Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva DVD Out 8th November

Posted by James Newton

Worth investigating

After a successful première at New York Comic Con, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is set for a DVD release in just a few days.

VIZ Media has announced the film will see release North America on 8th November, with a recommended retail price of $19.97 U.S. or $19.98 CAN, though you can buy it direct for $14.99. It'll be subbed and dubbed, though there's no other bonuses that we know of.

Will you be investigating this release?

Oh yes, and bonus points for spotting the spelling mistake.

Based On The Popular Nintendo Video Game, Tea-Loving Archeologist And Polymath Sets Out To Solve His Toughest Puzzle Yet!

San Francisco, CA, November 1, 2011 – VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), the largest distributor and licensor of anime and manga in North America, will release a new anime feature-length film, PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE ETRENAL DIVA, on DVD November 8th. The movie is based on the highly popular PROFESSOR LAYTON series of video games for the Nintendo DS and will be suitable for All Ages. The DVD features both subtitled and dubbed English dialogue options, and will carry an MSRP of $19.97 U.S. / $19.98 CAN.

Professor Layton, a true English gentleman, renowned archaeologist, and the world’s greatest amateur super sleuth, embarks on his most daring adventure yet when he receives a letter from his old student, the famous opera diva Janice Quatlane. She is set to perform at the legendary Crown Petone Opera House and invites him to attend as her special guest. Meanwhile, a spate of disappearances hits London. Two young school girls are the latest victims and the Professor suspects it’s related to the mysterious occurrences at the theatre. The Professor and his loyal assistant Luke travel to the Opera House to solve their toughest puzzle yet, the mystery of Eternal Life!

“PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE ETERNAL DIVA combines plenty of action and mystery with intriguing puzzles and a healthy dose of fun English wit to make for an inviting whodunit sure to captivate a wide audience,” says Brian Ige, Vice President, Animation. “The many puzzles that made the original Nintendo DS video game a hit are also present throughout the new feature film, and viewers are allowed time to formulate their own solutions to the riddles and brainteasers before Professor Layton provides the final answer. We invite new and established fans alike to join the fun as the Professor searches to solve the mysteries of Eternal Life hidden at the Crown Petone Opera House!”

The PROFESSOR LAYTON video game series is one of the most successful Nintendo DS exclusive titles. In addition to the popular movie, which was released in Japan in 2009, the property features five games developed by Level-5 for the Nintendo DS as well as two more game titles for the Nintendo 3DS. The games each feature various puzzles and mysteries that must be solved in order to advance to the next level.

Thanks to Mark W. for the tip!

[via activeanime.com, store.viz.com]

Late

Late said:

I've seen the movie already. I wouldn't mind if they would make another.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

The sooner they release the 3DS Layton games the better - I'd rather have those than a cartoon.

millarrp

millarrp said:

could be interesting. oh, the first capitalised eternal is spelled etrenal

Grackler

Grackler said:

I saw this a while ago, and it was in English too, is this just a State-side release?

47drift

47drift said:

Truly a beautiful movie, I've seen it numerous times now. I wonder if they'll release it on Blu-Ray. I think I'd hold out for that if it was ever announced.

Katzii

Katzii said:

@Grackler - you can probably get the DVD version for about a fiver online at Amazon or Play. We got it over a year ago as @C-Olimar mentioned, in DVD, Blu-Ray, and Special Edition Blu-Ray boxset flavours.

Noire

Noire said:

"Etrenal" actually

NOW I want bonus points!

It's funny they then went on to spell it completely right about a paragraph later...

though they should really just use one spelling of archaeologist...

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

I guess they were holding out in the US until the fourth game was released, as the film is set just after this point in the timeline. We didn't have any such qualms here heh... //pats the three disc Special Edition on his shelf

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Nice to see video games make their way into other media forms. Done right, that is.

Punny

Punny said:

WHUUUUUUUUUT???? A good video game related movie? I just became a monkey's uncle. :D

Grackler

Grackler said:

@5, 6, 9 ah I see, I though so, I just wasn't sure if my Layton-loving mate hadn't got a copy from foreign climbs! It's a shame the States had to wait, but it does make more sense after the 4th game introduces some of the characters! (A side note: I thought it wasn't half-bad, an enjoyable animated romp)

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Ah, love this film - glad to see you yanks finally get to see one of the truly GOOD videogame films in existence!

I got it from the UK ages ago, and I definitely don't regret it...I hope the supposed second film actually comes out!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I'll probably just watch it on youtube, as I can't imagine wanting to watch it more than once. Thanks for the link, misswliu81... ;)