Score NES Play Action Football as a US Club Nintendo Reward

Posted by Mike Mason

Worth a try?

It's that time again — there's a new reward available on the North American Club Nintendo website. NES Play Action Football is the latest treat on offer, giving you the opportunity to relive some 1990 American football glory on Wii Virtual Console.

It replaces Fluidity and is available until 2nd September for a reduced rate of 100 reward coins. You might want to take a look at our NES Play Action Football review before you go stumping up the gold, though...

Alternatively, you can still grab 3D Classics: Excitebike until 26th August. It's a slightly heftier 150 coins, but as our 3D Classics: Excitebike review attests, you'll probably have a better time.

Will you be seizing any of these rewards?

Thanks to all the readers who sent in a news tip about this.

[via club.nintendo.com]

Related Games

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

ill probably not get this since i already have tecmo bowl from the nes vc

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

To me these seem like a waste of coins. I'd rather just get merchandise that will sit in a drawer doing nothing. And that's not sarcasm.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Well, I kinda liked 10-yard Fight, so I think I'll end up liking this, lol.

Teaqq2

Teaqq2 said:

I accidentally got 3D Classics Exitebike instead of NES Action Play Football, thinking I'd have enough coins, but unfortunately, I won't have enough to get both. I have Exitebike on Animal Crossing and on my 3DS now, but at least it got a better review.

KingMike

KingMike said:

100 Nintendo coins for a game that isn't even selling on ebay for 100 real coins (pennies)? :P

hydeks

hydeks said:

OMG I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahem yay sorry...I love this game :P I remember me and my dad and two of his buddies playing this when I was really young, and it's one of the nes games I actually STILL own from my original collection. I don't even like football but I thought this game was incredibly fun :P

rayword45

rayword45 said:

IMO, it's really depressing that they went from the beauty of Fluidity straight to this crap.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

This is a surprisingly semi-fun game if you're into 8-bit American Football. Its not without its quirks though... The diagonal view can make things difficult since you can't see the whole field, and the computer AI is sketchy at best. Sometimes you can run up the score, then minutes later find yourself crushed by the defense and unable to move the ball no matter how well you know the in's and out's of the game. Its not nearly as well made as Tecmo's Super Bowl, but better than the original Tecmo Bowl. I'd say its for hardcore 8-bit sports fans who have to have their fix on something that isn't Madden or Tecmo. There is something to be said about an era when realism was in sprite form and the sound effects were few and in mono.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am definitely skipping this one. I have to say I prefer the new reward system, since it technically gives you something to look forward to every week instead of every month, yet you have two weeks to get the game if you are interested.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa I just have to reply b/c I hate the new system. I liked checking in on the first of the month and seeing new games, many of which were good - Mask of Majora, Fluidty, Kirby - now I can't remember when to look and there hasn't been anything good for awhile. Well except Fluidity but I already got that the first time they offered it. Can't complain too much b/c it's basically free, but a few more games like this and I'm getting a t-shirt. If they want to do it every 2 weeks the 1st and 15th would work for me. Now it's practically random.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I had the cartridge but lost it (or misplaced, I'm not really sure). This game was meant to be played with 4 players (NES Satellite...ftw!). The game runs slooooooow.

rodoubleb

rodoubleb said:

With a much larger play book to choose out of Play Action Football has more complexity than regular Tecmo Bowl. It's certainly a better game then 10 yard fight or John Elway.

I would call it superior to standard Tecmo Bowl, which gets very boring quick having only 4 plays to choose from. Tecmo Super Bowl is the best of all, but we are unlikely to see it do to NFL licensing issues.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

as far as the nes goes this is the best football game... not super temco bowl but definitely good... I used to play this game for hours... definitely a get for me.. didn't know about temco super bowl though.. thought it was already in the VC system...