Ron Gilbert's The Cave Coming To Wii U eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

Promises Metroidvania-like platform adventure action

Ron Gilbert is something of a legend in gaming circles; he's the genius behind such LucasArts classics as Maniac Mansion and The Secret of Monkey Island.

He's currently working alongside fellow ex-LucasArts staffer Tim Schafer at Double Fine Productions, and The Cave is his latest venture.

Described as a 'Metroidvania'-style platform romp, it tasks the player with selecting a trio of characters from a cast of seven. You must then use the unique skills of each protagonist to overcome the various puzzles scattered throughout the titular cave.

The Cave has already been confirmed as a digital download title for PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade, but at the recent PAX 2012 event, Double Fine representative Greg Rice stated that it is also heading to the Wii U eShop.

[via joystiq.com]

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

Ever since I played Psychonauts my interest in double fine has peaked.
I'm really looking forward to this. :)

Cipher

Cipher said:

Very pleased to see this come to Wii U. I wonder if SEGA will publish this version as well as the others.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Psychonauts was one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. No exaggeration. Also, this game looks pretty cool. I can't wait to hear more about it.

hydeks

hydeks said:

watches trailer looks like it will be a great game, keep getting the games Nintendo, the Wii U is shaping up to be a system I really want. But, you need to keep getting the games...

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Looks pretty awesome, but what's with the "May Contain Content Inappropriate For Children" label at the beginning? This looks more E-10 in my opinion

Lite_Gamer

Lite_Gamer said:

This looks awesome, And the Wii U looks like it's getting alot of third party support let's see if they'll keep it up after it's launch.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Looks like Trine 2 a bit, with an aesthetic more my cuppa tea. Will definitely wait for this on the 'U. Double Fine has a crazy-wide range... still excited to try Costume Quest (have it dl'ed on my 360 but am waiting for October to play.)

FZeroFan321

FZeroFan321 said:

I'm guessing the Wii U will be the next SNES when the SNES got a lot of third party support!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

"Looks" good, not sure if I'm interested yet though. I can't say I played Maniac Mansion though I've heard rave reviews, and I have played Secret of Monkey Island which I really liked.