The Conduit Looks Set for Nvidia's Project Shield

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

From Wii to the Tegra mobile gaming platform

Yesterday we reported on Nvidia's announcement of Project Shield, a device that incorporates a conventional home console controller with a high-quality retina display touchscreen, impressive all-round specs and the ability to stream PC games without the need for a meaty broadband connection. Whether it'll shake up the industry and pose a danger to systems like the 3DS is highly debatable, but it's an interesting development that Nintendo will no doubt watch with interest.

Today, meanwhile, a rather surprising piece of news has arrived in the form that Wii title The Conduit looks to be on the way to Nvidia's "Tegra Zone", an app that showcases Android games optimised for the company's graphic processors found in so many smartphone and tablet devices. A reader over on GoNintendo spotted a flash cameo from the title in the hands-on preview video for Project Shield posted by IGN. Naturally we checked this ourselves to make sure that it wasn't a bizarre and unlikely example of PhotoShop shenanigans, but it definitely appears at the 2 minute 12 second mark of the video.

With the technology of graphic processors improving, it's a sign of an evolving industry when a game originally released as an attempt to showcase the Wii and attract an FPS audience to the system becomes a mobile release. The title isn't yet showing on the TegraZone website, so is probably still in development, but it's a quirky cameo nevertheless; we should also remember that we never saw a 3DS entry in The Conduit franchise, as was promised in the handheld's early days.

[via gonintendo.com, uk.ign.com]

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Still not interested in this. The Steam Box however, I am extremely excited about :)

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

Damn it. I was really hoping for Conduit 3 on Wii U, still the only FPS to get motion controls right.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Will be interesting to see this versus Valve's Piston. But from a distance, I do not see myself getting tired of the Wii U any time soon.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@Thomas: "the ability to stream PC games without the need for a meaty broadband connection."
Well, it seems you'll need this pc specs for the streaming stuff to work properly:

GPU: NVIDIA® Kepler™-based GeForce GTX 650 (Desktop) or
GTX 660M (Notebook) or higher
CPU: Intel Core i5 or equivalent or higher
System Memory: 4 GB or higher
Software: GeForce Experience™ application and latest GeForce drivers
OS: Windows 7 or higher
Router: Router: 802.11a/g/n
(Recommended: 802.11n Dual Band / MIMO Router)

which is about 800-1000 € if you're going to get both the pc and the handheld

Molotov

Molotov said:

Meh. Even My Tegra 3 Sporting One X Can Easily Run The Wii Version. With Better Resolution Of Course.

Omega

Omega said:

I'm only interested in the Wii. And I prefer my games on a big screen.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

I wonder what drove them to consider the gaming business?? Last time I checked, they were a GPU company. We'll see :P

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

So it's getting a port of a 4-year old game, bummer. I expect something more curent like Crysis 3 or maybe Metro: Last Light.

t377y000

t377y000 said:

i want conduit 3 on wii u & a conduit on 3ds, if they cancell these for this shield crap than there going on my developers hated list.
like capcom cancelling assasins creed 3ds & megaman legends 3 on 3ds for no reason. -.-

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SuperCharlie78 Indeed, you're right. It stands to reason that a PC capable of playing top-end games is certainly needed, I was just giving a short overview and re-correcting an error I made in yesterday's article :)

3DS

3DS said:

Sad to hear, really looking forward to the next Conduit. Hopefully, it's not a Tegra Zone exclusive!

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@ThomasBW84
Yes I know, I didn't mean you were wrong ;D
Anyway, we all know Wii U's streaming ability and technology is pretty strong and you don't need anything but the console to do that, while in this case I'm sure with my current pc config this would work like crap, actually I'm not sure it would even work in the first place...
But we like videogames beyond any kind of technichal information, right?
We will stay and see what happens :)

mamp

mamp said:

didn't the conduit 2 get really bad reviews why would anyone want it on the 3DS or Wii U.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

passed on the first 2 :P sadly had 0 interest... though it would have been nice to try out a new version... just not on that system haha

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I was incredibly disappointed that the first two didn't catch. The first one in particular looked so freaking awesome, and I wanted so badly for the Wii to have it's own "mature" shooter. But that's what happens when you spend more time hyping your games than you do polishing them, I guess.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Conduit 1 was decent,but the second is a mess,but the series has become quite a guilty pleasure of mine.
I not really this bothered by this news.

duskao

duskao said:

@Grubdog actually cod: blops 2 has full support for wii motion controls. i switch back and forth between the pad and remote just for fun.

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

@duskao yeah, I have that game. The cursor sensitivity patch helped a lot but I can't quite get it feeling as smooth as Conduit 2.