3DS Stays on Top in Japanese Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

As you were

Some things remain the same from one week to the next: there aren't enough hours in the day reserved for gaming, speculative Wii U rumours spread like wild-fire, and 3DS reigns supreme at the top of the Japanese hardware chart. As shown by the latest Media Create figures, provided by Andriasang, Nintendo's latest handheld is continuing to dominate.

It's not all rosy in the 3DS garden, as the system did see a drop in sales, along with almost all of the other systems in the hardware chart. That said, it still outsold all other consoles combined with a grand total 63,796 units over the week. The handheld also did well in the software charts with six titles in the top ten, including those old stalwarts Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3 G, which have all been merrily flying off Japanese shelves since late last year. Super Mario 3D Land notably passed the 1.5 million mark in the country with this week's sales, while Kid Icarus: Uprising is hanging out with the big guns in fifth place.

It seems that Wii is on its last legs, unfortunately, with just 6837 consoles sold. Overall though, it's another good week for Nintendo in its homeland.

[via andriasang.com]

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Kid Icarus Uprising is fifth? Too high.

Glad to see the 3DS selling so well. But seriously, how many copies of Monster Hunter 3G need to sell in order to get it over here to the states?

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I wonder how the 3DS is doing in sales in comparison with the PSVita in Europe and North America? Sony's been very hush-hush about sales numbers for these regions.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm guessing the other two 3DS titles in the top 10 are Kingdom hearts: Dream drop distance and Miku Hatsune: project Mirai?

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Kid Icarus would be so much higher if it was a sequel. Uprising is quite simply the best game I have ever played on a handheld device and they hype that this game will make for the next one is gonna be huge.

RR529

RR529 said:

Good to see KI:U hanging out in the top ten. I'm not going to get into an argument whether it's too high or low, I'm just glad it's performing strongly. Let's hope it does at least well enough in other territories as well, so Nintendo will consider giving us a sequel somewhere down the line a few years from now.

Glad to also hear KH:DDD is in the top ten as well, as mullen confirmed. I can't wait to get it over here in the States :)

Emaan

Emaan said:

Yay for Kid Icarus in the top 10! Wish it was higher, but I'm glad it's at least up there. Can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, obviously its selling great over in Japan, so excited!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

At least Kid Icarus Uprising is in the top ten. It's still in the top five at that, so I hope it stays among the top ten long enough to convince Nintendo to keep the Kid Icarus series alive. Although, with all the quality and effort put into it, it deserves to do better.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I wish 3ds would sell better here in the states. People are too hung up on fps' and iphone apps... Makes me sad :(

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is second in the chart, the same position it held last week :)

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising in fifth?
The rent is too dang high..
Oh, but KI deserves to be higher.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

Well, the Wii is on is last months. When the Wii U comes out, everyone is just gonna forget about the Wii just like they did with the DS when the 3DS came out. The only reason people kept their DSi's was cuz of Flipnote Studio.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Fifth place is pretty good for Kid Icarus, hopefully it can stay up there for a while.
It deserves much better, but I think the fact that so many people have been complaining about its controls (despite them being absolutely perfect) will probably be having an effect on whether some people decide to give it a go or not.

Oceanous

Oceanous said:

I don't care about the ranking of the games. I'm just glad 3DS is the top selling device which means that Nintendo and other developers will pay even more attention to making games for 3DS.

And Sony being quiet about their Vita Sales might only mean that it's not doing well. Think about it, 3DS has been sold over 63,796 over the week, if Sony has sold more than that number, wouldn't you think that they would be bragging about it? Anyway, I don't want to bash Vita, it's a good machine, technologically speaking but like I've said, I'm just glad that 3DS is on the top and that means more development will be put into making games for it.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@grumblebuzzz

When a company is as quiet about numbers as Sony has been regarding North American sales of the Vita, that's usually not a good sign. I own one and think it's a fantastic piece of hardware, so I'm hoping it's doing better than the lack of numbers from Sony would suggest, reality is though, it's probably not doing great.

Enzo_V

Enzo_V said:

i remember when jack tretton said it was a babysitting gaming handheld epic fail xDD

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Reading these articles is very refreshing after all the constant 3DS is doomed stuff that was floating around on just about every other site. 3DS is here to stay and I'm loving it!