E3 2012: Download Titles Confirmed for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A good start for Wii U eShop?

They weren't mentioned in the press conference, but a group of download games have been formally confirmed for Holiday launches on Wii U, though it's unclear whether any will be available at launch. We've already covered Trine 2: Director's Cut and Chasing Aurora, so now we'll show you the rest.

Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Cloudberry Kingdom

Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes

Do any of those excite you?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I was gonna get Runner2 on my Xbox, but if it's coming to Wii U then I'll get it on that platform instead!

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Isn't it a bit unusual for the Gaijin team to be making direct sequels, instead of spiritual successors?

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

What's up with Runner 2? hate the new look, much prefer the pixelated style.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

You guys here in the comments know this was previously mentioned for release on the Wii U, right? I mean, it may have just been a rumor, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I wish they'd given some details about the Wii U Shop. I guess I'm going to be worried until Nintendo confirms that they'll continue the Virtual Console on Wii U. Anyone concerned that it hasn't been mentioned? Also want to know about transferring my Wii downloads to Wii U...

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Cloudberry Kingdom may have an amazing title, but the actual game looks like some indie-fied pretty I-phone PC title. I'm honestly getting turned off more and more by these indie produced titles. Even though i totaly dug Bit Trip Runner(1 and 2nd world) for some reason I'm just not too thrilled for it's sequal...Must be the art style or environment/location at least for that world.

ueI

ueI said:

Why haven't I heard of Cloudberry Kingdom? That game looks amazing! I don't think I could handle any difficulty past unpleasant, however. I also think Runner 2 looks worse than Runner.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@FluttershyGuy "Also want to know about transferring my Wii downloads to Wii U..."
Yeah, it seems like they told us as little as possible except that there will be dance, sports and fitness games. I don't understand how they can announce so many games without a launch date, downloadable games w/o telling us what we'll be storing them on, and what about all of our Wii downloads?

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

I enjoyed Bit.Trip. Unlike other companies, which make unplanned and unnecessary sequels that don't make sense story-wise, Gaijin had a series planned out with a start and finish.
So what did they make next? A sequel to the fourth of the six game series. Perhaps this isn't the best example, but what if after finishing Harry Potter, Rowling wrote a sequel to Goblet of Fire?
Part of me actually believed that God of War 3, Halo Reach and Gears of War 3 would be the last in their respective franchises. After all, there was a huge deal made about each one being the final chapter. And this year? Another of each.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Only one that's new to me is Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes. That looks pretty good. It sells for like 1€ on the Xbox, right?

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

@FluttershyGuy According to ABC News in the US, "Scott Moffitt, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Nintendo, said that in addition to Wii discs being backwards-compatible on the new Wii U, digital game collections purchased over the Wii Virtual Console will also be transferable over to the Wii U"

and further:

"Moffitt said that there will be a bit of restructuring of how their login IDs/accounts work with the Wii U; he told us, “You will have an individual account based system. Each member of your family might have their own account.” "

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Yay for Runner 2 on Wii U. Now I've got a new controller to throw through the TV.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

@Bass_X0 "Not excited. Tired now. Wake me up when Dreamcast games are downloadable on Wii U VC."
Don't forget unlike you & me not everyone has a cable Internet connection.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'd love to see LostWinds 3, Toki Tori 2, NightSky, LaMulana, and others on here as soon as possible.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Runner 2 could be fun since the original is great. But I am not so sure about that new artstyle.

As for Aban hawkins, could be fun....if it ever gets released! It's from Nicalis, after all!

"I'd love to see LostWinds 3"

Oh yeah! It would be even better if Lostwinds 3 would be a fully fledged retail game! I would love it!