Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,080

Rensch

So is this a true remake of the N64 version of old? Or more of a variation upon it?

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Tasuki

Pj wrote:

It's Good NEWS Nintendo's E3 sounds good but I'd like to see pictures of 3DS! so it could mean Goldeneye could come out for VC as well? or are we only dreaming....

We will probably never see the original GoldenEye come out on the VC due to licensing issues. 1) Rare made GoldenEye exclusivly for the N64 back in the days when Rare was contracted with Nintendo to do Nintendo only games this was also during the time of Killer Instinct and the DKC series. Since than Rare has been bought out by Microsoft. So in other words Nintendo and Microsoft have to come to an agreement with GoldenEye since the rights were 50/50 due to Rare. 2) The James Bond License as far as video games goes is now with Activision/Blizzard. So to release an older James Bond game would have to get an approval from Activision/Blizzard.

So in other words in order for GoldenEye to come to the VC or XBLA Microsoft, Nintendo and Activision/Blizzard would have to agree on a price point and how to handle it since all three companies are going to want a piece of the pie so to speak I cant see them bringing the original out and if they do it will probably be very pricey. Hence why Activision/Blizzard is doing the next best thing at least thats there belief.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

The_Fox

warioswoods wrote:

In some ways, there is actually more strategy involved when you pare down the moves and abilities to the absolute basics. I'd rather play Goldeneye with the settings on low-health and pistols-only than just about any FPS, because it becomes a very straightforward matter of basic combat strategies without all the complications of ridiculous weapons and environments.

Or more likely a giant camping match.

warioswoods wrote:

The ideal FPS, in my mind, shouldn't greatly privilege the players who have spent way too many hours finding all the stealth spots and mastering a ridiculously large inventory of different weapons; it should be a game where anyone can jump in and have a reasonable chance of winning.

What game do you know of where that scenario doesn't happen? If players are going to pump dozens upon dozens of hours into a game of course they'll have an advantage over a newbie.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Kid_A

The+Fox wrote:

warioswoods wrote:

In some ways, there is actually more strategy involved when you pare down the moves and abilities to the absolute basics. I'd rather play Goldeneye with the settings on low-health and pistols-only than just about any FPS, because it becomes a very straightforward matter of basic combat strategies without all the complications of ridiculous weapons and environments.

Or more likely a giant camping match.

warioswoods wrote:

The ideal FPS, in my mind, shouldn't greatly privilege the players who have spent way too many hours finding all the stealth spots and mastering a ridiculously large inventory of different weapons; it should be a game where anyone can jump in and have a reasonable chance of winning.

What game do you know of where that scenario doesn't happen? If players are going to pump dozens upon dozens of hours into a game of course they'll have an advantage over a newbie.

Well yes, but there's a balance. For example, I'm unstopable at Mario Kart Wii, because I've put a hundred or so hours into it. But, a newbie isn't going to have any trouble jumping into the experience and having fun, and the nature of the game means there's a good chance they might win as well. Halo, on the other hand, simply isn't any fun to play with people who know the game. Unless you've logged as many hours as your opponent, chances are you're not going to have an ounce of fun. The original Goldeneye found that balance--intuitive controls (for the time) made the game extremely accessable and fun for anyone who picked up the controller.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

moomoo

I'm really ticked off, knowing that this is 100% real now.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

The_Fox

@KidA
But the same problems are there. You know exactly how to take the corners, when the pick-ups are coming, where to find a short cut and even possibly where to glitch to on certain tracks. Why? Because you've spent hours getting to know them. You'll even know the best way to use the items. Newbies will know none of this, and unless you intentionally restrain yourself their chances of winning are slim at best.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

irken004

The+Fox wrote:

@KidA
But the same problems are there. You know exactly how to take the corners, when the pick-ups are coming, where to find a short cut and even possibly where to glitch to on certain tracks. Why? Because you've spent hours getting to know them. You'll even know the best way to use the items. Newbies will know none of this, and unless you intentionally restrain yourself their chances of winning are slim at best.

