US VC Releases - 28th April - Double Dragon

Posted by Darren Calvert

Hot on the tails of River City Ransom from last week the theme of violence continues with the legendary Double Dragon on the NES punching its way to the Virtual Console.

The NES version is a fun adaptation of the original arcade classic however there is no 2 player simultaneous option in the main game which is a crying shame (even the Master System adaption managed this). That being said there is a VS mode added in to allow you to take out your aggression on a friend. At the end of the day the single player game is still a hoot to play so we think Double Dragon still deserves its classic status on the NES, but don’t say we didn’t warn you.

And that’s it for this week, only one game! Next week in the series of NES beat ‘em ups we’ll be getting Renegade. Let’s hope there is another game to go with it as it is not in the same league as Double Dragon or River City Ransom sadly.

Note: This game will not be available in the North American Wii Shop Channel until 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mon 28th April.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I have more memories of this game from my childhood than any other nes game. An instant download!

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Double Dragon is cool, but I was hoping for three games like Europe :( Oh well, I'm hooked on Paper Mario and River City Ransom now, it's enough to hold me over.

mummydaddy

mummydaddy said:

I think Nintendo should think about a MAME emulator. just think of the thousands of actual arcade roms that we could download on the worlds no. 1 console.... Double dragon being one of them. If I remember rightly, no conversion felt like the arcade original Double dragon with its muffled sound. Most arcade roms aren't that large and would fit in perfectly with the other VC consoles.

Phalyn

Phalyn said:

Yaaaaay
Double Dragon. I have many memories of playing this game in the arcade in my Uncle's bowling alley. Was challenging to me back then. Never played the NES port, so we'll see how it fares.
REALLY want Double Dragon II though, one thing at a time, one thing at a time.

Viral

Viral said:

Single Dragon. lawl. True that. America is gettin' the shaft this time....at least we got Wii Fit! :D

Kevin

Kevin said:

I'm surprised we aren't getting anything with Double Dragon. Oh well, we finally get Mario Kart tomorrow and the NES version is good enough for me this week. How's Wii Fit? We don't get it until 5/20.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yeah, I think Europe isn't doing too badly these days. Okay, so we're still missing a few SNES and NES games but still, the C64 is still our exclusive console.

Lugia2

Lugia2 said:

...The heck? We have like 7 consoles supported now and they can only find one game- the inferior version of an arcade port that is STILL inferior to last week's Beat-em-up that at least had a #2?

Hey Europe! Nintendo is saying sorry for Smash!

Mike1

Mike1 said:

One game this week! That is terrible. Double Dragon is a decent game but...at least I'll have Mario Kart Wii tomorrow.

By the way, you can have the C64 and Wii Fit Europe; neither interests me.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Re: Mike

Yeah, this week was kind of disappointing. However, after the week of the #3 NES beat em up, it will be the best Wii-kly update Monday of all time with WiiWare launching & the possiblity of the Nintendo Channel! I love Nintendo again! :)

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

Double Dragon is a good game as long you don't consider it as an arcade port. The nes version is not a true arcade port to me. No 2 player simultaneous option and not starting with all your moves is a turn off to me. I don't think there is a great arcade port of this game. I played 4 arcade ports of Double Dragon and the best one is the Genesis version.

There is no reason for having a 1 vc game week in North America.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

i think Nintendo is releasing mediocre games at best to ensure nobody will download them,
which gives Nintendo time to come up with a storage solution.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Only one game? Oh well, it's not like I really need more games anyway. I never beat the ones I already have! XD

Adam

Adam said:

"oh my god.
i don't even care about the VC anymore.
bring on WiiWare."

Sadly, I agree entirely. At least WiiWare is there as a ray of hope. Perhaps Nintendo's plan is to drive VC-ers into despair so that we will eat up their new WiiWare games. ;)

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

They should just call it Single Dragon for the NES.... but yeah this is one of the lamer updates we've ever had. Why don't they start giving us some things that are only in Europe... like Vectorman and Mega Man.... Boo Nintendo, Boo!

Kenryoku_Maxis

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

WOO HOO! ONE GAME! YEAH!!!!

I can remember the days when we use to get One N64 game and a NES game, as if they were afraid to give us only an N64 game alone and needed to give us an NES game along with it.

Now they think a 'classic' like Double Dragon is big enough to be put on the VC alone.

Tim

Tim said:

America might never see the 2 player master system or genesis version. It seems as though that if there are more than one versions of a game then Nintendo only releases the Nintendo version regardless.

