Two Tribes: Toki Tori 2 Is A Metroidvania-Style Experience

Posted by Damien McFerran

"Count" us in

Toki Tori 2 may have been subject to delays, but we're still just as excited about playing it as we were way back when it was first announced.

The hype has now risen to a new level as developer Two Tribes has taken to Twitter to share this piece of information:

For those who don't know, "Metroidvania" is a term coined to describe Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a PlayStation title set in the Castlevania universe which takes elements from Nintendo's Super Metroid. The term has since been applied to subsequent Castlevania titles which have adopted a similar approach (Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the Nintendo DS being one such example).

That's not the only piece of good news Two Tribes have shared on Twitter. Co-founder Collin van Ginkel has also revealed that the game is finally nearing completion:

Are you keen to see what Toki Tori 2 plays like? Post a comment to tell us.

[via twitter.com]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Oh heck yes. Loved Symphony of the Night (haven't had a chance to play any of the others sadly) so this should be great.

NImH

NImH said:

I am stoked. Toki Tori was one of the best things about GBC.
Now, let's talk l talk about the possible imminent death of Nintendo...

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

"Did you know Toki Tori 2 is structurally a Metroidvania style game? And if so, does that sound good to you?"

Good? My interest in the game just passed from 0 to 100 XD
No offense to the serie, I simply don't know well Toki Tori and wasn't planning to learn more; but if Toki Tori 2 is a metroidvania game then I can't wait to know more about it ^_^

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I can't wait to go around freezing vampires with my ice blaster as a yellow little chick.

skjia

skjia said:

I'm looking to try out the first game before this comes out. Should I get it on 3DS VC or WiiWare?

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

I've been keeping a balance of eShop credit on Wii U just for this game!! It's true! Let the game come :)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

This sounds awesome! You just can't top the "Metroidvania" style. I hope this will also be released on the 3DS in some form in the future.

timp29

timp29 said:

The original was great. Big shoes to fill. Love to see some gameplay footage of the updated version.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

I don't like the term Metroidvania. It has come to mean "open world platformer" with no other specific implications. The game does look interesting, though.