All FPS gamers get used to their games, that's why so many FPS sequels are released with new maps. FPSs get old really fast compared to other genres.

Kid_A

The+Fox wrote:

@KidA

Right, and as you said, that's unavoidable. What I'm saying, and what I think Warioswoods was getting at, is that it shouldn't be heavily biased towards long-time players. Newbs should still have a reasonable chance of winning, and if not, they should at least feel immediately comfortable with the controls and gameplay. With the Wii Remote being so intuitive for shooters, I don't think this will be a problem.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Adam

Most games will be biased like that, but it's simple enough that you learn quickly and it's fun even when you're losing because you immediately know what you did wrong, unlike in more overwhelmingly complicated games.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

theblackdragon

i think it'd be cool if the old maps were unlockable, or if they threw in new paths and/or obstacles to the old maps to freshen them up and perhaps take away some of the advantage long-time players would retain after playing the hell outta the original.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Tasuki

The+Fox wrote:

@KidA

Lol I when you mentioned knowing corners it reminded me how I use to beat my friend in GoldenEye by banking grenades around corners right into his face as he was coming down the hallway. God I cant wait for this game almost half temped to look for a N64 online so I can play my copy of GoldenEye.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Bankai

Now that it's official:

What a stupid move by Activision. Surely they should have realised that there is no way this remake can possibly compare with people's memories of Goldeneye on the N64.

Rule #1 of videogame remakes: If people get nostalgic over a game, don't remake it. Even if you do it better, rose-tinted glasses are hard to beat.

Adam

A lot of people still have N64s. It's not like the game is ancient history. The game can easily be improved. It's sluggish by today's standards. IR controls reportedly work well. Online is a nice addition for those occasions when no one's around to do split screen. Already seems like a better game to me. Doesn't seem stupid at all, and the amount of excitement surrounding the game certainly shows it's not.

Plus, if memories were so magnified, no one would be buying NES games on VC. I know they aren't remakes, but they still have to compete with our memory of the game, and though I'm sure most people remember a lot of these games being more fun than they were, that doesn't mean they aren't still fun. A remake can surely still improve.

By the way, it's not a strict remake. Probably closer to Metroid Zero Mission's version of remakes. They said levels will be different, new modes added, and even the story (?!) will be different, just hitting the same locales with familiar characters and general similarities all around without being the same game plus IR.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Bankai

weirdadam wrote:

A lot of people still have N64s. It's not like the game is ancient history. The game can easily be improved. It's sluggish by today's standards. IR controls reportedly work well. Online is a nice addition for those occasions when no one's around to do split screen. Already seems like a better game to me. Doesn't seem stupid at all, and the amount of excitement surrounding the game certainly shows it's not.

Plus, if memories were so magnified, no one would be buying NES games on VC. I know they aren't remakes, but they still have to compete with our memory of the game, and though I'm sure most people remember a lot of these games being more fun than they were, that doesn't mean they aren't still fun. A remake can surely still improve.

By the way, it's not a strict remake. Probably closer to Metroid Zero Mission's version of remakes. They said levels will be different, new modes added, and even the story (?!) will be different, just hitting the same locales with familiar characters and general similarities all around without being the same game plus IR.

Still not convinced. And if whoever is developing this gets the IR right, it'd be basically a first for an Activision FPSer.

Chrono_Cross

I'm hoping for the online to be very robust. Voice chat, lag free, and the ability to send friend requests to whoever I want to like in Monster Hunter 3.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

irken004

Chrono+Cross wrote:

I'm hoping for the online to be very robust. Voice chat, lag free, and the ability to send friend requests to whoever I want to like in Monster Hunter 3.

That'd be epic. Or keyboard support, at least.

Adam

Eurocom is developing it, Waltz. They also did Dead Space Extraction, which used IR but was more of a light gun game. A lot of people liked it, though I didn't, myself.

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.