Wii U Launches In Japan To Great Fanfare

Posted by Andy Green

Japanese gamers join the party

Western Wii U owners may have noticed in the last few days that there’s been a few Japanese Miis wandering around the WaraWara and Nintendo Land plazas. That’s because it is now official: the Land of the Rising Sun has Wii U.

The console launched on Saturday and Japanese gamers flocked to their nearest store in force to grab hold of their shiny new Wii U — as expected considering it's been the last major territory to join in. Around 100 people queued outside Bic Camera’s flagship store in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro commercial district to get hold of their prize. No midnight launch this time - the store opened at 8am.

Japanese Wii U buyers had the same two choices as the West with either the Basic or Premium Pack, though sadly Nintendo Land was not bundled. On a happier note for Japanese gamers they did have the availability of the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Pack, which will no doubt leave many Western gamers green with envy.

Take a look at a few photos from the launch below. Welcome to the party Japan!

[via nintendoeverything.com, famitsu.com, afr.com]

Sonic260

Sonic260 said:

And now everyone has a Wii U! Woohoo! Thought I think it's a little weird Japan didn't get it first.

Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise said:

Considering Japan usually gets consoles and handhelds first it is a nice change that they have to wait a little longer. Though not sure why they did have to wait so long.

Skotski

Skotski said:

I just always assume that Japan got it last because Nintendo had a feeling the consoles had some problems, so they made everyone else beta test it for them. XD;

^_^ Anyone else seeing the tons of posts non-Japanese players are putting on the Monster Hunter Miiverse Community? Quite a number of them - almost rivals the amount of the people that actually own the game.

Ren

Ren said:

Wow, Monster hunter would sell this console for me, even if it's a little tied to the older visuals. Cool.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

If there was a Monster Hunter bundle deal with the Wii U here in the states I would totally get it!!

Techraan

Techraan said:

I think they didn't get it because they actually make more off of the system over seas. The first Wii launch in '06 was so limited that after the Japan and US launch, there were none left for all of Europe

Beta

Beta said:

I would rather it launch last and have Monster Hunter than launch early and not get it at all ;_; LUCKY JAPAN! T.T

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Nice MH Pack on launch day for Japan! I'm still on the fence about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but I'll probably get it. It comes out in March here in the U.S. I believe. Pretty cool that most everywhere has the Wii U now!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Now the Wii U has arrived at every major territory. Im yet to see any at Ecuador at all, as Im getting mine at Christmas, stores havent got any yet (most likely due to exporting taxes and rules) and I have no friend yet convinced into buying it (not without a Zelda game) as Sony has the biggest fan base here.

NGamerZero

NGamerZero said:

I can't wait to get my hands on a deluxe set along with New Super Mario Bros. U. I'm just waiting for some of that huge pile of boxes to come to a store near me.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This explains the heavy Japanese presense in the Nintendo Land community on Miiverse. Considering they get so many goodies that aren't offered anywhere else, it seems odd that Japan would get the Wii U last.

Now we can all be connected!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Nintendo had to hit the Black Friday time slot in NA... But now that Japan has it, I'm ready for the Wii U to really start rolling!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Sooo much kawaii! In the Ninja Gaiden 3 community oddly enough :o I didn't know women liked slicing, blood, and nudity in there games?

Emaan

Emaan said:

I noticed Japanese writing showing up on Miiverse the other day and assumed it launched there, guess it did. Yay! Now the Wii U is officially launched worldwide! :D

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

For some reason, I first read the title as "Wii U Launches in Japan to Great Failure". I guess I should have paid more attention to the title past the Fa. Japan would be the least likely country to ever have failing Nintendo sales. Just look at the 3DS.
Anyways, THEY HAVE MONSTER HUNTER? Lucky ducks. I only have one game for my Wii U, and MH would be a welcome addition.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I think it's pretty funny they got it last, speaking they usually get stuff first on top of them getting the coolest collectable stuff. Going to skip the Wii U for Christmas and just ask for it on my birthday.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Do you see those people with Monster Hunter bundles?

Get a good look, because no one is ever going to see their faces again.

manic221

manic221 said:

Damn the girl with NSMBWiiU is cute :) Glad too see it popular on Nintendo's home territory but it's basically a given pretty sure Nintendo will always be popular in Japan :)

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I think it was a bad idea not to give US players monster hunter 3. That would have been a console seller, not that the wii u needed it but it could have changed the minds of those on the fence.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Stupid Monster Hunter bundle. T.T
Why Capcom no give us awesome stuff like this?!

Hyrule

Hyrule said:

Smaller market than US or Europe, Strong Yen, and more money made per console in US & Europe than Japan, = launch in your biggest markets first, then the subsequent ones.

On a side note, that Monster Hunter boxset is all kinds of awesome.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Yay! NL did an piece on the Wii U Japan release! I was waiting for something to being said about it. I kept seeing facebook pictures about the release in Japan but not articles or anything of the sort. Cool.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Mr_3DS Me to, I wanna move there, it'd be so nice to just settle with someone sweet there
I dream of the day I meet my Kokoro no Tomo :heart: