Turns Out Shigeru Miyamoto Does Like Donkey Kong Country

Posted by Trevor Chan

Miyamoto clears things up once and for all

Following on from the E3 announcement of Donkey Kong Country Returns, it seems that something Shigeru Miyamoto had said in the past about the SNES original has re-surfaced. In a recent interview with IGN, Miyamoto cleared up the situation surrounding claims that he didn't like Donkey Kong Country, despite his involvement in the game's development.

The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumour got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

Tim Stamper was co-founder of Rare and it's nice to hear that Miyamoto was so attached to the game, as the frequency of his correspondence clearly shows.

He also goes on to say that the new instalment should carry on the tradition of having unique and recognisable rendering and special effects, much like the original. Stating that they were something that couldn't be found in Mario games, it's clear that Miyamoto still holds originality and style as core foundations for video games.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Miyamoto made Donkey Kong .

He will Love it, no matter what, or Who makes a DK game for him.

y2josh

y2josh said:

The more I see this man, the more I want to give him a great big hug.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

But does he like Metroid hmmmmm?!

Ofcourse he likes DKC! Donkey Kong was his first game, and seriously, who can't love that big ol' hairy fluff ball DK?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

IGN: To start us off, what happened to the Vitality Sensor?
Miyamoto: (makes a torpedo noise and laughs) Swwwwwwwwiiiiiihhhhh!!!

IGN: What are your impressions of the PlayStation Move and Microsoft's Kinect?
Miyamoto: (makes a torpedo noise and laughs) Swwwwwwwwiiiiiihhhhh!!!

IGN: No problem. Now that you've established the next handheld generation, where do you see the Wii in, say, two years?
Miyamoto: (makes a torpedo noise and laughs) Swwwwwwwwiiiiiihhhhh!!!

AVahne

AVahne said:

That rumor was very strange for me, i loved those DKC games, even if the graphics are kinda weird. the gameplay was really fun though, which i think was because Miyamoto was there. was HE the one who thought of using barrels as rocket transportation, mine carts with monkeys in them, and rhinos/ostriches/swordfish, etc. that can rode on by gorillas?

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

The Gameboy Color version is so horrible. Why did Nintendo even try to remake a 16-bit game on a 8-bit system?

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

Well at least we know (sort of) that he likes the series despite early statements about 15 years ago.

PaupackElite

PaupackElite said:

@Dragoon I believe Nintenzo is referring to the actual port of DKC onto the Game Boy Color. I have two copies and beaten both and I think the porting was a decent job but whatever.

XD375

XD375 said:

@xDemon720x

Shigeru was involved with DKC, but he did not design it. The barrel blasting, animal-riding gameplay of DKC was Rare's doing.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

I always thought that Donkey Kong games were boring and unmemoriable from SNES till N64. They had dull character design and poor game play, and a creator of such rich platformes cannot truly like something that poor out of nothing else than politeness. Jungle Beat was most fun and imaginative DK since 8-bit...no, since ever. I think that Miyamoto is just being a bit of populist here and "admits" that he likes it, for the sake of many fans of the rendered DK.

His supposed view about F-Zero GX is worrying me a great deal more though. I guess that the talk of his dislike about GX stems from its extreme difficulty, because its gameplay itself is somethig I'd like to be starting point for next part in the series. I would love to see a very GX-ish game on 3DS!

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Donkey Kong Country was awesome though the gameplay is a bit dated today. The graphics were amazing back in the day and they still actually look good today as long as you are playing on a smaller low res screen.

GX was pretty meh for me too. I wanted to like it but the difficulty made it frustrating at times and the courses were all about memorization some of them were extremely hard. The graphics were excellent the music was barely passable. There were way too many unique (not actually unique) cars and the car editor was just silly.

Shane_Gill

Shane_Gill said:

@OverlordMao: I think you'll find that Sonic 1 and 2 on the Master System were very well received by fans and critics. Also, they aren't ports. They're original games.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Well, that's good to know. :) I really enjoy the Donkey Kong Country trilogy; though I admit I haven't played Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest [best game of the trilogy, imo] until I downloaded it on the VC on February of '08. :(
But, it makes me wonder: what started the rumor?