Hudson Continues Its Virtual Console Support with Adventure Island II

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

OFLC reveals that Hudson's still got some retro plans

When it was announced that the North American branch of Hudson Soft would be shutting down just last week in order to focus on more "casual" games for Konami, many people took it as a sign that the company would also drop its remaining Virtual Console support.

Thankfully, this is not the case, as the latest OFLC ratings update has revealed that they've got at least one more classic heading to the service. As Japan got it in December, it might have been pretty easy to see this one coming, too - It's Adventure Island II for the NES, the sequel to the game that's been available for many years.

Everybody knows the first game was really just a slightly changed port of Wonder Boy, but from the second game onwards the series did things a little differently. Master Higgins is a bit simpler to control, and aside from a skateboard, he can also hitch rides on the backs of friendly dinosaurs, which increases his mobility further and gives him an extra hit.

Of course, we have no idea when the game will be hitting Virtual Console, but you can already start getting excited for it, as it's quite good.

[via classification.gov.au]

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Oh man, this is THE Adventure Island that got me started on the series. Oh how I have an axe to grind into ye!!!!! :D

EDIT: Make that a Tomahawk :)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I'd like to see more than one game announced, but at this point I'll take what I can get.

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

At least we know that Hudson ain't dead yet. But next time we see a Bomberman game, it might be under Konami's logo.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

This has nothing to do with the recent news about Hudsons North American branch. This is for a European release and need I remind everyone that we here in the states never got Faxanadu or Super Bonk. Take from that what you will but it doesn't look good for American Hudson fans.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I'm actually excited for this one to hit the VC. It's not great but I really enjoyed it.

advance_melee

advance_melee said:

I remember playing this game so much for my NES.. I loved it... So amazing this deserves a 9 atleast

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

These three NES games are great. They get better with each new release. If you like New Adventure Island, you'll love these.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

These three NES games are great.

Four. We didn't get the fourth one though.

Link79

Link79 said:

Well that's certainly a light at the end of the tunnel! I enjoyed all three Nes Adventure Island games. I'll get them all if they eventually make it to VC. I'm probably just getting my hopes up but I guess it could happen. The Snes ones would be nice too.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Awesome. I played the original a lot as a kid and hear good things about AI2, so I am sure I will download this title!

NapalmHornet

NapalmHornet said:

Hopefully the adventure island Game Boy games get released onto the 3DS virtual console, but this is awsome too

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Awesome news! I was all about the original when I was younger, and I remember playing the 2nd briefly and riding that dinosaur and digging the new funky map. :p

vio

vio said:

Great news, but they better still release Super Bonk in NA! And let's not forget about Adventure Island 3 either.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Pretty cool news.
I hope they release Adventure Island 4 at some point down the road, that one is the best in my opinion.
It was only released in Japan and had some RPG elements to it as well.
It would be priced as an import obviously, but it would be worth it.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Glad to hear that Adventure Island II for the NES is going to be released to the Virtual Console someday. :)
I have the Game Boy port Adventure Island, which I just beat for the first time today.