La-Mulana Falls Back to 2011, Developer Apologises

Posted by James Newton

Time warp

WiiWare adventure La-Mulana has had a tricky year of it so far, with the biggest blow when it failed Nintendo's lotcheck last month. Now developer Nigoro has admitted the game will not be out in 2010, with its most sincere of apologies.

As a result, we come to the conclusion we abandoned to release it in 2010.
Because, it’s better to enhance the completeness instead of completing it roughly in a hurry. We are so sorry.

Above all, we are sorry for the people who are waiting LA-MULANA. And also, we are sad to be considered that NIGORO is always late.

In an effort to make it up to its long-suffering fans, Nigoro is now aiming to release its “Hell Sanctuary" downloadable content at the same time as the game itself, sometime in 2011.

[via la-mulana.com]

Omega

Omega said:

La-Mulana is easily the most terrible game I've played in the last five years. I hate it. It's so freaking hard and abstruse that in comparison even the first Castlevania game is easy like taking candy from a kid.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

Difficult =/= Bad game. Not by a long shot.

Anyways, it's a shame that it's being delayed, though I'm not really liking the updated visuals, though I can understand why they feel the need to. It just doesn't look the same without it's homage MSX graphics.

pixelman

pixelman said:

@Zarro: Nicalis is behind NightSky, Cave Story, and La Mulana, all of which have been delayed to kingdom come.

Omega

Omega said:

I have beaten 99% of La-Mulana. The last boss fight against MOTHER is pretty hard. But the worst thing about it is: When you die you will be send back all the way to the beginning of the game and have to walk through two big areas full with enemies to start the boss battle again (you can't avoid that even if you use teleporters). This is so annoying I can't even tell you. After doing it 20 times I quitted the game and never touched it again since then.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this doesn't take as long to come to eu as cave story did and I also hope that the dsiware version of cave story comes to eu soon. But I'm not sure that I would want it if you get sent back to the beginning of the game in the wiiware version. I hope that there is a save system in this version.

Omega

Omega said:

@mariofanatic: There is a save system in the PC version too. (The game is huge. It took me more than 20 days to even get to the last boss.) But you start always at the same point and have to use so called teleport-shrines to get to where you want to go.

This is usually not a big problem but in case of the last boss fight it's a pain because you can't directly get near to the boss. You have to walk a loooong way instead. I would say if you want to beat your games and feel bad about not doing so (like me), you better pass on this one. Cave Story is way easier.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@Omega:
Well, La-Mulana takes pride in being hardcore. The developers explicitly said it's specifically aimed for those who grew up playing MSX games, especially Maze of Galious, which was quite difficult too.
That said, they also said the WiiWare version of La-Mulana will be more user-friendly. How exactly, I'm not sure. We'll see come 2011...

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

@pixelman Nicalis goes on vacation every-other month. Their delay rate is to be expected by now.

@Omega The game doesn't suck because you suck at the game. There is nothing wrong with the final boss being an endurance run, either. Nonetheless, I'm sure you hadn't even written down a specific order of which to harm her, later in the fight - so you'd probably never have won ANYWAY.

@Everyoneelse
Stop talking about other games. This is La Mulana here. Go spam the forum or something. :x

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

"Because, it’s better to enhance the completeness instead of completing it roughly in a hurry."
That's something Sega needs to learn, otherwise most of the recent Sonic games wouldn't have flopped!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Yes, Nicalis, if this is delayed, and you're finished with Cave Story, please release NightSky! I've been waiting!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@ZarroTsu: Everyone's pretty much sticking to relevant points here; if they'd rather see NightSky, so what if they say so? I don't see the problem. :/

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Better to be late and not filled with bugs. As long as it is polished when it's released, this is fine.

Omega

Omega said:

@GeminiSaint: I have played and beaten Maze of Galious and I can assure you it is not nearly as hard and confusing as La-Mulana. I really enjoyed it.

@ZarroTsu: Ah yes, I know the tactic how to beat the last boss. What turned me off is the fact that, if you die, you always start at the surface and have to walk a long way back to the true shrine.

Omega

Omega said:

@kkslider5552000: Yes, it was done on purpose. But I think that the difficulty is not very well balanced. I'm sure that there are people who love it nonetheless. If you are a masochist and if you enjoy slamming your fingers in a car door then this is the perfect game for you. :-)

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Next year?
Ah well, as long as I get to play it at all is fine with me.
But wait, this game is really as hard as people say?
I love a challenge, so long as I don't end up ripping my hair out.