Forums

Topic: The Last Story

Posts 381 to 400 of 424

Spoony_Tech

My copy wasn't available till yesterday from gamestop. I think they had a shipping problem. My gamestop called me and told me it would be in then. Still no excuses though. I like my GameStop though

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

And also I don't care if they weren't huge fans of it, but I wouldn't be surprise if they complained about something monumentally pointless.

Evidently he had lots of control problems since he tried to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck instead of the classic controller. I have no idea why he was using the Wiimote, but he was.

Anybody else get this game from Amazon yet? I got it today...or at least, I think I got it. The box looks kinda like a book. I have a thing about opening a game before I actually intend to play it, but now I'm extremely curious: is it actually a book and my game will come later, or is the box playing tricks on me?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nintendo6400

Hey does anyone else here get kicked off the online by the error code fa lot? I can't stay online for a complete match.

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

Reala

At the final battle now might level grind a bit though that seems not quite as important here as in most RPG's; tactics and timing are much more important in this game hopefully be watching the ending later today or tomorrow then onto pandora's tower.

Reala

moomoo

zezhyrule wrote:

Invisibility dye is the best stuff ever. My purchase is now justified.

Did you get both so you can make everything minus undies invisible. I know I did.
And I don't know about you, but my purchase was justified long before I found invisibility dye.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Gamesake

Mickeymac wrote:

Anybody else get this game from Amazon yet? I got it today...or at least, I think I got it. The box looks kinda like a book. I have a thing about opening a game before I actually intend to play it, but now I'm extremely curious: is it actually a book and my game will come later, or is the box playing tricks on me?

Don't get too excited. It's just a box that looks like a book. The game is underneath the cover.

...in my pants.

zezhyrule

Gamesake wrote:

Don't get too excited. It's just a box that looks like a book. The game is underneath the cover.

A flimsy cheap cardboard box at that. But I was told I can't complain because it was free.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

I-U

Does anyone know if the multiplayer in this game features bots if the player doesn't wish to face another human player?

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

arrmixer

The presentation of the game is great and I got my CD with my preorder from gamestop....

This game is a welcome change from xenoblade... love the battle system and the pace seems lighting fast compared to xenoblade..

Feel free to add

ARR

3DS Friend Code: 3539-9596-6040 | Nintendo Network ID: armixer | Twitter:

Gamesake

arrmixer wrote:

the pace seems lighting fast compared to xenoblade..

The Last Story can be pretty addictive for that reason. Four hours into Xenoblade, I wasn't even out of the first town. Four hours into the Last Story, I'm on chapter 11. In Xenoblade you have to play for very long periods of time in order to see something big.

...in my pants.

arrmixer

Gamesake wrote:

arrmixer wrote:

the pace seems lighting fast compared to xenoblade..

[/div]

The Last Story can be pretty addictive for that reason. Four hours into Xenoblade, I wasn't even out of the first town. Four hours into the Last Story, I'm on chapter 11. In Xenoblade you have to play for very long periods of time in order to see something big.

exactly!!! I'm actually revisiting enemy locations to experience the battle system again and to get rare items.

Edited on by arrmixer

Feel free to add

ARR

3DS Friend Code: 3539-9596-6040 | Nintendo Network ID: armixer | Twitter:

TheDreamingHawk

Added to my christmas list for the year, but now I'm begging Grandma to buy it now so I can get that epic artbook. But Game informer rated this a 6 because of the battle system, so I am a little worried. There HAVE been games GI has rated bad and everyone else rated great (Like Pokepark wii, which Is no 1 on my "worst wii games" list) that I agreed with GI on, so should I worry? I loved the battle system in FFII Despite the undeserved hate it gets, so could the same apply here? (If you like it the game is great if you don't it's bad)

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

Spoony_Tech

@TheDreamingHawk That same stupid review had me second guessing my purchase as well. I finally got a chance to load it up today and the battle system can be confusing at first but I don't see any issues with it. I think the game looks great and so far the frame rate issue aren't bothering me at all. The battle system is fun and right from the start throws you right into a ton of fights. RPG fans need to give this game some attention!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

TheDreamingHawk

Considering how I'm saving up for both the kirby collection AND the wii U, I won't be able to get it for a long time.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

Banker-Style

This is the best game on Wii in my books,and many will agree it's a beautiful game.
You really do need to buy it,and don't listen to many negatives reviews.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Gamesake

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Game informer rated this a 6 because of the battle system, so I am a little worried.

Don't be. If you dislike random encounters, The Last Story will be your new best friend. Just know that it's an action RPG so be prepared for that.

My only real gripes with the game so far are the frequent dips in frame rate and the blurriness that covers anything in the foreground and distant background. Normally I'd blame all that on hardware limitations, but Xenoblade and even Crystal Bearers didn't have those problems. If it wasn't for those two issues, The Last Story would rate higher than Xenoblade. The Last Story is simply more entertaining.

...in my pants.

Bankai

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Added to my christmas list for the year, but now I'm begging Grandma to buy it now so I can get that epic artbook. But Game informer rated this a 6 because of the battle system, so I am a little worried. There HAVE been games GI has rated bad and everyone else rated great (Like Pokepark wii, which Is no 1 on my "worst wii games" list) that I agreed with GI on, so should I worry? I loved the battle system in FFII Despite the undeserved hate it gets, so could the same apply here? (If you like it the game is great if you don't it's bad)

I think I'm the only other critic out there that gave this a negative review (I gave it 5/10), though for somewhat different reasons to Game Informer.

