Nintendo Reveals Console and Software Sales Statistics

Posted by James Newton

DS top of the pile

Nintendo's released updated sales figures for all its consoles, and it's certainly a lot of numbers.

The company's three current platforms — 3DS, Wii and the DS family — sit at a combined global sales figure of 264.5 million consoles sold. That figure's dwarfed by the software statistic: over 1.76 billion games have been sold for all three machines combined.

Here's the breakdown of where each console stands. Figures include sales up to and including 31st March 2012, but do not include games sold via download.

Nintendo 3DS

Software: 818.46m
Best-selling titles: Wii Sports — 79.60m
Mario Kart Wii — 32.44m
Wii Sports Resort — 30.14m
Wii Play — 28.02m
New Super Mario Bros. Wii — 26.26m

And, just for fun, the lifetime hardware and software sales for Nintendo's past machines.

Game Boy Advance family

Hardware: 49.10m
Software: 379.06m

NES

Hardware: 61.91m
Software: 500.01m

Grand Totals

Adding together all Nintendo console and hardware sales results in the following staggering figures:

Total Nintendo hardware sales: 630.38m
Total Nintendo software sales: 3.955 billion

That's a lot of coins.

[via nintendo.co.jp, nintendo.co.jp]

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Wow, it's crazy that, for the newest 3 consoles, people only average 5 games for their system! This is a sharp decline from the past! I have 12 3DS games already and about 40 Wii games, but all my DS games were stolen :S.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, all those numbers make my head feel numb. The DS and Wii completely overpowered all the other consoles with their sales!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Gamecube only sold 21 million and N64 only 32 million? Holy crap that's horrible. And I love those systems.

thedanman64

thedanman64 said:

Nintendo DS sales: 151.52m
Playstation 2 sales: 154.4m

A few million more and the DS will be the best selling console ever. Keep it up, DS!

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

HOLY **** (insert the stars yourself) THATS FREAKING EPIC cmon 3 million more dses and then best selling console rofl

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

@C-Olimar Well, I have way more download titles on my 3DS and Wii than physical ones (and maybe slightly more on my DSi, but I don't think so - I got a LOT of games for that). So, kinda makes sense to me.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

The Gamecube had the worst sales, but each hardware sale saw 10 software sales which is higher than any other console on the list. Would I be wrong if I broke that 20m figure into being the same amount as the number of Nintendo faithful people in the world? I think not.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Sorry, my bad, the average is way off! Not sure where I got that figure from...

@Jumbif Guess that makes sense. I only have 2 download titles on Wii. However, on 3DS, I have around 50 download titles, including every non-golfing 3DSWare (in Europe)!

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

I think it's funny when people say Nintendo is a "dying" company. From the stats, they're coming to life!

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Well, the DS family sold 5 million last fiscal year; with a price cut, they might be able to make 3 million more this Xmas, but Nintendo probably doesn't want to cannibalize its 3DS sales.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@C-Olimar Well, I only own 2 3DS retail games so owning an average of 5 retail doesn't seem like so little to me. But I don't plan on stopping their of course.

Emaan

Emaan said:

The DS is so close! Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 will definitiely help it reach the sales it needs to become the best selling game system of all time.

I-U

I-U said:

I wonder, what if titles like B/W 2 are coming for DS due to Nintendo wanting to surpass the PS2 in addition to having a big game release for a big user base?

thatoneguy4419

thatoneguy4419 said:

How could Kid Icarus: Uprising get left out on the 3DS sales? And how did Pokemon Heart Gold And Soul Silver fall behind on the DS? Dang... D: