Hori Set To Release Wii U Arcade Stick At Launch

Posted by Orla Madden

Fight 'em up arcade style

For all you fighting fanatics out there, Hori is going to release a Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition fight stick this December, alongside the Wii U launch in Japan.

To use the stick it'll need to be plugged into a Wii Remote, simply like you would use a Classic Controller; it'll set you back ¥7980 (approximately £60/€75/$100). There’s no word on whether it'll be brought across to Europe or North America, but we can only hope.

It's maybe not the cheapest controller out there, though many fight fans swear that sticks are the only way to go. Is it something you'd like to see released for all regions?

[via 4gamer.net, nintendo-gamer.net]

AVahne

AVahne said:

If it just simply connects to the Wiimote, then will Wii arcade sticks work on Wii U fighting games, too?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Looks like I wont be needing this because I already own the Wii Hori fighting stick. Since this new one is merely a Classic Controller add-on, my old one should work just as this.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Shiryu I wouldn't be so sure, as the Classic Controller will have to be supported by the games for that to work, then. I'd surmise that this new stick is more akin to the Wii U Pro Controller in its settings so it will work with all games that controller will. I have no idea how many Wii U games will accept the older Classic Controller, but I'd have to think not many, as Nintendo wants to sell the Pro model. Not being mean, I'm just giving you a different perspective, so don't be let down if it doesn't work.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

All fight sticks are really expensive, but to be honest for 3D fighters like Tekken I find gamepads better.

Haywired

Haywired said:

Speaking of Namco fighting games on the Wii U, I would love to see a port of Soulcalibur V. I had heard it might make its way to the 3DS, but I'd prefer it on the Wii U.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I've got a Wii Tastunoko vs. Capcom arcade stick which should do the job nicely. The stock components are pretty good, but it's really easy to swap out for authentic arcade parts. The cool thing about getting any Wii stick (including this Tekken one) is that with a USB-to-classic controller adapter, you can also use it with your PS3 and PC as well! Awesome to hear this will work with Wii U specific titles too!

Cesco

Cesco said:

If the stick is the same that appears in the tiny picture, it looks like a revamped version of the sameHori stick I got with Tekken 6 on PS3... and that's not good IMHO because it has microswitches only for the stick and not for the buttons, so it doesn't feel at all like a genuine arcade stick to me...

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I use a stick for all the fighting games I have for the 360, except for Dead or Alive. For me to get this stick for Wii U I would have to know if there will be more fighting games on this console first.

Ren

Ren said:

yeah, cause this kind of control is SO relevant in modern games and surely worth $100. Just like it plays in the arca... wait.

seronja

seronja said:

it's awesome, but not for the wii-u... i have the mortal kombat arcade stick for ps 3 and a chun-li arcade stick for xbox-360 but for a wii-u i don't want one, simply because of the game pad.

meppi

meppi said:

Hmm. Need a bit more info on it before I order one.
Like what is the stick like? Sanwa? Seimistu? or in-house? Same with the buttons. Sanwa or in-house.
If those are cheap in-house parts and not mod-friendly, I'll pass for now.
For only €75 it's nearly impossible to get a stick with high grade components so I'm not all that optimistic.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@bulby1994 A while back I saw the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom one for £20. Of course now availability has dropped soaring prices.

The problem I have with them is size and setup (you ideally need to rest it on something)

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

If you already have a Arcade Stick that plugs into the Wiimote i assume it should work with the WiiU also ?

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i think it's a good idea. i often play fighting games in the arcades with the stick so i'll be used to this way of playing. really hoping that fingers crossed with tekken tag tournament 2 doing well for the wii U, we will see streetfighter, king of fighters, virtua fighter, dead or alive, soul calibur on the system too.