It’s Tyson vs. Aliens in Aborted NES Punch Out!! Sequel

Posted by Damien McFerran

Rare ROM surfaces after 17 years lost in space

The Wii version of Punch Out!! is going to be with us shortly so what better time for a kindly NES collector to release the ROM for the awesomely bad Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch (the aborted sequel to the original NES Punch Out!! which was eventually released - sans Tyson - as Power Punch II) – onto the internet.

And before you ask, there was no Power Punch 1.

The story goes a little something like this; Nintendo made a pretty penny off the back of Punch Out!! (in which a certain Mr. Tyson had a starring role) so a sequel was quickly pushed into development. Figuring that something special was required to top the original, Nintendo employed Beam Software to produce a futuristic boxing title which ditched the legendary Little Mac and placed Iron Mike in the vastness of space instead. The general idea was that no one on Earth was capable of beating Tyson, so why not let aliens have a pop at him? Genius, no?

Sadly, as the game was being developed Mike went and got himself arrested, which obviously made him a less than ideal figurehead for a NES game. Despite these real-world events, the production of Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch wasn’t going well anyway and the plug was pulled soon after. American Softworks would eventually pick up the battered code and release the game as Power Punch II in 1992. It sank almost without trace.

The original prototype of Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch has been sitting in the vault of Jason "DreamTR" Wilson for almost two decades now but he recently let it be known that he would dump the ROM online for the right price. Needless to say, the funds were raised and the game is now free to download. If you don’t like emulation then you can purchase a proper working NES cart with the game on it from here.

The game itself stinks to high heaven; just check out this video for proof:

Still, it’s a slice of NES history all the same.

[via gamesetwatch.com]

Terra

Terra said:

I remember seeing something about this before (ONM or Hardcore Gaming i think). I'm glad Nintendo didn't go through with the game, this sounds awful.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I remember learning about this a few months back. Sounds like a really bad dream come true.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, I remember seeing the box art for this game but other than that I forgot this even existed. This is so terrible that its awesome! Does anyone else find the slug ring girl sexy?LOL!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I have bought one game from RetroZone, "Pirate Booty" a collection of three naughty Panesian games :*

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend getting an NES adapter for Wii to play
Virtual console games with ;)

James

James said:

The training ship reminds me of the step boxing game from Wii Fit. I wonder if your trainer is supposed to be Space Mike Tyson?

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

This just looks amazingly terrible, weren't the NES days frickin awesome?? :D

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

O_o Just awesome! It´s a concept straight from the pages of MAD magazine, I love it! Retro Zone are cool, but I think I´ll settle with just the rom :)

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

That opening "cinematic" was just epic. I honestly can not believe how bad this game is. Seriously. Just terrible.

adams189

adams189 said:

I actually once owned this game. My girlfriend in the 90s gave me an old game she said someone in her family had given her. It had no label, and there was a square opening in the top of the case where you could see a chip on the green board inside the case. It was not a finished game though. It had a lot of bugs like sprites glitching out and just being random colors. I kick myself all the time because I even knew then I had something at the time that was rare. I have no idea what happened to that game. This is the first time I've ever tried to look it up and see if anyone else had a copy of it. I'm sure it is still floating around out there somewhere, as I'm sure one of my roomies ended up with it. If anyone ever has any questions about it, I'm not sure if I could be helpful, but my email is adamsdouglaslee42@yahoo.com if you ever want to ask any questions about it.