The_Indigo_Effect

The_Indigo_Effect said:

Simultaneous, 2-player action is what made Double Dragon great. Without this feature, I really don't see the point. I remember being so disappointed when I bought this for my NES, but I still played the crap out of it.

dark_moogle

dark_moogle said:

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

but how long did america have the virtual console before europe? I wish we had Mighty Final Fight coming too. I'd download that. I know many people say Double Dragon and River City Ransom are better games but I prefer Mighty Final Fight because of its characters and series. I'm a Capcom/Street Fighter fan. And its 10 not 20 more.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

"Ha, how does it feel to be treated like an Australian? Cruel isn't it? Now imagine this level of VC releases for over 4 weeks straight!!!"

Actually we don't know what it's like because we already have Super Smash Bros Brawl and you don't!!!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I mean both Wonder Boy and Adventure Island came out and they are the exact same game. Similarly there is Wonder Boy in Monster World and the Dynastic Hero again both same games. And also Dr.Robotniks Mean Bean Machine and Kirbys Avalanche. Exact same game.

Sure all of those listed have thier differences but isn't it the same as Doulbe Dragon in the end? One is single player and other isn't.

Funny how people don't like this Double Dragon being single player but didn't care about Final Fight being the same :S. Though Double Dragon does have a viable alternative (Final Fight CD isn't viable until we see Mega CD games).

stinssd

stinssd said:

I bought a used copy of Double Dragon last week for my imported Famicom clone. ;-)

As for the VC having mame titles, it'd be great to see:
1. The Simpsons Arcade Game.
2. Dungeons and Dragons :Tower of Doom

stinssd

stinssd said:

THREE TALKING POINTS:

• I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't released Battletoads or Battletoads + Double Dragon for the VC. Those were some hard games.
  • In 1993,I got so fed up with the difficulty level of those games, I sent myself through time to the future to 2009, grabbed a printout from gamefaqs, as well as got President Obama's autograph before heading back to get my head kicked in by Jimmy and Bimmy. True story.
  • Well, not.
Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Well, Double Dragon is an alright game but why only one game today, Nintendo? Today would've been the perfect time to release the long over due Vectorman.

v404

v404 said:

While DD on the NES is certainly not the best port, I don't think the possibility of seeing the SMS & Genesis versions are that unlikely. If anything, it's probably quite likely. Seeing how keen Nintendo is of releasing virtually identical titles on the VC under the pretense that they're something new. They just usually release the inferior versions first..

Regardless, I was rather surprised to see only 1 title this week even though DD is a pretty big name. I'd still have guessed we'd see at least 2. Releasing just 1 game, especially when it's nothing special/a non-major franchise title just gives the impression that the VC is already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And w/ the release of WiiWare titles just around the corner, the argument that there are only so many VC titles available to be released & that they need to be rationed out over the duration of the Wii's tenure doesn't hold water anymore. If anything, WiiWare should substantially alleviate that concern & allow Nintendo to boost VC releases. Or so one would think.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

stinssd, Rare owns Battletoads, so I'm almost positive it won't come.

will1

will1 said:

Lame, I am starting a blog and I encourage others to join me in saying just how let down wii all are in Nintendo as a company. I mean after so many years of playing the Big 3 ( mario, zelda, metroid) I have to say that I am rather disappointed. Don't get me wrong... I love nintendo but I am feeling that they as a company are going to leech us for our every last dime, all while keeping our hopes up for the next big game. I have spent $300(console) + $40x2(wiimote) + $20x2(nunchuk) + $20x2(classic control) + $60(crap VC games)... So that adds up to...over $500 on Basics!!! And I have a few games too... My point is, I'm not going to waste any more time or money on a system that cannot offer quality 3rd party games because they ticked them all off so much in the past that now they won't work together. Nintendo once said they were not trying to compete with Xbox 360 PS3... I think what they should of said is there was no way they could even think about competing with them. I have to wait until June 25th for survival horror that may suc and after that sept???? for a star wars that will pale to XB360 or PS3... WoW whats wrong with us guys??? Where are the options NINTENDO??? Its been two years already!!!!!!!

Fireballmario

Fireballmario said:

I think this will be a pretty good VC game, but come on Nintendo get some of the better titles over here and start handing out multiple games!!!!!

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

Is it just me or is this vc version of double dragon more difficult than what the original nes cart was?