Dragon Quest VI is Nintendo's Valentine's Gift to You, North America

Posted by James Newton

Western debut for classic RPG

Following on from the success of Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Nintendo has confirmed it'll bring predecessor Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation to North America on February 14th 2011.

The game was originally released in Japan on the Super Famicom back in 1995 and never saw a release in the Western hemisphere, but now a retooled and translated version of the title is heading to DS in February.

Interestingly the game's official page states the number of players is "to be determined", hopefully paving the way for a canvass mode that helped to make Dragon Quest IX such a success.

We'll have plenty more news and information about Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation before its release on February 14th.

Enhanced Version of Classic Role-Playing Game Launches for Nintendo DS Systems on Feb. 14

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today gave video game fans across North America something sweet to look forward to on Valentine’s Day, and it has nothing to do with flowers or chocolates. On Feb. 14, DRAGON QUEST® VI: Realms of Revelation™ – previously unavailable outside of Japan – will make its North American debut exclusively on the hand-held Nintendo DS™ family of systems. Combining classic role-playing adventure with new character options and enhancements, the game offers hours of imaginative DRAGON QUEST fun spanning several unique game worlds that can be enjoyed on the go.

DRAGON QUEST VI: Realms of Revelation features a rich storyline that leads players through a multitude of captivating worlds as they gather allies and battle fierce monsters on a quest to defeat evil forces. With updated graphics and more than 15 character classes to choose from, new and experienced players alike can dive headlong into the timeless role-playing excitement of the DRAGON QUEST franchise anytime, anywhere. They can even enjoy special features such as switching between character classes and letting monsters, such as Slimes, join their party.

“Millions of players around the world have discovered the timeless fun of DRAGON QUEST,” said Marc Franklin, Nintendo of America’s director of Public Relations. “The arrival of DRAGON QUEST VI: Realms of Revelation in North America will give fans unique access to a classic game in the series for the first time, offering new ways to explore and enjoy the DRAGON QUEST universe.”

Originally released in 1995 for Japan’s Super Famicom system (known in the U.S. as Super NES™), DRAGON QUEST VI: Realms of Revelation challenges players to explore multiple worlds as they confront the many problems caused by the evil Murdaw. Players can choose from nine starting classes and unlock others as they progress through the game.

For more information about DRAGON QUEST VI: Realms of Revelation, visit http://dragonquest6.nintendo.com.

Roo

Roo said:

Good stuff. Not played anything from the series, but always good to see different games get a chance in the west.

Punny

Punny said:

I'll have to consider liking Valentine's Day for a change. Count me in for more Dragon Quest! I'll need to play more Dragon Quest IX over my holiday break...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This was a really great game. I've played through the Super Famicom version numerous times and loved it.

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

I haven't bought a DS game in ages... guess it's time to pick up a copy of Dragon Quest IX and prepare for VI's release. Or at least rent it. Great news!

pixelman

pixelman said:

Woah, its T? Didn't see that one coming. Anyway, I doubt I'll get this. If I want to waste 30 hours of my life grinding through the same boring battle over and over again, I have Dragon Quest 9 for that.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This one is a bit more interesting, story-wise, than DQV. There are also a lot more surprises in this one. I like V, but VI to me is just a better overall game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Square-Enix doesn't seem interested in Publishing this series anymore do they? Guess that means no DQ Monsters Joker 2, eh?

blink83

blink83 said:

FF pwns. Well I've never played DQ before, and hey why is Nintendo publishing this if enix made it to start with?

pikku

pikku said:

@Od. same here. Dragon Quest 8 for the PS2 was T also, but many of the desriptors in this one have 'mild' before them...so my guess would be the gambling, actually. from what I hear, DQV had quite an addictive gambling minigame, but it was rated E10, but this one is also published by Nintendo, so maybe they had something to do with it.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Sweet, never played VI. I guess i need to finally get back to, and finish, IX. =)
And Corbs, VI is better than V? Cool. I'm psyched, since V is amazing, and my favorite in the series (of those i've played).

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@pikmaniac02: Don't worry, my friend. It's still findable if you scower the out-of-the-way stores... but I'd still act quickly. Once VI hits, it may very well be all over.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

This is fantastic news. While, like Corbie, I own the SFC version, it'll be great to finally have this remake.

pikku

pikku said:

@MasterGraveHeart ok thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for someplace that has it. I'd prefer to pay less than 35$ for it, but that might not be possible lol

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I was wondering if/when this would come out. I probably won't wait for it to come over here & just import it fron the US. Thanks Nintendo!