Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 81 to 100 of 1,080

Supermegaman

Am I the only one who actually liked those graphics?
They bring me back to those days where I didnt understand what FPS stood for, and there was no hardcore vs casual argument, there was just good times in the same room. This is exactly what this looks like it will be, and I cant say anything about the original goldeneye (maybe if this sells well, nintendo could be convinced to get rights for Bond or somethin and put it on VC?), but this looks to be great fun.

warioswoods

@Chicken and Cowboy debate

I have to say that I'm a little excited by the very fact it might be a back-to-basics, split-screen FPS. I personally find that all the supposed innovations in the genre have ruined multiplayer over the years; nothing has ever measured up to the fun of Goldeneye, and yes I have played hours of games like Halo 3 and the most recent Call of Duty iterations with friends.

In some ways, there is actually more strategy involved when you pare down the moves and abilities to the absolute basics. I'd rather play Goldeneye with the settings on low-health and pistols-only than just about any FPS, because it becomes a very straightforward matter of basic combat strategies without all the complications of ridiculous weapons and environments. The ideal FPS, in my mind, shouldn't greatly privilege the players who have spent way too many hours finding all the stealth spots and mastering a ridiculously large inventory of different weapons; it should be a game where anyone can jump in and have a reasonable chance of winning.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Adam

There's also no regenerating health, which sets it apart from the majority of FPSes, but yes, simplicity is very much in its favor, for me. Low-health, pistols-only was actually one of my favorite modes, too, though I liked playing with mines a lot, too, if the other players were equally familiar with the levels.

I would think the promise of playing in the Facility again would be enough to catch anyone's interest. You can go in the bathroom.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Guybrush_Threepwood

I would only buy a remake for Xbox Live Arcade (like Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Perfect Dark) or the N64-version on Virtual Console. But I will definitely not support Activision cashing in on Rare's masterpiece by abusing the name.

Edited on by Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood

Adam

So if Rare remakes it, it's fine, but if Activision remakes it, it's a cash-in? People want it, why not give it to them? I can't begrudge them making money on something I want to buy. I don't blame you for being satisfied with the Rare Perfect Dark remake since it has the Goldeneye levels anyway (I think), but as a non-360-owner, this is pretty great news if true.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

warioswoods

Even if Rare made it, it wouldn't be the same developers who created and designed the original and who have since all left Rare over the years.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Oregano

warioswoods wrote:

Even if Rare made it, it wouldn't be the same developers who created and designed the original and who have since all left Rare over the years.

Many of which ended up at Eurocom.... who's wait a minute.... working on Goldeneye Wii.(apparently)

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

WiiPS2Guy

If it ends up good then I will buy it. Wonder how this will effect the Call of Duty Black Ops Wii sales as they are being released close together on the same platform and by the same publisher. I will probably end up getting both. Only a few hours and we will know 100% if this is true.

Edited on by WiiPS2Guy

WiiPS2Guy

Guybrush_Threepwood

weirdadam wrote:

So if Rare remakes it, it's fine, but if Activision remakes it, it's a cash-in? People want it, why not give it to them? I can't begrudge them making money on something I want to buy. I don't blame you for being satisfied with the Rare Perfect Dark remake since it has the Goldeneye levels anyway (I think), but as a non-360-owner, this is pretty great news if true.

Rare made the original! A remake by Rare would be the same game as the original with some nice enhancements (HD visuals, online multiplayer) since Rare has all the rights on the original game (Rare just doesn't own the James Bond/GoldenEye licence). It would be like the already released Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark remakes on Xbox Live Arcade: The remakes are playing to 99% like the originals on the Nintendo64 with only minor changes/enhancements!

The new GoldenEye by Activision is actually not a remake. It's a totally new game using only the name of the Nintendo64 classic and the James Bond licence. Gameplay mechanics, level designs, multiplayer maps and many more features will just not be the same because of legal reasons. So I don't really see why everybody calling this a remake even though Rare or the original game are not involved at all? That Activision needs to use the name of a videogaming classic made by another company to promote their new game sounds fishy to me since a great new James Bond game should be a million seller without a false label.

Guybrush_Threepwood

JimLad

BlackFira wrote:

yea well its better then nothing at least

This VS every post of skepticism.

JimLad

ejamer

weirdadam wrote:

So if Rare remakes it, it's fine, but if Activision remakes it, it's a cash-in?

Activision - the biggest 3rd party video game publisher in the world - has shown again and again that Wii games they release simply aren't worth buying. Wikipedia has a list of Wii games that you can sort by publisher. From over 80 games published by Activision, only a small handful of Call of Duty and Guitar Hero games are worth playing. But even with those games the Wii versions were clearly given lower priority (QA, advertising, and development budgets) than any other console.

I know you shouldn't judge a game by the publisher, but forgive me for being skeptical about this announcement when well over 90% of the games that Activision release are garbage.

*Edit: *
Adding link in case others want to check. Sort by publisher, and let me know if you find any games other than Call of Duty or Guitar Hero worth playing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

Edited on by ejamer

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Adam

Ah, I don't know Activision's history, as I buy few games myself nowadays. But Guybrush, as has already been pointed out, Rare is not the same company as it used to be. It's founders and most of the team behind Goldeneye are long gone. The current rare is no more the makers of Goldeneye than Activision, and someone else said the studio they formed is actually the one making this, though I don't know if that's true. That would seem a pretty big point in its favor, if so. I don't know enough to argue that myself.

Come on, friends,

Guybrush_Threepwood

weirdadam wrote:

Ah, I don't know Activision's history, as I buy few games myself nowadays. But Guybrush, as has already been pointed out, Rare is not the same company as it used to be.

It's obvious that Rare is far away from the quality of its Nintendo days. But the remakes of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Perfect Dark proved that Rare can do perfect remakes of their Nintendo64 classics (or at least find some capable company to do it for them). Doing a remake is not as difficult as producing a new game of course. You have only to adjust the existing game to the new platform.

And as I said Activision won't do a remake. They may own the James Bond licence. But Activision has to build an entirely new game since Rare is still owning the original game (a 1:1 remake by Activision would only lead to loss in a law suit). The name "GoldenEye" is just used for promotional purposes.

Guybrush_Threepwood

SandMan

GGOLLDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Dreams

Kid_A

I seriously can't believe this is real.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Marvelousmoo

Yay for multiplayer! I was really afraid that people would forget about splitscreen and only have online. The experience just isn't the same. Its going to be amazing.

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo

Yay for multiplayer! I was really afraid that people would forget about splitscreen and only have online. The experience just isn't the same. Its going to be amazing.

Marvelousmoo

Pj1

It's Good NEWS Nintendo's E3 sounds good but I'd like to see pictures of 3DS! so it could mean Goldeneye could come out for VC as well? or are we only dreaming....

Pj1

Rally

Marvelousmoo wrote:

You do know that Quantum Of Solace has split-screen gameplay.

I miss having a chatroom that was always in beta.

Nintendo Network ID: --- | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.