Nintendo Using Swapnote for Marketing Messages

Posted by James Newton

Your inbox is about to bulge

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced during his Nintendo Direct conference that the company will use Nintendo Letter Box to send game-related messages to 3DS owners.

Interestingly the service can target players of specific games — indeed, players of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D in Europe should keep their eyes peeled for a special Zelda-related note coming through the digital letterbox very soon.

A smart way to target interested players? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Savino

Savino said:

Nintendo really discovered the power of the internet with the 3DS!!!

FINALLY!!!!!

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Nintendo needs to give out some free stuff this way, like a discount code for a game or something.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Send me a Kid Icarus: Uprising note and I'll think Swapnote has realized its potential.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

That's cool, but I prefer when my special friend Nikki sends them over the recent Reggie messages >_<

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

I like to read this specially if those notes will be focused in games previously played, amazing system, non-invasive notes, just desired notes. Quite good idea =) ;)

Victoria

Victoria said:

Cool idea actually. I wonder if they'll come with themed stationery like the recent messages we've been getting?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Special Zelda related note...? Is this what was hinted at on the last page of next months Nintendo Power (it's sent 1 month ahead). They mentioned some kind of top secret project reveal.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I was sent the very special Zelda themed stationary via a friend a couple of hours ago, very cool and inspired me to play a bit of classic Zelda... I never bought LoZOoT3D so its good to see the special stationary can be shared with 3DS friends.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I agree with ClaytonLuigi. This would be a great way to distribute digital coupons for eshop games, especially if it could know what games you like based on what you play. "We noticed you liked Ocarina 3D, so here's a 15% discount on Link's Awakening!" Sounds good to me!

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

This is definitely a good idea. They get to promote stuff, and we get cool new stationary. Win-win 8D