Capcom: Mega Man 9 is Best Selling WiiWare Title

Posted by Damien McFerran

As WiiWare games go, Mega Man 9 was pretty bloody special. It also sold a ton! But we would never have thought it would be the best selling WiiWare release thus far; a quick glance at the top 20 games shows it’s in the lower reaches of the chart right now, whereas other strong titles are still doing well.

Anyway, regardless of cold, hard facts, Capcom seems pretty pleased with the retail performance of the game and is even saying (in a roundabout way) that Mega Man 9 has shifted more digital downloads than any other WiiWare release.

Capcom’s VP of strategic planning Christian Svensson was the man doing the talking, and this is what he said:

“Capcom is trying to lead in digital distribution, and I would go as far as to say that in the console space we are already the leading software publisher. We’ve had the highest revenue-generating Xbox Live title, we’ve had the highest revenue-generating Wii title, we’re definitely in the top three or four on the PlayStation network. To that end, on the PC side, I’ve spent the past year building up a digital distribution channel that has about twenty different partners. We’re ready on the console side, and we were the first Japanese publisher to do anything on Steam. One of the problems, to be candid, is that retail is falling away. What are the reasons for that? Partly it’s that return rates are very high. Returns of a PC title are usually double that of a console title - why? Because it’s not a great consumer experience because there’s variation in minimum spec, and it requires a lot of consumer knowledge to figure out exactly what is in their box, and what that will run.”

It’s nice to see that the company is looking towards the future. Hopefully this will mean more Capcom games on WiiWare!

Source: GoNintendo

Neomega

Neomega said:

How about bringing pocket fighter to Wiiware?Or maybe a cutesy version of devil may cry? It's possible!
So long as it's not a minigame collection I'm behind them all the way!
Capcom is one of the few companies that refuse to disappoint!

siavm

siavm said:

It can't be the best selling. Looking at the last for the past year, it could not have been the best selling.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Can we please have a brand new Ghouls & Ghosts game for the WiiWare service please?!?!

Neomega

Neomega said:

Remember those times it was #1?
That's when it sold 1 million in 1 day!
Maybe it's somewhere along those lines! As far as I can tell MM9 was one of the most anticipated titles for Wiiware and other DL services across platforms.
I wonder how the DLC did? I still haven't bought this game though, waiting to buy Onslaught, Toki Tori, and Fatul Fury Special when it comes out for Neo-Geo VC

@ Corbie
Ghost n Ghouls really? I understand how great the game was...wait I don't I'm trying not to be mean, why not give us something like........Resident Evil: Zombie Bros/kids?
Wait....nah, it'll work!

Neomega

Neomega said:

@ anthonyb

How about megaman legends? The N64 version was under 40 megs why not put it on VC?

....wait weren't all mm games under 40 megs? (excluding those 2005 and up!)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

The Ghouls & Ghosts games are one of my all-time favorites. I even recently bought the arcade boards of Ghosts & Goblins and Ghouls & Ghosts to play on my cabinet I love them so much. I'd love to see a new game on the WiiWare service. :)

Kknight

Kknight said:

"Best selling" can have several different definitions. Keep in mind there is a fair amount of DLC available for MM9, so if they are totalling those downloads as seperate "units" that could boost the numbers significantly. It would make a difference if they are using dollar amounts or wii point amounts as the measurement as well. "Best selling" doesn't necessarily have to mean that MM9 sold more copies than any other Wiiware game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I dunno, I think MyAquarium kind of wins the award for top selling Wiiware game, but yeah, MM9's sales are pretty impressive.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

You deserve it Capcom! You made a terrific game! MM9 is my favorite Wii Ware title

tatemon555

tatemon555 said:

I want a remake of Street Fighter II. There's a new HD version on 360 and PS3, so why don't us Wii owners get the same fortune?

Adam

Adam said:

I just want MM10. :)
MMX9 (or whatever number they're on) would not be so bad, either, though I would hope they'd return to a style similar to X or X2.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Any week where it was #1, it isn't hard to imagine that it sold a few 100,000 in each of those weeks, maybe more. So I believe it.

I want Mega Man 64/Legends on VC now!

Neomega

Neomega said:

@Popyman: You're preachin to da choir on that one! I'd settle for a collection of megaman 1-8 in one collections that would be.....36 megs at most?

I'm surpised noone mentioned darkstalkers.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

You can say Bloody on this site.
We need a list of acceptable profanity like carp halibut & bloody .
With all this profanity around bloody hell its going to be bloody awsome .

