Wii U eShop Forum

Topic: Shovel Knight

Showing 1 to 20 of 202

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

1. Posted:

It's almost time.

This is the retro platformer all retro platformers are gonna wanna strive for. I can think of new IPs that might be better, but none that I'm so certain will be great. Like, people played a bit of this what feels like ages ago and loved it, and there's just...nothing that points to it being below like an 8/10. Even at my most cynical.

I'm still calling it being to Megaman what Cave Story is to Metroidvania. Like I try to avoid overhyping games, but this is clearly the real deal.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dave24

2. Posted:

It can be good... but the music can be pretty bad. I'm patiently waiting for it hoping it will be one awesome game, though.

Dave24

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

3. Posted:

Yeah, as soon as I actually saw gameplay trailers, I knew this game was one of the rare retro games that feels "authentic" while still understanding what it was that made those games classics in the first place. This should be good. This should be real good. My only concern is whether or not there will be lives and how many check points there'll be. Admittedly it'd probably be more authentic to include lives, but there was no good reason for them to exist in the old days, and no real reason to include them nowadays, no matter how "retro" you're trying to be.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sinalefa

4. Posted:

I like when games have lives, but they should be infinite. If after losing all of your lives you get the Game Over screen, you will push start and try again, so what is the point besides wasting your time?

I started to follow this one just a few months ago, and I have to say I am very interested.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

5. Posted:

I've got the 3DS one.

I. Absolutely. Love it.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

6. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I actually saw gameplay trailers, I knew this game was one of the rare retro games that feels "authentic" while still understanding what it was that made those games classics in the first place. This should be good. This should be real good. My only concern is whether or not there will be lives and how many check points there'll be. Admittedly it'd probably be more authentic to include lives, but there was no good reason for them to exist in the old days, and no real reason to include them nowadays, no matter how "retro" you're trying to be.

There has always been a point of lives. Means you need to a decent chunk at once.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

7. Posted:

sinalefa wrote:

I like when games have lives, but they should be infinite. If after losing all of your lives you get the Game Over screen, you will push start and try again, so what is the point besides wasting your time?

I started to follow this one just a few months ago, and I have to say I am very interested.

Its not really wasting time apart from in games with collectables where you can keep redoing the early levels to get loads of extra lives.

When you cannot do that and have to do a decent chunk with a limited amount of lives it is much better. Getting through once by luck each time breaks the game.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

8. Posted:

I really like the checkpoint system they've introduced, where you can literally ruin your checkpoint for money.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Klimbatize

9. Posted:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

I've got the 3DS one.

I. Absolutely. Love it.

I am excite.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

10. Posted:

unrandomsam wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I actually saw gameplay trailers, I knew this game was one of the rare retro games that feels "authentic" while still understanding what it was that made those games classics in the first place. This should be good. This should be real good. My only concern is whether or not there will be lives and how many check points there'll be. Admittedly it'd probably be more authentic to include lives, but there was no good reason for them to exist in the old days, and no real reason to include them nowadays, no matter how "retro" you're trying to be.

There has always been a point of lives. Means you need to a decent chunk at once.

I said good point. That's not a good point.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

11. Posted:

Coming out for Wii U and 3DS, right? I can't decide which one to get (and I only want one copy).

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

12. Posted:

Discostew wrote:

Coming out for Wii U and 3DS, right? I can't decide which one to get (and I only want one copy).

9 times out of 10 I prefer to play games on a tv. The other 1/10 is apparently Advance Wars.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

13. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I really like the checkpoint system they've introduced, where you can literally ruin your checkpoint for money.

This adds a BRILLIANT element of risk / reward that serves both kinds of gamers extremely well. For such a minor feature it becomes a major consideration in each level's strategy.

I'm not sure I've disagreed with a single design decision yet, and I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of the game.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neko_Rukiafan

14. Posted:

I've got the Wii U version and it's one of the best 8-bit platformers that I've ever played. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this game is as good as NES greats such as SMB3 and Mega Man 2! ;)

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com est. on March 16th 2011

WiiWareWave League MK8 Weekly Tournament Code: 6551-9017-8098
Contests held regularly!

Twitter: WiiWareWave

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Swiket

15. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I really like the checkpoint system they've introduced, where you can literally ruin your checkpoint for money.

It's cool, but what exactly do you use money for in this game?

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

16. Posted:

Swiket wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I really like the checkpoint system they've introduced, where you can literally ruin your checkpoint for money.

It's cool, but what exactly do you use money for in this game?

A lot. Items, mini-games, upgrades, access to certain areas, relics...

It's decently balanced in that regard. There's nothing to stop you farming the same level over and over again for cash, but I haven't done that (except to see if I could) and as quickly as I accumulate money, I end up spending it. I've rarely got much cash on me.

Of course, you'll WANT to spend it when you get it, because if you die in a stage and fail to collect the dropped cash before you die again, it's gone for good.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

17. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I actually saw gameplay trailers, I knew this game was one of the rare retro games that feels "authentic" while still understanding what it was that made those games classics in the first place. This should be good. This should be real good. My only concern is whether or not there will be lives and how many check points there'll be. Admittedly it'd probably be more authentic to include lives, but there was no good reason for them to exist in the old days, and no real reason to include them nowadays, no matter how "retro" you're trying to be.

There has always been a point of lives. Means you need to a decent chunk at once.

I said good point. That's not a good point.

Otherwise the only thing that allows progressing a bit further is being lucky once. There is no point at all in that. Not actually improving but it just being more and more of a grind to get a bit further.

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

18. Posted:

^Because being forced to repeat something over and over again is not by definition a "grind". /sarcasm

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

theberrage

19. Posted:

This is my most anticipated game of the year. As of now I am going to download it for Wii u.

theberrage

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neko_Rukiafan

20. Posted:

The relic system is pretty darn cool. I also like the sheer amount of content this game possesses compared to mainstream Mega Man titles. ;)

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com est. on March 16th 2011

WiiWareWave League MK8 Weekly Tournament Code: 6551-9017-8098
Contests held regularly!

Twitter: WiiWareWave