one of my favourite publishers, so I'm pretty jazzed to see them doing well.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@C-Olimar I was hoping I wsn't just imagining that! All I can think about is holding my GamePad to the screen and using it as the Camera Obscura for Fatal Frame 5!