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@Corbie: You dont know the meaning of recession, do you

Is there a recession going on? I didn't get the memo. :P

Link79

Link79 said:

That's awesome! well deserved too. I still think this is the best Wii ware game so far. World of goo is my number 2 favorite. I hope Capcom is thinking of making either Mega man 10 or X9. That's one series I will never get tired of. As long as the robots are cool and the music is groovy I say keep em coming.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

If they're making that much money out of Megaman 9, use it to buy back the DuckTales license and release it on VC!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg
Racecars lasers aeroplanes, it's a Duckblur
Might solve a mystery
Or rewrite history!
Ducktales, WoOOoo!

What the hell is a duckblur?

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

Just glad Megaman9 is a best seller in Capcom's eyes... and shame it fell off the top 20 download chart only for a week we believe and it to come right back on this week, (with Onslaught claiming #2 spot)!!! :)

hamispink

hamispink said:

it could very well be the best selling due to fanboys buying it on the wii first when it first came out but everyone who wanted to buy it got it as soon as they could which is why it is falling off the charts

that_dan_guy

that_dan_guy said:

The press release does not actually say that it was the best selling title, but rather "the highest revenue-generating" title. So, I think it is fairly safe to assume that this would also incorporate the DLC, and therefore may mean that MM9 didn't necessarily outsell all titles in terms of sheer numbers. Either way it is terrific that the title has done so well and that a major developer is convinced that Wiiware is a worthwhile avenue.

Secondly, I would also like to put in my request for a wiiware Ghouls & Ghosts and/or Ghosts & Goblins. Both titles claimed a lot of my 20 cent pieces at the arcades as a school boy.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Highest REVENUE generating title. That means it could have sold 60% as many copies as My Aquarium and still come out on top. It's a massive strike against WoG with its 1500 point price though (provided the full price on the service is what counts as the revenue, not some fraction of it, maybe they just negotiated better rates with Nintendo). Also I have to wonder what data Capcom were given...

Yeah, I'll have to call [citation needed] on VGchartz there. How did they get that data?

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Not surprising. I mean sure, it's low on the charts now but something tells me that the MegaMan 9 sales number in the first week of release might very well be higher than what Defend Your Castle has sold in its entire lifetime. The hype, if you remember, was seriously out of control.

Bland_Boy

Bland_Boy said:

It cost too much in points dag-nab-it!
If it was 500 like Mega Man 1 or 2, I'dprobably get it.

My advice is if you haven't bought Mega Man 1/2 , get them
before even considering getting Mega Man 9.

Objection

Objection said:

If they make M10, I want it to have at least SNES graphics. I'm just not that retro a guy.

Adam

Adam said:

Bland Boy, have you played it? It's only 1000 points, and to me it's better than both of those combined. It brings together the best elements of the series, and the shop makes the difficulty level very flexible. Personally, I'd have paid 1100 points for the Endless mode alone. :)

Objection_Blaster, while I like the NES graphics a lot, the SNES graphics were good, too, but if they went the SNES route, I'd rather they make a new MMX. MM7 was not that great, and if I remember correctly, 8 was worse. I think MMX9 would turn out much better. I loved collecting the suit power-ups in X and X2.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Well deserved. Its an amazing game. Hopefully this means we'll see a Mega Man 10.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

MM9 is inferior to the older MMs, it has spikes up the wazzoo instead of , you know, good enemies. The difficulty is extremely unbalanced with most parts of a level having few hazards beyond getting impaled by spikes, killed by lava, etc (all instadeath things, nothing to deplete your HP) and then the massively difficult midbosses.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Come on, it's excellent. I mean sure, when first getting it it felt ruthless but after finishing it a few times you can quite easily play through it in less than an hour. I'd definitely say it's one of the better games in the series.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Capcom games on Steam? Was he saying that they are only doing that in Japan, or implying that their games are coming to the service in the future?

Jack_Package

Jack_Package said:

@NikeXTC
I have no idea... you're prolly right though... maybe I shouldn't trust their data completely.
Although I do believe the figures that say Dr Mario and Final Fantasy have sold more... even if they aren't exact

Golgo

Golgo said:

It'd be kind of interesting to know what wii sales meant in terms of revenue.

-TR

-TR said:

I honestly don't belive him, which is a shame as I love Capcom.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@XCWarrior. I think Hudson's pretty close to dominating Wiiware already. :P

Great news! I had no idea this game was doing so well. I'd love to see what else Capcom can come up with for Wiiware (if they do, in fact, plan to make more WW games...)! I say their next project should be a 16-bit MMX9!

Rockbandmonkey

Rockbandmonkey said:

I want nothing more than a Mega Man 10 right now. I don't care if it's 8-bit or 16-bit just make the game!

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@KDR: True, most deaths are instant, but I dont mind. The bosses are super easy with thier weakness.First playthrough is though, but later ones arent.