Download Play Confirmed for Mario Tennis Open

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Share a set with friends

The upcoming Mario Tennis Open was discussed in today's European Nintendo Direct, with some specifics announced on multiplayer and Mii customisation. The most significant detail for tennis players hoping to take on friends and family was the confirmed inclusion of Download Play for local multiplayer, allowing up to four players to enjoy a match from one copy of the game: no details were given on the options available in this mode, though they're sure to be more limited than full multiplayer.

The Mii customisation was fleshed out, with confirmation that there will be over 200 items to collect and apply to your character, affecting power, spin and movement. The trailer also showed a brief glimpse of tilt controls being used alongside the touchscreen, no doubt to make the game accessible to more players.

So, if you want to play friends you won't all need a copy of the game to do so. The lack of an RPG mode is apparently due to the inclusion of Mii customisation, meanwhile, so does 200 unlockable items compensate for that?

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

Sounds awesome. I loved the RPG segments in Mario Tennis Power Tour, but I'll give that up for online and a ton of Mii customization.

Late

Late said:

Now arr the 3DS prayers can pray without owning the game. *Trying to sound like Satoru Shibata speaking English :) *

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

This doesn't really affect me based on my number of real life friends with 3DS, but the rest of the stuff they showed on this game just makes me more pumped.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Hopefully there will be a Donkey Kong suit and some Wario gear among those 200 Mii accessories.

y2josh

y2josh said:

The lack of a RPG mode still disheartens me. The items to collect are nice, but it still just feels like the easy way out. I'm sure I'll buy it when I can afford it though.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I'd rather have an RPG mode than 200 accessories. I bet that there will only be about 10-15 accessories that people will want to use.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Yeah, this game got me at 200 items. I do like the RPG mode in Power Tour, but I'm over that.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Those 200 items may allow for a lot of varied multiplayer matches, so in the long run that is more interesting to me than an RPG mode that I will beat once and never touch again.