Entire SNES Game Collection Up For Sale

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Yours for just $24,999

Every now and then an eager retro collector raises eyebrows by offering something unique at an eye-watering price, which in the past has included items such as demo NES cartridges. This time around we have an entire collection of Super NES games up for sale, which includes all 721 retail releases for the system that hit the U.S, Canada and Mexico, with a "Buy it now" price of $24,999 on eBay.

That comes to just under $35 per game, with the seller going to a lot of trouble to list each and every title along with gradings for the condition of the cartridge, manual and box, though some titles don't have a manual; there are also details of extensive cleaning and a promise that all of the games work. While the eBay top price is an option, the original post on Reddit also welcomes lower bids made directly outside of the auction site, to avoid a rather hefty 10% fee.

So, why was this collection developed only to be sold off? Well, the reasons are a hot potato here at Nintendo Life.

I built this set to obtain scans and clean verified dumps for every game, which I have now finished. The scans are appearing on snescentral.com, and the improved emulation will appear in the next higan/bsnes release. I will be using 100% of the profits from this sale to do the same for the European and Japanese sets next.

This set represents three years of effort. From scouring every used game store in my home state, to bartering purchases from dozens of vendors online, to enlisting the help of everyone willing to search around their areas to find things for me, to donations of items that are impossible to find for sale anywhere, to hundreds upon hundreds of hours cleaning and polishing everything. I've never seen a set this complete before, and it's unlikely another one will ever surface.

If you have a spare $24,999 hanging around every Super NES game released in North America could be yours; no-one said having it all would be cheap.

[via polygon.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Id buy that for a dolla! But not $25.000. Only because I don't have them right now, else I definitely would, it's my favourite system of all time.

TheInvisibleTor

TheInvisibleTor said:

@RyanO I've got 20 too! let's go get 1248 more people who've got 20 and we'll all share the collection! (:( no one told me that sharing was involved...)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's crazy, but there are plenty of crazy deals out there. Thing is, if someone were to get all of that, they would get not just all the of the good classics, but the not-so-good ones too. What would the ratio between good and bad be?

Araknie

Araknie said:

I can buy one half...of an half...of an half...of an half...of an half...of an half...of an half of that collection.

I think he will not accept my proposal. XD

nocode

nocode said:

What a deal! ... usually 1 complete copy of Earthbound goes for this price on eBay.

Cranky

Cranky said:

It is nice to know that someone has compiled all the Snes roms and scans so thoroughly, and I think it is also cool that he is aiming to do this again for all regions. Good on him, it is obviously a labor of love. Pirates have had access to all Snes roms for many years so I cant see it having a significant impact on future sales, if at all. If he cant find a buyer he could always take them all to Game and get £10 on trade in :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I admire and respect this guys desire to preserve these games in digital form. Really wish I had the money for these physical carts though. :(

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

It's hell worth it! you get every game on the library for $35 per game? If only such money existed in my wallet i'd do it without thinking twice.

nocode

nocode said:

I don't understand. What will be different about these roms compared to ones that have floated around the internet now for the past 10+ years?

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

721 people should put $35 each in then there should be a lottery to see who gets which game.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

kudos for actually saying that the collection was for the sake of digital preservation of these titles. especially when the propaganda would have you be oh so upset about the subject for no good reason at all. but so what, since nintendo is never going to do it (and they are fools for that fact because they could fund their company FOREVER on ancient-game-emulation alone if they just offered EVERYTHING in the backlog of titles for play for a reasonable fee).
god bless you sir, i salute you. if somebody didn't take it upon themselves to do it, these games would be lost forever to future generations.

KingMike

KingMike said:

@warvad

He said that of the entire collection, only two games were different than what's already on the Internet. He already loaned those two to someone who doesn't care about the legal trouble with releasing them. So, the ROM set is preserved.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Its pretty cool that he put the collection together to preserve the data, but I don't know if too many people would be interested in buying the whole thing.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

I saw the N64 version of this sale about 2 years ago on Craigslist. They wanted $7,000 for the whole thing. I was only missing the boxes to about 5 games, but everything else was pretty much CIB. Didn't have the money, or the space for it at the time. :(