Podcast: NLFM Episode 11: A Holiday Season in FLUX

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Take a sneak peek at the final BIT.TRIP, sigh at simians, sneak along with a secret agent and get into the spirit of the season

We look to the future here at Nintendo Life. Why, take this episode of NLFM, the little ol' chip and game music podcast we've got going: it's got an exclusive first listen of the soundtrack to Gaijin Games' upcoming BIT.TRIP FLUX and goes simultaneously back and forth in time with one of the best tunes to ever come out of the Metal Gear series.

We're also people of our time, eavesdropping on the just-released WiiWare title lilt line as well as catering to the holiday season now in full swing thanks to some nifty chip musicians.

Lest we forget our past, we zoom back and remember some of the atrocities Donkey Kong has committed on the world of music, and then toss in some Viewtiful Joe for the hell of it.

Have a seat, fill a cup and don't say "when":

1. Grant Kirkhope — DK Rap (Donkey Kong 64)
2. Buckner & Garcia — Do The Donkey Kong (Pac-Man Fever [iTunes])
3. Koji Kondo and Asuka Ota — Frozen Hyrule (The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures)
4. Arranged by Toshiyuki Sudo — Ice Climbers (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
5. Rush Coil — O Christmas Tree (8bit Christmas)
6. Hally — Xmas Song Megamix (Plastic Sputnik Arcade Punk) (Holy 8bit Night plus)
7. Masakazu Sugimori and Masami Ueda — Inferno Lord (Scorching King Fire Leo’s Theme) (Viewtiful Joe)
8. 16 bit — In the Death Car (lilt line)
9. Gaijin Games — Epiphany (BIT.TRIP FLUX)
10. Norihiko Hibino and Cynthia Harrell — Snake Eater (Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D)

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

In case you've missed out on the fun so far, NLFM generally focuses on music from games playable on Nintendo consoles and handhelds, which, thanks to the Virtual Console, also includes the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo and Commodore 64. It's not all games either as we highlight chip musicians and albums we really like.

To prevent the plunging into the Nether realm that comes with missing episodes, subscribe to our Podcast feed (using iTunes) or download it using this direct link. You can also find us on iTunes (don't forget to rate us!), so show the podcasts some love as there is plenty more good stuff lined up for the future.

Also be sure to send in your musical contributions, requests and what have you to help make NLFM way more rad.

invmat

invmat said:

I heard the first song from Beat Transition very clearly and some SFX from Runner's 3rd world in extra mode in the Flux music. It sounded very positive, and indeed dreamy, just like Runner.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

"He's the first, member, of, the D,K,Crew, HUNGH!"
Oh ho ho, I remember that well. It was probably my favorite thing from the N64 days.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

That FLUX music was absolutely beautiful. I wonder if they meant to do this when they originally composed TRANSITION?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Tom Lehrer reference FTW!:D

I think the DK Rap is better than Do the Donkey Kong. Which is a shame, since I actually LIKE Pac-Man Fever, which occasionally plays on the radio at work, much to the chagrin of some of my coworkers.;)

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

At Soulsilver Try not to post the same thing here and on Facebook, unless you don't care if people actually know who you are

Yoshi_2000

Yoshi_2000 said:

On Super Smash bros. Melee, they replaced "hell" with "heck" in DK rap, making it slightly more lamer.

Pikamoon

Pikamoon said:

The FLUX music is awesome. Really chilling and I can't wait to find out, what FLUX will be like.

vakama94

vakama94 said:

yay for that viewtiful joe song, also, Epiphany sounds like Transition of Bit.Trip Beat, ID of Bit.Trip Void and Triumph of Bit.Trip Runner and for a moment it had that dubstep style of Fate, which is good, i can´t wait to see how the game looks like

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Is it just me or is "Do the Donkey Kong" the best song of all time (in a campy way, of course)?

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

O Christmas Tree, Epiphany, and Snake Eater were my favorites. O Christmas Tree was fast-paced and frantic, just how I like my chiptunes, Epiphany was both beautiful and kickin' at the same time, and Snake Eater is just an awesome track period. (It kind of reminds me of the Tina Turner "GoldenEye" track, too, oddly enough) Nice podcast, Jon! :)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

I spoiled myself aurally for Runner by watching trailers and listening to NLFM. I'm sorry, I can't do that with Flux. :(