EU WiiWare Update: Cubello, Cue Sports, Cooking Jam and Strong Bad 3

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo clearly has the hots for the European continent today because it has unleashed not one, not two, not three but FOUR new WiiWare titles for download!

That’s right; if you’re a Euro Wii owner then you have Art Style: Cubello, Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards, Strong Bad Episode 3 and Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam to choose from. You lucky things!

We’ve already covered Cubello, Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam and Strong Bad 3 when they came out on the North American Wii Shop, and to be honest they represent a pretty solid trio of releases.

Cue Sports is something of an unknown entity, as it’s making its WiiWare debut today for 800 points. However, being a Hudson game we have high hopes for this. Be sure to check back in a few days for a full review.

Related Games

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

YAY FOR ALL (exc. YYCJ)
Art Style and Strong Bad are instant downloads for me, but I might save Cue Sports for a rainy day (how much is it, anyway?).

Rexy

Rexy said:

So, Baddest of the Bands is FINALLY out on the Wiiware side. Too bad I already cleared the PC version as stated in the recent North American update post. I suspect that Dangeresque 3 will follow suit next fortnight and all.

Also, HELL YES for the first Art Style release out here. Being passionate about the puzzle genre, I'll be sure to give it a go :)

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

The art style game might take my intreast but with only 100 pointsd in my account i be unable to download it at the moment .

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am glad you guys are getting Art Style games. Can I recommend Orbient when it arrives

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Four...FOUR? Are NOE out of their mind?

Anyway...its not really 4 but 2 a week...

I'll get Cubello in the morning...

Ark

Ark said:

Well, I'm certainly happy for Europeans. I hope NOE continues this and gets 4 WiiWare games per second update. I think it's only fair. And at that rate, the catalogs might be similar, which is good.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@zss_shadow-I think they wsnt one week without any wiiware, so maybe this is to make up for it.
I'd love to get 4 though as long as it's not just because we missed one week.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

I rather have 2 every week rather that 4 every other... But atleast its a step in the right direction...

Ark

Ark said:

@longtimegamer
Well yeah, they always miss every second week. It goes VC one week then WiiWare the next. Since they only get 3 WiiWare games per second week and US gets two per week, US=8 games per month and EU=6 games per month
If the pattern changes to FOUR games every second week, then Europeans won't be getting chipped off two games a month.

Killraven

Killraven said:

Great update!
just cubello for me at the moment though, although i may pick up pool if its good.
still have found a pool game that beats Poolhall3 for the pc.

Objection

Objection said:

Wow 4 wiiware in one update (though you guys deserve at least that many)! Anyway, decent update.

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Yay for Cue Sports now I will get a reveiw b4 it comes out. Hopefully it comes out next week. Congrats Europe on Cubello it is the BEST Art Style game. :D

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Wow, great update for europe. Now if they can just get MaBoShi out in the U.S........

Killraven

Killraven said:

you know what i can't really believe, (NO! i'm going to tell you anyway)
that there hasn't been a single case of a pricedrop or special weekend deal or anything of the such. these promotions and price drops have helped alot of titles on Xbox live shift alot of units.

I mean honestly, as if platchen couldn't use a price drop in europe, (some would say the US as well)

gameking23

gameking23 said:

When is there going to be a reveiw on cue sports? Does anyone know how much it costs in Europe?

Virus

Virus said:

Awesome update for you guys. You didn't necessarily get any incredibly stand-out games, but you got four releases, finally a sufficient number.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Good fortnight.
NoE FINALLY gets it (they nearly got it last update), after so many months. This way NoA WW won't fly away so easily, but we won't catch up with it either.

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards sounds like a good game... if we get that and comes here in NA ill definitely get it. :D

calcifer

calcifer said:

Aaah Cubello .... Perfect for 10 minute sessions in between diaper changing and soothing the crying baby. (became father last tuesday, no more time for lengthy adventures) Thank you nintendo and 'bout time too!

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I wonder if this means the4y've gone to 4 per fortnight or just count the Art Style games as separate slots (kinda like the last Hanabi Festival where they released VC games during a WW week too) since the press release said "consecutive weeks" which suggests they won't follow the fortnightly schedule.

I sure hope they just changed to 4 WW slots per fortnight.

calculon

calculon said:

I've just downloaded Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards. Hope it's good, but for a fiver I won't mind too much. I'll post back with some impressions later if I can.

@KDR_11k - With the quality of Wiiware releases recently I agree entirely on your 4 per week wish.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

KDR_11k, you really think the Art Style games are going to be weekly updates? I think it will take a month and a half (or more) to get them all.
P.S. Think bad with NoE and you will get it right.

