R.O.B. Display Unit Sells for $4K on eBay

Posted by Damien McFerran

Someone obviously has very deep pockets

Some rich retro collector has just gotten their hands on a one-of-a-kind auction thanks to eBay.

The auction was for a display case containing a Nintendo Entertainment System and a Robotic Operating Buddy (better known as R.O.B.).

The final figure? $4,150. Sweet.

"These are extremely difficult to find, and this unit comes 100% complete in the original box," said the seller. "Additionally, I don't believe this unit was ever used as it is in excellent shape, as can be seen in the pictures."

[via cgi.ebay.com, kotaku.com]

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

How on Earth did all those objects stay fixed in the retail display unit? Are those games plastered down or something?

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I also own the Gyromite/Robot Gyro cartridge. Apparently, it can actually be played without the R.O.B. It's easy to play with two controllers, one controller just to play the sleepwalking Hector game. :D

Machu

Machu said:

$4000? That actually seems quite cheap (for a collectible). This has been added to the list of things I must own before I die. It's awesome!

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

We have a R.O.B. in mint condition with the box and everything where I work for $500. It's really cool!

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Ahh, R.O.B. My NES was one of the original sets with ROB, but sadly, my ROB was given away by my dad at some sort of educational convention (he had used it as a general visual aid when discussing robotics). I didn't mind at the time, but i wish i still had it now.

@StarBoy:
I used to play Gyromite without ROB all the time. One of my main methods was to put the controller into the shell piece with the red and blue levers, and use my feet to control it. Kinda nifty.

Kirk

Kirk said:

For some reason I actually think that buyer got a pretty good deal with this one.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I have Gyromite & R.O.B. but I'm missing the little spinner accessories so it's even more useless than if I had them. I found mine for a couple bucks at a thrift store. I also have 2 Power Gloves & a Power Pad. Oh and the U-Force. Wow the NES had more useless peripherals than any other.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Sweet! I remember using R.O.B. with Gyromite back in the day. Find those spinners, JebbyDeringer!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I have a copy of Gyromite but no R.O.B., I don't even remember how I got Gyromite, lol. I definitely need to track down a R.O.B. though

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The Robotic Operating Buddy is one of my favorite characters from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. :)

JimLad

JimLad said:

Wow a grey Zapper in there too, those are also rare.
I have Gyromite with no R.O.B, I would be very tempted to break the glass/plastic just to see what the fuss was about.
Followed, I'd imagine by grave disappointment

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Did you say: Zapper?
I have the Zapper, too. :) I use it to play Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman, and Gumshoe. :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I've got the grey zapper. I've also got Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Bandai's Shooting Range. I've also got a Gyromite cart. I bought it on a whim thinking there was a chance it might have contained one of those rare Famicom converters inside the cart. Nope, just the usual sircuit board plus ROM. But I did finally find one when I bought Wrecking Crew.