Toys R Us Get In On Wii Price Drop Shenanigans

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Print ad indicates forthcoming price drop for North America

First Wal-Mart, now Toys R Us. We're still officially sticking with rumor for now, but maybe something is in the cards after all?

A scan of a circular ad for the big ol' toy store due to hit the week of Sept. 27 indicates that the console/Wii Sports bundle will be dropped to $199, putting it at the same price as the Xbox 360 Arcade SKU and $100 cheaper than the PS3 Slim's new price tag, and $50 cheaper than the forthcoming PSPGo.

If this happens to be true, that leaves about two weeks for Nintendo to announce an official price drop, conveniently around the time of the Kyoto Cross Media Experience 2009. The Tokyo Game Show is around that time as well, but Nintendo isn't partaking there.

The Cross Media Experience is also where a new Zelda Wii trailer is rumored to debut.

Tis but two weeks away.

[via kotaku.com]

Knux

Knux said:

So Nintendo has finally understand that the Wii's price needs to be cut. It's about time.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Given the industry's track record on sale ad leaks, I'd say the Wii probably IS going to get that price drop this month. Good news, say I. :)

ReZon

ReZon said:

DSi in Canada looks to have gotten a price drop too. Could the US be far behind?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Turbo Genesis 64: Which has been my point exactly since the PS3 price drop. The Wii dropping to $200 should really help people justify the purchase, I'm sure of it! :)

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

I don't have a Toys R Us where I live anymore since they closed down :(

But this price drop will convince many friends who've not gotten a Wii yet, to get one.
Does anyone know if the black Wii is coming to US, I can't remember.

vherub

vherub said:

I wish they bundled free points with the console, so wiiware, vc and online would get more of a boost from the entire wii owning community instead of the minority currently.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

The Wii for $199? You can't believe everything you read on the internets, that's how World War I got started.:D

Machu

Machu said:

The plot thickens huh. Hhhmmm!

And will you stop teasing me about Zelda guys, I'm getting fidgety now. 0_o

said:

so far only rumors nothing official...but the DSi blue in Canada got a price cut!

I dunno if is temporary...but is the first time the DSi had such drop in price...so there's a chance that the Wii will follow.

My 2 cents: if that happens, if Nintendo does follow a price cut...I'll be very very dissapointed.

for the first time in 2 generations a game company decided to pursue something bigger, reaching more gamers and trying to create bridges between them while the hardkorz, including spoiled developers and pathetic journalists were being mocked..

..making a price cut will send all what they have achieved to the garbage bin, lowering down to the rest of the companies...jumping in the Red Ocean...

.. doesn't make sense...even with the drop in sales, the Wii has been outselling the competition! why the drop?!

sighs dammit Nintendo, what the hell are you doing?! why you listen to those absurd analysts?!

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

I understand you think that Nintendo has a pride and if they dropped the price they would loose it! This is Nintendo were talking about right! But what pride are you referring to? It would just be more money in their pocket! Plus they would attract even more people to video games!

said:

@supermarioman - is not that! They were fighting against disinterest in gaming not MS or Sony. When was the last time you see a videogame company do that?!

My point is: they were doing fine with the price! Yes the sales dropped but that's because there weren't interesting games. Is understandable that the others companies cutted their prices but Nintendo?!

This price cut is nothing but a response to the other zombies. They are getting apart from their main mission. Money? they are already making money. The price cust JUST-DOESN'T- MAKE-SENSE. Not even business-wise.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Official words on price drop please.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii didn't get a price drop, Nintendo must announce one this year, or I will be getting a Playstation 3.

ArtMcCarthyDotCom

ArtMcCarthyDotCom said:

Why would nintendo drop the price if it is selling so good. I would think that they would wait untill after xmas.

OK_Computer

OK_Computer said:

Is it only for the Christmas season? Because for $200 I'd happily fork over my dollar for a Wii. Why am I even here. I have no seventh gen systems and my only Nintendo thing is my Gameboy.. Color. How epic.

Chatham

Chatham said:

@SSBF1999
Get a PS3, even with the Wii's price drop... The tech you get for $200 bucks is laughable to what you get for $300 in a PS3 Slim.

Games also tend to be alot richer in content (not just graphics). Meaning more gameplay for you money and less cash spent overall.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Chatham: That's a rather broad generalization, don't you think? Compare...say, Smash Bros. Brawl for wealth of gameplay to...I dunno...Street Fighter IV. Personally, I'd pick Brawl any day, any time, ever. Yes, you can get great value in PS3 games, but some have bad value. And yes, there are a LOT of low-value Wii games out there, but surely with the awesome tool that is Nintendo Life at his disposal, he can avoid getting the wrong titles?

You'll recall I have a PS3 which I enjoy immensely...my beef is strictly with the generalization of your statement.

Though to be honest, I have no idea why the Wii's price drop should affect his decision to get a PS3, because he already HAS a Wii! :P

SuperMarioFan1995

SuperMarioFan1995 said:

Wii is a great system! People who hasn't got it yet should get it! It's well worth your money! ;) I still have mine and it still runs just like new!

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

About damn time, frankly. Lower price = bigger sales = more people playing Nintendo games = more profit for Nintendo. Apple knows that, hence why they dropped their price of the 8Gb iPod Touch last week. Buffalobob doesn't know what he's talking about, frankly.

said:

@city of delusion - You are not the one that doesn't know what is talking about . nintendo was doing just damn fine. They were following the Blue ocean strategy. IF this rumor became true they will throw that strategy and became just like the others.
But I bet you don't know a jack about BOS. Only typical, old and tired "game wars" stuff.
Is because of people like you that Nintendo is betraying themselves.

Strofan7

Strofan7 said:

Buffalobob i respectively agree and disagree with you. You are correct in saying that the wii was fighting gaming apathy, which they succeeded in to this point tremendously.

However I disagree in the purpose of the price drop. The purpose is not to counteract the other system's price drop, because that is not the competition. The reason is that sales slowed a little, and with the cheaper price they can hopefully again open up to a whole new world of gamers. It isn't that someone will see the $200 wii and think that oh my god I have to get this instead of the PS3 because its cheaper. It is more along the lines of someone who doesn't have a system but was interested to finally see a $200 price tag and think "hey I can make this work." The point is just what you said, to keep bringing new gamers to the wii, not steal the ps360 ones.

Bring_Back_Pluto

Bring_Back_Pluto said:

gangsta mode activate
SHOOOOT, peep dis, if i didn't cop a Wizzle (wii) when it first hit da street i would pimp walk in dat place and pay $200 and walk out no matter da price ya feel me cuz?
grabs crotch
deactivate

Like he said, I think 200 is the perfect price for a wii now.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Okay Nintendo, why not pull a Sony, keep the classic White Wii for $199.99, and suddenly release a new Black edition Wii for $249.99, but with 4Gb internal flash, built in Ethernet, DVD playback, and a few other enhancements, to justify the cost hike. Then you can remove the Game Cube ports from the Black Models (which you figure nobody uses anyway) and call it innovation! B-)