Yoshinori Ono Still Overworked Despite Health Scare

Posted by James Newton

Strong arm tactics

On a press tour of Asia earlier this year, Yoshinori Ono was admitted to hospital and stepped down from his role as Street Fighter producer following the health scare. While you might have expected Ono's hectic work schedule to slow down after the incident, a new interview with Eurogamer.net reveals that's not the case.

Ono revealed that after returning to work, Capcom didn't acknowledge that he'd been in hospital; he came back to a full work schedule and an airline ticket to Rome. Ono says:

There's no mercy. Everyone in the company says: 'Ono-san we've been so worried about you.' Then they hand me a timetable and it's completely filled with things to do.

Ono is unable to change his situation alone, but has sent out a clear message with this interview:

Capcom doesn't allow a trade union or any sort of worker movement you see. So if I complain I will probably get sacked. You have to say it for me, OK? I want you to write: 'Capcom overworks Ono'. That's your headline.

As one of gaming's bona fide characters, Ono's undoubtedly valuable to Capcom, and his work in revitalising the fighting genre should not be overlooked. Sounds to us like he could use a good holiday, though.

[via eurogamer.net]

motang

motang said:

That's no good. Dude needs to take a few months off and chill out.

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

Capcom, what happened to you? You used to be such the company. Now it's just one bad thing after another.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Capcom has really been digging their own grave. I love some of the games they put out, but it seems like the people up top are a bunch of a**holes.

AVahne

AVahne said:

GIVE HIM A GODDAMNED VACATION CAPCOM! He is SEVERELY overdue for one.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

are capcom trying to become a douchebag company, what with their recent antics that have infuriated their fans?

ono deserves a break.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I wonder if that's part of why Inafune left Capcom... Sounds like they don't treat their employees, even the important ones, very well.

GCNSean

GCNSean said:

Yoshinori Ono is a legend, if Capcom fired him ANYBODY in the gaming industry would pick him up in a heartbeat... Grasshopper Manufacture, Namco, and Nintendo comes to mind...

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I would like to know how involved Ono is with how SFxT built as a massive DLC scam and how the game is a piece of trash on top of that. I know Capcom execs forcing their decisions onto games are a large part as to why Capcom is hated so much.

Hawker

Hawker said:

Capcom has already lost Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil), Keiji Inafune (Mega Man), & Hideki Kamiya (Devil May Cry) & as we've seen, Resident Evil hasn't been the same, Mega Man has been sent to purgatory, & who can forget what they are doing to Dante in Devil May Cry. Get ready people, Street Fighter is next.

Word of Advice Capcom, stop being stupid & take a lesson from how Nintendo treats Shigeru Miyamoto, they know better then to upset the golden goose.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

This probably sounds racist or something, but... isn't overworking kind of common with Japanese businesses? I don't think Capcom is the only doing this.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Wow Capcom, first you anger fans by cancelling good games and putting on disc DLC, nothing to endangers anyone, but still annoying. But now you are not allowing an employee to rest after a health scare? That's way past too far and may endanger him, that's just terrible.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wow. It's amazing to hear such an outcry in Japanese culture so there must be some validity to Ono's claim... Capcom sure is getting a picture painted of being a dictatorship lately... what the hell is going on with that company??

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

This is disgusting, I can't believe any company would treat its star employees this way....

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want Resident Evil 6 on Wii U! I really want that game but I don't have an XBOX 360 or a PS3. I want that game more than any other game!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I really want to smash Capcom in the face. WHY THE HECK DID YOU FORCE ONO TO OVERWORK? It's not good for him, and I bet this will ruin the Street fighter series to an extent as well.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

Way to go C®apcom! Overworking someone right after a health scare? C®apcom has crossed the line!
EDIT: No offense to Yoshinori, when I say C®apcom, I mean the other people there. He does amazing and is very good at his job at Capcom.

emiru69

emiru69 said:

I don't want Mr. Ono to get fired by Capcom but... can you imagine One working for NIntendo? What? A man can dream right?
Poor guys needs a break. I bet Capcom gave him health insurance but then, once he went to hospital they told him that he had to pay extra to get his hospital billed unlock.

emiru69

emiru69 said:

@Hejiru
Your comment is not out place at all. While I love Japanese culture they do have an extreme tendency to overworked their employees. It's the industrialized country with highest percentage of suicides. Their work schedules are insane.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

A Japanese Toyota employee worked himself to death five years ago. Ono should just quit Capcom b/c his health is more important than his job

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Another evidence that Capcom only cares about the money nowadays. I hope he quits because he deserves a lot better and he will not lack a better company to work with.

And I won't do as Ono asks. We all know Capcom does not listen to their fans.