This Video Wants You to Know uDraw Studio is for Artists Too

Posted by James Newton

David Kassan makes a masterpiece

THQ's uDraw Studio may have been revealed as an art game for all the family, but that's not to say it can't be used to create impressively detailed portraits when used by experienced and talented professional artists.

American painter David Kassan got to grips with the uDraw GameTablet and uDraw Studio software at Gamescom in Cologne, and the results are undeniably impressive. Cast your critic's eye over the trailer below and imagine countless hours spent in your opulent drawing room, intense concentration on your face as you attempt to capture the perfect likeness of your subject, only to become frustrated and draw phallic shapes all over your virtual canvas. One to watch.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

I saw this a minute before you posted it! So this wasn't news to me! :p
oh and it would be useful if you can export images on the SD card.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

:O WOW. Very impressive that this can be acheived. Not that I would be able to do anything like that!
LOL @ the drawing willies line James :D thats exactly what I would do :D

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

"And all of a sudden, the Wii becomes capable of displaying GOOD graphics!" ~ cynical PS360 fanboys.

But seriously, though, I wonder how much this will retail for. I'm guessing somewhere in the low triple digits, since tablets aren't cheap. Depending on the final cost, this might just be a close-to-day-one purchase.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I'm curious to how easy it would be to draw with this thing. What I mean is how accurate can your drawing be if the drawing is appearing on a different area than where you are drawing? As in, since you can't put the pen directly on where the drawing will show up, how will you know where to put your pen to attach an arm to a body? It seems a bit hard.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@6: Graphics tablets are a perfectly easy thing to draw with. They take a little adjusting, but many, many people use them for their arts. Go randomly browse deviantArt, I'll bet more than half of what you find (that isn't a photograph or literature) was drawn using a graphics tablet.

Colour (HAH!) me now very interested in this. Looks quite well-featured. Sure, it's no Photoshop, but Photoshop costs 4 digits. This could work out cheaper than a PC graphics tablet. If it's <£100, I'm definately picking one up.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Destroyer360: in my experience, tablets will pick up on the pen if you move it around slightly above the drawing surface, allowing you to position the cursor. That's how you're able to see exactly where you're drawing on the screen; it only begins to draw on-screen when you actually press it to the drawing surface. :3

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

epic! hopefully theyl add a thing to export to facebook or sd card or something. thats oen of my favorite parts of art academy (dsiware, not retail), the ability to share!

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

well, if i handed it to my cousin the famous painter it would obviously sport better results than if i used it myself.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@Shockerz I don't think so. The lighting could've been different from the perspective of the artist. He probably saw more details than the camera did.

I'm really interested in this. Not just for myself but also because other members of my family love to draw.

Not that it's a necessary feature, but I wonder if you could do animations like in Mario Paint. Maybe by making several drawings you could animate them.

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

I dont use a tablet but thats only because i cant afford one
all i use is colored pencils then i take a picture of it(with a crappy camera) and post it on devaintart thats why lotz of my art is blurry

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

This looks very nice. I'm probably just going to be free drawing it whenever I get the chance, and not do those things that look like fill a color