EDIT: The person who updated the Strong Bad release for PAL did it for the fourth and not the third. Yup, the European Strong Bad 3 is late, but we don't skip it :P

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Amazingly enough Cubello took up 47 blocks here in the UK as well (usually the games take up a few more blocks, probably due to European languages). I maganed to play for about 90 minutes then all the Wii Remote batteries got exhausted so off to recharge...

you know what i can't really believe, (NO! i'm going to tell you anyway)

Firstly, Nintendo are greedy sods (look at the VC prices, then look at XBLA...and remember Microsoft take a bigger cut of that!) who have an attitude of "it'll sell at full price its Disne...I mean Nintendo" and secondly Nintendo fans are the biggest whinge bags on the internet. Someone would get upset over a price drop because they paid full price...

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

So, by using that pic and caption, is WWW implying German people can't count? I'm really not looking to start an argument, I just thought it was odd.

"A happy German fellow celebrates today's quartet of WiiWare games" - and the chap holds up five fingers...

Regardless, I'm happy for the EU WiiWare gamers!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@calcifer: Congratulations! What did you name it?

RE: Cue Sports
The price sucks since Japan get it for just 500 points - I just can't spend 800 points at the moment (since I'll be left with a further 800 which I can't spend on anything at the moment. Saving my points for World of Goo. Next update - hopefully.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

Oh NOW I get it!

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

The XBLA "default" price for a game the developer considers potentially successful seems to be 15€ while the WiiWare default price is 10€.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I count four fingers and one thumb... which means a thumbs up to these four games.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Great WiiWare update for Europe. I'm also waiting for a review on Cue Sports. I would love to play this game online if the gameplay holds up.

EJD

EJD said:

That's excellent news for us in Europe. I hope this trend will continue with future releases. Cue Sports and Cubello look pretty decent so I may check those out. I don't care for the Strong Bad games and YYCJ doesn't sound or look too promising.

Bring on the rest of the Art Style games! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I am surprised there are still WiiWare titles released in America several months ago that we Europeans are yet to recieve. Whats with the delay? Okay, I won't necessarily buy those games but I do like seeing America and Europe being closer in terms of games released. Four games is always a great week to me for this reason whatever the quality.

Terra

Terra said:

Good week. Finally, we get an Art Style game although i was expecting Orbient to be the first one, since America got that first. I'm not buying the Strong Bad Games as i'm considering buying the PC disc with all of them on that i've heard about when released. I'm also considering buying Sam & Max. As for Yummy Yummy, not interested in it and for Cue Sports, i'll be buying that.

calculon

calculon said:

Cue Sports, is an ok, fairly solid implementation of the game. It's also completely uninspired and dull as ditch water. As usual I'd suggest looking for a local pool/snooker hall if you want to experience the sports.

The controls are also just ok, with awfully slow and steppy controls for rotating and aiming around the table. If there was ever one game that needed the table movement controls mapped to the nunchuck analog stick this is it. Luckily, you can set the power of your shots using an optional power meter (shot strength is set via the d-pad) rather than just rely on the god-awful forward/backward motion sensitivity of the wiimote.

The graphics just about do the job and music and sound effects are equally unremarkable (which I imagine won't matter too much) As a social game, I doubt many people will take up the Wifi aspect because the controls are just too fiddly and slow -it's definitely a game to get your mates around for.

One final gripe - you can't zoom the camera out to fine tune your shots. Whilst pressing the 1 button presents a fully zoomed out (you can see the whole table) top-down view, the rotational controls tend to make adjusting the angle for long distance shots very difficult meaning timed shots are going to get very frustrating for some.

On the plus side there's plenty of game types and challenges and the differing areas and table styles add some much needed variety. Oh, you can also save replays of your winning shot, although I think most of the time it'll be used to record wonderful flukes - you can't send replays to other people though by the looks of things.

My Overall Rating: 6/10 (broken down below - not an average)
Graphics: 6/10
Presentation: 6/10
Audio: 6/10
Controls: 6/10
Playability: 7/10

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Thought I'd mention that Cubello has already entered the Swedish charts. Yup, even before Strong Bad 3.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

/Aerith-nosebleed/
4? I thought that the limit was 3! Then again, I never read about the limit; I simply assumed through observation.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Wow. That's a nice week. This reminds me that I need to get Cubello one of these days.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Way to go, Europe! Not only do you get your first Art Style, but you also finally got your second Strong Bad episode, and Cue Sports before we did! I hope the Art Style release means we'll be expecting Maboshi soon. Wish we could've had it this week...

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

"Not only do you get your first Art Style, but you also finally got your second Strong Bad episode"

It's their third Strong Bad episode. ;)