Sonic Colours Breaks Sonic Cycle, says Producer

Posted by James Newton

Sonic Boom heard everywhere

Takashi Iizuka is a man of great experience in the games industry, having worked on Sonic titles since 1994's 16-bit send-off Sonic & Knuckles. Now head of Sonic Team, he's the man charged with glugging the poisoned chalice of reviving the blue hedgehog to his former glory, with Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 and Sonic Colours for Wii and DS both on the way before 2010's out. Can we expect Sonic Colours in particular to deliver? Yes, says Mr Iizuka. Yes we can.

Speaking to videogamer.com, Mr Iizuka said the title will not disappoint fans as previous outings have:

For this title in particular, the team is confident that this is a game everybody can really enjoy. It's something that the team is really confident from the gameplay side. It's something that, this time, the team thinks they've nailed it – it's definitely not going through the Sonic cycle!

The fact that the head of Sonic Team is aware of the Sonic Cycle suggests he takes it quite seriously, or that he's visited at least one video game website in the past ten years. You decide.

Sonic Colours for Wii and DS will be released later this year.

[via videogamer.com]

Related Games

James

James said:

If they mess up Sonic Colours on Wii, but Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours DS work out well, this will be Sonic's best year since 1994. Though that's not saying much, I suppose.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I'm confident this time. Just hope the controls are nailed, cause everything else looks good or really great.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I'm cautiously optomistic about Sonic Colors for Wii. Woudln't it be the most ironic thing if Sonic Colors rocked and Sonic 4 ended up stinking?

Of course, I hope this is not the case. I hope all three Sonic games are AAA experiences.

Retronaut

Retronaut said:

I'm still more excited for Sonic 4, but I will remain cautiously optimistic about this game. I mean, we can trust Sonic Team, right?

Right?

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Well, at the very least Sega knows that there's such a thing as the Sonic Cycle.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

As long they don't give his a Big over done lame story, like in the other Sonic Games we had so far.

I want less talky and more Running :P

AVahne

AVahne said:

I have confidence that the Sonic Team has finally gotten it right with a 3D Sonic game. The DS game is of course gonna be good, but the main worries have always been with the 3D ones. Sonic Colors gives me a slight Mario Galaxy feel, not as much as the actual experience, but it just makes me feel like this will be a pretty great game.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

The Wii version looks like the daytime stages from Sonic Unleashed, which makes me extreemely excited. And the DS one looks like a Sonic Rush 3, which is a good thing. And Sonic 4 is....well, Sonic 4, so it will be awesome. I agree with Pros, this is gonna be Sonic's best year. (Also Sonic & Sega All- Stars Racing was great!)

Soneekdude

Soneekdude said:

Oh boy. I really hope the Sonic Team does it this time.
Im tired of the done to death 3D Platforming and Stories.
Come on Sega, Dont mess this up.
Im pretty sure they're going to do something stupid, Like add a character or a storyline and overrused talking cutscenes in it.
DONT DO IT SEGA, DONT. Just make a good game like you used to.

Soneekdude

Soneekdude said:

@Blaketoberfest

Oh, tell me about it. I've been wanting Sega to have 1 "Great Year".
No 3D Platformers, Just a 2D Classic Form game like the upcoming Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

@Soneekdude: You realize the Wii Colors game will be a 2D/3D hybrid, right? Think Unleashed minus the Unleashed. I actually pushed through the Night stages in Unleashed just so i could play all the Day stages to my heart's content. :)

@lz: I take it you didn't enjoy the Adventure titles? They were awesome!

EDIT: Whoa, there's some weird stuff on this game's Wikipedia page. First of all, apparently they got new voice actors, and second, this line: "The script for Sonic Colors is written by MadWorld and Happy Tree Friends writers, Ken Pontac & Warren Graff." o_0

madgear

madgear said:

My biggest disappointment with Sonic games always comes from the music. Since playing Sonic CD, I always hope for some awesome dark techno tracks playing over the stages - yet it never comes close.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

We'll be holding you to that, man. You better be right. I'm looking to get both versions at some point.

greenellow

greenellow said:

OH S#@! this is funny they have the guy that did the voice of Chris Redfeild (RE5) and Ezio (Assassins Creed 2) to the voice of sonic now im definately getting sonic colors (im glad they finally got rid of jason which is probably the best thing thats happen to the series in a long time)

EDIT: oh and tails is voiced by the chick who voiced sakura from naruto which is a godsend since i hated the girly voice that tails had in recent sonic games

Punny

Punny said:

I know for sure that the DS version of the game is going to be fantastic (looks like Sonic Rush, which I thought was great). The Wii version should be good, if not better.

greenellow

greenellow said:

@ Xkhaoz i there isn't any videos of the new voice actors but there are sites with the news and and images of them (oh and eggman stays the same)

but if you want to hear some clips of sonic try http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Sonic-The-Hedgehog/Sonic-the-Hedgehog/ but roger craig smith's (sonic colors) is yet to be posted on there since the game hasn't released

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

I'm not actually looking forward to Sonic 4. Please don't kill me. I'd rather see a new 3D one, considering we have Sonic Rush (which I still need to beat. Shame on me).

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

Hmm, so Sonic team is aware of the this Sonic cycle. My theory that Sonic team were the ones that actually came up with the Sonic cycle is now starting to look more feasible lol.

Well either way I'm not all that interested in Sonic Colors right now, I'd rather just focus on Sonic 4 for the time being.

@madgear: I couldn't agree more. I still liked the music from the Sonic Adventure games though. (atleast the tracks without vocals anyway)

C7_

C7_ said:

I'd rather look forward to this than 5 episodic-games that will probably take their sweet time to become available.

Regardless, I hope they fixed the problems with the Day Stages in unleashed, and that the challenges (if any bonus ones) don't involve taking the old course and randomly placing spike traps everywhere.

I guess I can say I'm potentially looking forward to this

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

Despite the fact that the gameplay is like the daytime levels of Unleashed I still have my doubts about this game.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I think I might Pre Order the DS version and get that Sonic Head Gear Thinggy

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

I'd like to believe him, but the fact that development time seems to have been rushed like usual doesn't fill me with hope.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm just glad there isn't an HD versions of Sonic Colors, don't want all those good efforts be thrown away for pretty graphics a.k.a. Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleash.