You'll Be Able To Play Darksiders II Entirely On The Wii U GamePad

Posted by Damien McFerran

THQ reveals more details on the Wii U port of its gothic adventure

THQ's action-packed Wii U title Darksiders II will allow you to play the whole adventure on the GamePad, it has been revealed today.

Speaking to Polygon, a THQ employee said that although the version shown at the recent New York preview event didn't have the feature enabled, it would be making its way into the final release. Also included from day one will be the first batch of DLC called Argul's Tomb. Additional DLC will arrive next year via the Wii U eShop.

Haydn Dalton of developer Virgil Games previously hinted that the GamePad would be used in new ways - perhaps this is what he meant?

Darksiders II has been confirmed as a launch day title in North America.

[via theverge.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

It'll be interesting to see if that's all they use the GamePad for, or if there'll be other features if you choose to play on the TV.
Either way, that's fine by me.
I need some Wii U games that I can play in bed.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Odd. It's a launch day title, yet Gamestop left it off its preorder list. Hmph.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I can't imagine, now that Nintendo finally has a an HD console, wanting to ever play HD games on a 6 1/2" screen, though I applaud them putting this feature in.
This could be useful for starting games up though. Booting up my PS3 to play WKC it must take a good 5 minutes from power on to playing - why I need to pick a language EVERY SINGLE TIME I play the game is beyond me, and the loading takes too long. That's 5 more minutes I could've been watching the 49er's - Lions game. Not to mention the 791MB patch for Sideways, 10 minute staring at a black screen. So a very useful feature for doing stuff, but I'm not playing.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I can think of all kinds of scenarios where this feature could come in handy. Siblings hogging the tv, parents booting you off, playing while watching tv.

Personally I'm hoping the virtual console and Wii Ware/e-shop games will be playable on it.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I soooo hope that this version is as good (or even better) then the PS3/Xbox360 version! From what I have seen/heard, Darksiders 2 is a awesome Zelda-esque adventure game that gets a lot of praise. It could be potentially better then Twilight princess or Skyward sword! If done right it's a great launch-title!!

Oh yeah, and first batch of DLC included! Good news!

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

I haven't played it yet (been waiting for the Wii U version), but i've only heard really good things about it. It's kinda like a cross between Zelda, Metroid & Diablo, and perhaps God of War. It's quite a large game too...

BUY IT!!!

JimLad

JimLad said:

I was under the impression every WiiU game could do this, wasn't that the point of their whole 'you don't need a TV/ take it in another room' thing?

Araknie

Araknie said:

@JimLad Nintendo can guarantee only for first and second party titles.
Of course they suggest third parties to make that either, but not every Software House is good at making games.
Eheheheheheheh.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

@doctor_doak - I feel it's etter summarized as a cross between Prince of Persia and Xenoblade. Similarities with Zelda are really superficial in the sequel,but it does often feel a bit like Metroid. It's superb.

HaNks

HaNks said:

being able to do this was meant to be a selling feature of the console (switching to the gamepad anytime) but it actually turns out to be special feature that little content is supporting so far. i've known this for a while but it does not seem to be widely understood. Nintendo has confirmed you will not be able to play any existing VC/Wii content on the gamepad.