Final Issue of Nintendo Gamer Launches With Exclusive Wil Overton Cover

Posted by Damien McFerran

Going out with a bang

As we reported last week, UK publication Nintendo Gamer has come to the end of its life, marking the sad conclusion of a story which started two decades ago with first issue of Super Play. Nintendo Gamer can trace its ancestry back to that publication, although it has understandably endured a few name changes along the way.

The man who provided the cover artwork for the debut issue of Super Play all those years ago was Wil Overton, who would go on to work as a designer at Rare.

He currently rests his pencils at Blitz Game Studios, but has taken the time to provide Nintendo Gamer with its final cover - a fitting end when you consider his history with the magazine.

Update: Wil has posted the original images on his blog - the composite character was created for the subscriber copy of the magazine.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I'm sorry, but Samus looks like that's a guy behind that mask, and Link just looks like a girl

I could even swear that Link's sporting a chest.

Xilef

Xilef said:

What's that in the right corner: Star Fox, Pokemon 3DS, Smash Bros and F-Zero? Do they know something we don't, or is it about something else?

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

Why is Mario about to fire off a Kame-Hame-Ha?
Never bought an issue so I kinda feel bad.
At least subscriptions are being transferred to ONM...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Man, whocares if the characters don't look entirely accurate, that's the beauty of it and it's the reason why those old school nintendo power magazines felt so special because the artists did their own quirky and unique interpretations(even claymations for NP) of many NES/SNES characters.
It's pretty boring if everything has to be 100% bloody faithful....Like Nintendo powers modern cut and paste official artwork. Artists like to have have fun with their work and add their own unique twist to it all. And I actually dig Link's look above, because it's something Different and something 'different' always stands out.

And speaking of NP, i just got Vol. 7 from 89' in the mail and oh my god....Another reminder that the NES/SNES NP smoke
the modern NP issues. There's so much original and bizzare arwork and more effort seems like there's been thrown in and creativity. You'll never see any weird original artwork in newer NP issues, it's all the same boring official artwork scattered everywhere.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@WaveBoy I like that magazines have covers with uniquely drawn art, rather than using official game artwork!
Many different artists that convey unique art styles and give the magazine personality!

I just think that Link shouldn't look like a girl. It's more than just the face that does it.

Fudge

Fudge said:

@RupeeClock I think his face just messes it up. Like, it's awesome but his face throws it off! Also, why is Mario's hat so big??

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@Fudge
I dunno, Link has a somewhat stocky physique and shorter upper-torso that makes it look a bit more effeminate athletic to me.
I think it's the neck too, on closer the inspection I don't think that neck should work.

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Recieved a letter from Future the other day saying they are switching my subscription to ONM.

Will give it a try for a few months

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

bwahaha Mario totally looks like he's about to kamehameha the place up. i'm sorry they couldn't come up with something better for you guys who subscribed, and i hope ONM treats you well. :(

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I ask in W H Smiths,and they said it didn't came out yet :(

Link is a chick,and Samus is a dude,while Mario is Mario.

motang

motang said:

Is that a cross between Link and Princess Zelda. Link face looks way too feminine.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I don't think anybody's even noticed the Kirby metroid on the cover yet.
Didn't even notice it until I looked at the artist's website as linked in the article.

Probably because they put the pink character in front of solid red.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

That art looks kind of amateurish to me.

Overton has been doing this style artwork for twenty years now so he's hardly an amateur. But he decided to experiment with different takes on his old art style and it never really captured the charm that he was well reknowned for.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Why has hardly anyone mentioned the POKEMON 3DS, STARFOX, FZERO, and SSB?

hydeks

hydeks said:

@RupeeClock how crap your right! Link has boobs, Samus looks like a dude, and that's SO a Kirby Metroid. I actually had to look at this twice to even realize these things :P

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

Female Link? Lol I don't know who Wil Overton is, and Mario/Samus look kinda good, but he kind of killed it with Link for me.
Anyway, on a side note...look at all the features in the magazine!
"Find out what's next for Mario, Metroid & Zelda" !!
Then in the bottom right corner:
"-Star Fox
-Pokemon 3DS
-Smash Bros
-F-Zero"
!!!!!
Is this issue going to have new, legitimate info on the future of all our favorite Nintendo properties!?

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

This, along with the last issue of Nintendo Power makes me think that Nintendo has other plans for the development and publishing of periodicals dealing with their brands. Given the comments here on the quality of the art of this issue and also all the commentary here and in other articles dealing with the quality of Future Publishing's handling of Nintendo Power points to Nintendo not being happy with the quality of the license they are giving these publishers. We can only hope that something better either directly from Nintendo OR a publisher who wants to work on Nintendo's terms is in the works.

Nintendo knows too well that they need print publication. They aren't stupid enough to think that their brands can exist on word of mouth, webzines like this one and the little (and anti-Nintendo) exposure they get in the cross-platform publications like EGM and Gameinformer alone. Also, out of the big three, Nintendo is by far the most protective of their IP. Think of them as the Disney of the gaming space. Disney is VERY particlar about how their IP is used, where they are used, in what light they are protrayted, etc. I just don't think either of these now defunct publications cut the mustard with them. Something is up.

Crunc

Crunc said:

Is ONM "Official Nintendo Magazine"? That's not in the US. Or are they going to bring it to the US? If not, what are they doing for those of us here?

Crunc

Crunc said:

Also I like the composite character much better than the one above. See the blog post.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Girl "Link" is great!!! And inspires me to imagine a game with her in it. One scenario is Hyrule is in dire trouble, but "the hero" doesn't appear, and so Zelda takes it upon herself to assume the mantle, and save Hyrule!! Fun!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I think the artwork on the magazines that Bass_X0 posted look far better than this, they look awesome! Also, Link looks like a girl on that cover, it even looks like he has tits.

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

So wait, a long-running, well-written video game magazine is closing, and their final issue teases new Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Brothers, F-Zero AND Star Fox information, and everyone's too busy discussing the cover art to care?

grayfox47

grayfox47 said:

Please don't be teasing Nintendo Gamer, the Star Fox fan community won't be able to withstand another let down.