First Impressions: Scribblenauts Unlimited

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Unlimited indeed

We've already seen two Scribblenauts releases on Nintendo's DS system, but now the series is making the jump to the home console on Nintendo's upcoming Wii U, in the form of Scribblenauts Unlimited. While the series has never looked better visually, it's the major improvements to the gaming experience itself that really takes this entry to new heights.

Anyone that's played a Scribblenauts game before should feel right at home in Unlimited, as the basic premise and game style remain intact. You'll be forced to help the various characters by typing in the names of objects that they'll need in order to complete their tasks. For instance, a character might need to chop down a tree and it will be up to you to supply them with the proper tool for the job. While there are quite a few different items you might use in a particular situation, you simply type in something like "axe" and your character will then be given an actual axe to chop the tree down. You'll be hard-pressed to think of an object that the game can't recognize, but just on the off-chance that you do, Unlimited has you covered with its amazing item creation function.

Not only can you design your own items, you can combine multiple items together into one brand new creation. You'll then be able to not only name the object, but adjust just about every facet of that object down to how it's used, reacts in the game, and functions. The amount of customization in this object creation tool feels nearly limitless and this mode ends up being every bit as fun as the game itself, if you're willing to put in the time to learn to make full use of it.

As you'd expect from the series so far, the storyline is quite amazing and gives you a lot of challenges to complete. The free-roaming design of the levels allows you to navigate through them in your own unique way, while there's also a very smooth difficulty curve to allow players of all ages and skill levels to enjoy the experience at their own pace. Of course, having the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen at your disposal gives this a familiar feel to the portable versions, but there's nothing quite like seeing such a gorgeous title play out on an HDTV.

After playing the Scribblenauts titles on a handheld for so long it's a bit shocking to see it playing out so well on the big screen. The attention to detail shows that the developers have put a lot of time and effort into giving the console version a big step up in graphics; when you toss in the unique input functionality of the Wii U GamePad controller, you get a perfect fit for the Scribblenauts universe and yet another title to put on your Wii U wish list for the holidays.

BenAV

BenAV said:

The first one was fun, the second was a huge improvement (due to the controls more than anything else) and this one seems to be another big improvement.
I'll probably get it, maybe not right at first unless it's amazing but at least at some stage.
And pretty sure I want the Wii U version rather than the 3DS one.

edhe

edhe said:

My most anticipated game of the system.

I did sell my Scribblenauts 1, but I was hoping to get Super Scribblenauts - I never did. But I'll gladly buy this one.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I think I might just jump back into Scribblenauts for Unlimited, although the 3DS version will be the more likely option for me since I don't plan to get a WiiU at launch. The burned feeling I've had since I leapt headfirst into the original game - which I felt was a fun time-waster as a sandbox-y toy, but often frustrating and borderline broken when it was trying to be a video game - is finally starting to wear off.

Rensch

Rensch said:

This is going to be better than ever. Think of something, write it down and it will pop up. If it doesn't appear, just make it yourself. How on earth could this still go wrong with such hardware, such a great concept and the quality of the first two games.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Making items yourself if even the game doesn't recognize it at first can truly make this unlimited. It sounds really cool and I would like to get this Wii U version at some point.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

How have they dealt with the main problem the previous games had? The fact that once you have the power to do anything, everything becomes boring. It's brilliant at first - but creativity isnt required when puzzles can be solved simply with god and a jetpack, and giving achievements for typing every word in the dictionary feels unnecessary.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I love the title screens for both Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts but I'll admit, I haven't touched the levels in Super Scribblenauts for a long time. Beating the level pars along with the fact that guns (and I think jetpacks/wings) wouldn't let you shoot/fly forever meant that you planned your item use. Maybe you used that pickax you wanted later in the level as a weapon instead of using a gun and a pickax. Now you just get a gun and use it for the whole level. Which means that anything involving platforming or fighting is now pointless. Which means they replaced that with puzzles that aren't really that fun. So after beating them, I went back to the title screen. This looks better though.

eternalstar0211

eternalstar0211 said:

I love all the scribblenauts games. Is the custom object creation tool only available with the Wii U version of the game?

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

How does the multiplayer work? Since this is the first version of the game for the TV, my first thoughts go to finally being able to experiment with this game alongside another player.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Never played a single game in the series but I'm actually really intrigued with this and so far I'm wobbling back and forth between 'go for it' and 'why spend the money?' - Can anyone push me in either direction?

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

@Geonjaha Despite the fact that i loved Scribblenauts,i have to agree with you.

Although,i will be buying this for the 3DS,hopefully it turns out ok.

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

@LavaTwilight, scribblenaughts is a massive timewaster and very fun. You can create literally anything and then they can be used (a laser gun you could pick up and destroy your other creations such as a sea monster or dragon). The things you make could be gods, clothing, monsters, weapons and buildings!
The only fault I could find in the game was when it couldn't make the object but this will be resolved in unlimited.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I really enjoyed the first Scribblenauts game but I never got around to picking up the second one. I thought it was really unique and a very ambitious idea for a video game. I always wondered what it would be like to play this game on a home console and now I will finally be able to. I'm interested to see how this game makes the translation from handheld to the big screen. I will definitely be picking this game up as soon as it comes out. :)

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Love the Scribblenauts series, so I will definally pick this up maybe for 3ds if I don't have a Wii U by the time this comes out.

James

James said:

Loved playing this on Tuesday. I turned a 'spectacular raptor' into a dinosaur with wheels, a baby's head and an elephant's trunk. The greatest game ever.

Supereor

Supereor said:

LittleBigPLANET PlayStation Vita is going to go harder against Scribblenauts Unlimited Nintendo 3DS than ever before! LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!