Dennis Hopper Passes Away

Posted by James Newton

King Koopa loses battle to cancer

It may not be fondly remembered by many gamers, but the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie certainly had some big name acting talent. Sadly, Dennis Hopper, who played the role of King Koopa, passed away yesterday from complications of metastasised prostate cancer.

In honour of the late actor, here's one of our favourite moments from the Super Mario Bros. movie. Rest in peace, King Koopa.

[via news.bbc.co.uk]

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

Am I the only one cruel enough to find it funny that he lost to those pesky plumbers in the only cancer-relative way possible?

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I think I'm the only person alive who didn't think the SMB movie was bad. It just wasn't good. I mean, I liked it as a kid. I own it now, and it's not horrible. Anyway, sucks for Mr. Hopper. See you on the other side.

3DS

3DS said:

i didnt now him but i hope tthat i can get to see the movie

pinta_vodki

pinta_vodki said:

I liked the movie as a kid as well. =) Haven't watched it for ages though, don't know how it'd find it today..

madgear

madgear said:

DSi - if you want to see him in a film do not watch the Super Mario Bros Movie. Watch Blue Velvet, True Romance, Apocalypse Now and he played an excellent bad guy in Speed.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

RIP Hopper :(

Oh, and SMB The Movie would of been a very interest "What if" movie if it wasn't based on the Super Mario Bros at all, just the whole "dinosaurs didn't extinct, but evolve" story route.

Cipher

Cipher said:

@Mik - You might have made the forum topic about his passing, but let's face it, this is world news, so has been mentioned on essentially every news channel the world over.

R.I.P. Dennis Hopper. I did kind of enjoy the SMB movie... dunno why, but I did. But other than that, he was a great actor and will be sorely missed.

Mik

Mik said:

@Cipher

Indeed, but I literally reported it 3 minutes after the news story broke =)

I'm keen like that. Haha

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Dude.:( Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me.
Hopper you will be missed :(

deshadow52

deshadow52 said:

He may have been in the Super Mario Bros movie but he Also did voice acting for Deadly Creatures for the Wii along with Billy Bob Thornton.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

And he did voice acting for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

PS: His greatest performance was definitely playing Frank Booth in David Lynch's masterpiece Blue Velvet.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Never saw the Mario movie. The only thing I saw Hopper in was the first season of 24. He played a GREAT villian in that season.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I don't care for the Mario game, but it was a great actor in a lot of movies and series. Maybe interesting for this site that he also worked on some games. Deadly Creatures (Wii), Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller and of course Black Dahlia.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

RIP Dennis! My favorite role he played was as Victor Drazen in the first season of 24.

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

It's so bizarre how many famous types have passed away recently. Sure, the movie was awful, but the man was a legend. RIP Dennis.

Caliko

Caliko said:

He had a GREAT voice in Deadly Creatures.

NintendoLife just had news on the Goombas from this old movie. Strange.

opeter

opeter said:

Yes, he was very good in Waterwoorld too.
I really liked the Super Mario Bros. movie.