I may as well post the review here:

The Last Story is the most confusing game I’ve ever played – not for the game itself, but the sheer hype behind it. When we didn’t think it was being translated to English, I imported a copy from Japan, and proceeded to be bemused as Operation Rainfall and the like managed to elevate it to legendary status.

Then it was released in the EU and Australia, so I was able to play it. I was willing to give the game a second chance because I assumed my Japanese was imperfect enough that I missed the appeal of the game in my first play through.

But no, it’s just not a good game.

From start to finish, this feels like Hironobu Sakaguchi’s attempt to stick it to his former employer and make a game that is a Final Fantasy game in all but name. Even its own name is a “homage” to the Final Fantasy game.

The problem is the game was clearly made with a fraction of the budget of a real Final Fantasy game, the console of choice for the game is all wrong, and there’s just not that much genuine development talent in Mistwalker for this kind of thing.

We’ll start with the superficial, then work through the real problems the game faces. On a purely technical basis, this game is too ambitious for the Wii hardware. The framerate stutters, and often, but more importantly, there’s a clear vision here in the art direction that, unfortunately becomes a mess of jagged lines, drab colour splotches and more jagged lines in execution. There’s glimpses of what the game aspired to be here and there – the architecture has a European medieval majestry about it, and there’s real care put into the character design and costuming, but this is a game that belonged on a higher definition console.

I can’t help but compare to another Operation Rainfall campaign – Xenoblade Chronicles. That was a game that worked hard to be glorious by playing to what the Wii can do well. The Last Story tries to be glorious despite the Wii’s capabilities, and that approach falls flat.

The other technical element, the music and sound, is even worse in the translated game than the original. The English accents feel awkward, and you’re not talking about the top flight English actors here, either. It doesn’t help that they voice actors don’t have much to work with, but it's worth noting the Japanese soundtrack and voices are at least somewhat better. It would have been better to go with a subtitled story by default.

It’s hard to care about these characters. There’s one-note clowns, such as a woman with a penchant for alcohol (how original), and one-note heroes, such as the main character, who is a mercenary with honour that wants to be a knight (how original). The plot, too, is also wholly unoriginal, being the usual “kill the orc things, save the princess” deal. The big bad orc thing even goes so far to be a direct clone of Gannondorf from the Zelda series. To cap everything off, this game rushes through and is over in 20 hours. As much as I can appreciate the idea of a “bite sized” RPG, when you’re aiming for something this epic, you need to spend a little more time on plot development.

The reason the game is over so quickly is in part due to its penchant for big set pieces, rather than traditional encounter structures. Typically, dungeons are broken down into a few brief fights, and then a big set piece, where you’re typically outnumbered and outgunned. The game wants to be strategic. Before each set piece, the game pauses to give you a top down overview of what you’re facing. Then after you’ve planned your moves, the combat kicks off. As a rule of thumb what you want to be doing is taking out the magic users first, protecting your magic users, and then using attrition to wear down the rest of the fighters.

Strewn around the combat arenas are places to hide (you can sneak attack for massive damage), and other terrain to ultilise to create bottlenecks and the like. Melee combat is automatic, you just need to position your hero in the right space and he’ll wail away at the enemy. You hero also has a crossbow that can be used for sniping, or identifying structural weaknesses and the like to hit with magic to create some amusing effects. That’s aimed manually. Unfortunately the aiming controls are also clunky.

And, thanks to the speed of the combat, it’s never quite as strategic as it wants to be. The melee chaos is also not helped by the muddy colour palette that can make it difficult to see exactly what is going on at times, and a camera that tends to jump around at the critical moments. The big monsters and bosses are interesting looking creatures, but the strategies involved in defeating them tend to be very straightforward affairs.

These set pieces yield a lot of experience points, and levelling happens quite rapidly in this game. It’s just as well, because there are no random encounters. The game is extremely easy at the best of times, but if you do find yourself in a spot of bother, then you can use the summoning circles to create a few monsters to knock out; a contrived system that would be incredibly dull if it was ever needed.

There’s also next to no real customisation involved in the game. Characters gain skills when they hit certain levels, and while it’s possible to buy new weapons and upgrade existing ones, there’s not that much in terms of statistic boosts and the occasional ability upgrade that those weapons bring to the table. The Last Story ends up with a decidedly old school approach to loot and levelling. One that doesn’t mesh well with the fairly advanced ideas behind the actual combat.

Then there’s all the small little oversights that really hurt a game. At one stage early on a voice over says something along the lines of “the castle was brimming with energy leading up to the grand ball.” The castle was almost empty of people during that cut scene. It didn’t feel very energetic at all. Shortly after, the foul-mouthed alcoholic woman got herself in a fight with a knight. She’s told to put away her weapon. She was never holding a weapon.

It’s the little oversights, coupled with the overambitious technical elements for a Wii game, and combat that never quite manages to gel that makes The Last Story anything but a game worth getting worked up over. There’s a few good ideas in there, but the greater portion of the game is either generic or faulty, and to be blunt, even if you don’t have a PS3 with the mass of quality JRPGs available on it, even the Wii has produced much finer examples of the genre. If The Last Story is your last Wii adventure, then be prepared for the console to go out with a whimper.

That said, obviously Game Informer and I are in the minority here. There's every chance that you'll enjoy the game yourself, so go for it.

zezhyrule

I agree with most of the stuff you wrote, and yet I can't help loving this game. Sure I haven't played it in a week but... There's just something I like about it. It has a certain charm that appeals to me.
no I'm not talking about the invisibility dye go away

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.