Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 61 to 80 of 1,080

irken004

Token+Girl wrote:

I hope it's not real. It's not like it's going to have anything actually similar to the N64 game. They don't have the rights to the levels Rare designed after all. A straight remake with online would be alll old school fans need to make up for no Goldeneye on VC, but it legally can't be that.

You didn't see the video? The levels look completely similar to the old game. Whether it's real or not remains to be decided, but at least it's remotely faithful to the old game.

Edited on by irken004

Adam

The fact that it's a remake is what made me assume it's a fake. IGN has been telling us for years now that Retro is making Kid Icarus, so it's not like this would be the first time they've been completely duped. When the trailer's most reliable source is a glorified fraternity, I can't put too much faith in it, but if it is real, it's obviously more than a little similar to the N64 game.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

BulbasaurusRex

shake_zula wrote:

loved the original, but hate Wii FPS controls

You are in quite the minority. Personally, I don't care much for FPS controls unless it is the Wii. Dual analog controls suck!

Anyway, even if this is real, I bet Conduit 2 will be better. It will be very interesting to compare the two of them after release, as they will both be hugely hyped Wii exclusive FPS games with split-screen and online multiplayer released about the same time.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

Bankai

You are in quite the minority.

Only here. There's a reason FPSers sell better on Xbox and PS3 than they do on the Wii.

I'm going to assume this is a fake because Activision would need to be insane to publish something that is going to be slammed (even if it is a really good game) for comparing badly with nostalgia.

the_shpydar

weirdadam wrote:

Perhaps they don't have the rights to use the old Bond's likeness anymore?

If real, this is guaranteed. Keeping Brosnan in would require a whole new deal with him and for a new use of his likeness in a video game.

weirdadam wrote:

The fact that it's a remake is what made me assume it's a fake. IGN has been telling us for years now that Retro is making Kid Icarus, so it's not like this would be the first time they've been completely duped. When the trailer's most reliable source is a glorified fraternity, I can't put too much faith in it, but if it is real, it's obviously more than a little similar to the N64 game.

Get out of my brain.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

retired_account

Looks like a blast, but those graphics are fugly.

retired_account

Kid_A

I'll believe it when I see it. These graphics are PS1 quality.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Awesome5

Wow, the Wii is starting to get a lot of sweet FPS's (Conduit 2, Black Ops, and now this).

Awesome5

BulbasaurusRex

WaltzElf wrote:

You are in quite the minority.

Only here. There's a reason FPSers sell better on Xbox and PS3 than they do on the Wii.

Three reasons actually, but not because of the controls: A lot of FPS fans are the kind of gamers who think the Wii is too "casual;" up to this point, there haven't been a lot of really good Wii FPS games; and the Wii has an inferior online service. Hopefully, Conduit 2 and this game (if real) will start turning those numbers around.

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

kevohki

pixelman wrote:

Looks like a blast, but those graphics are fugly.

Fugly is an understatement. I firmly believe that graphics aren't everything but these graphics are terrible by even early PS2 standards. Awful graphics like these = half-a**ed effort, there's no excuse, especially for a reveal trailer.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Bankai

Three reasons actually, but not because of the controls: A lot of FPS fans are the kind of gamers who think the Wii is too "casual;" up to this point, there haven't been a lot of really good Wii FPS games; and the Wii has an inferior online service. Hopefully, Conduit 2 and this game (if real) will start turning those numbers around.

Well not really because when it comes to multiformat FPSers, ones that sell more on brand than the quality of the game (which is uniformly high), the PS3 and Xbox outsell the Wii.

Call of Duty or Quantum of Solace, for instance. In fact, anecdotal, but I own both the PS3 and Wii versions of Quantum of Solace, and using the Wiimote, or Zapper, is a terrible experience compared to the Dual Analogue. Otherwise, it's the exact same game, just graphically inferior on the Wii.

jbrodack

Reviewers and gamers mostly like wii controls for fps games they just don't like the actual games as much as those on xbox or ps3 because they aren't as technically advanced and don't have nearly as full featured online as fps games for those systems. I'm not saying those are "better" but they do have more features.

On topic, I'm considering this a hoax and rumor until activision can confirm this. It looks like a mod with a better engine than the original but pretty much the same models maybe cleaned up a bit. The original was great fun and was the first console fps to really get people's attention though it wasn't quite as revolutionary as people make it out to be. It did have addictive multiplayer with tons of options which is what made it popular. The mechanics and technical aspects of it suck today though. The frame rate wasn't the best and was crap in 4 player games plus the n64 controller is horrible for fps gaming. With a smoother framerate and better controls either pointer based for classic controller dual analog style it could be better plus with online play.

However, even if this version were to come out it won't be made by rare and won't even have the same james bond so won't be quite the same. Also, the graphics really are bad. People have judged graphics for games since they have come out or at the very least since nintendo nes came out. Its not some new thing that people have started doing so stop pretending things were ever that way. People always pretend the past way better. Gameplay is the most important thing but if the graphics are really bad it can be distracting. Even more important is that while the technical aspects of the graphics aren't important, the art direction is important. Many retro games get attention for great sprite work or for a "retro" look which means people do care about graphics one way or another.

In any case I'd rather have another timesplitters game. It was the true successor to goldeneye and perfect dark just with a different look and style.

wii code: 2630-2655-0027-8482
onslaught friend code: 1977-7779-8949
bomberman blast: 1634 2282 0930

romulux

what's wrong with the graphics? they're not the best, but if we're talking about the same video, it looks way better than most wii games so far. the conduit has nothing on this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32pdNtov_g
(the setup in the first half just seems too dumb to be real, but i doubt someone could hoax all that gameplay footage)

after playing the perfect dark on xbla it really is clear how much these games have aged. i wasn't interested in a goldeneye update for that reason, but this looks like it's a complete remake that'll bring the gameplay up to date rather than leaving it unaltered in it's fun--but--extremely--ancient original state like the perfect dark remake.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Tsuchinoko

@Waltzelf I'm guessing you mean the stereotypical online-play halo type FPR, because i found the controls for Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy to be amazing and very responsive.

It does seem like they're amping up the Wii's game library these days.

I still wouldn't mind them making a deal to have the older Goldeneye on the VC, but wouldn't that make the remake redundant?

EDIT!!:

@Waveboy Dammit wave, you typed my responce as i was sending it. oh well, at least i'm not the only one who thought that.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

A-SWE

Activision just took down another sett of videos of this game on youtube

[url=http://backloggery.com/mrb][/url]

A-SWE

WaveBoy wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

@Waltzelf I'm guessing you mean the stereotypical online-play halo type FPR, because i found the controls for Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy to be amazing and very responsive.

It does seem like they're amping up the Wii's game library these days.

I still wouldn't mind them making a deal to have the older Goldeneye on the VC, but wouldn't that make the remake redundant?

EDIT!!:

@Waveboy Dammit wave, you typed my responce as i was sending it. oh well, at least i'm not the only one who thought that.

lol. nobody beats the wave.
And while I'm at it, keyboard and mouse is just as dated, archiac, boring, unengaging and cheap as dual analog. Both control schemes are garbage if you ask me. Wii has set the standard. I was just floored the first time I experienced Metroid Prime 3. Such an amazing experience, one of the Wii's greatest.

Wii fps controlls are good (mostly) but playing with FPS with keyboard and mouse cant be beat.

[url=http://backloggery.com/mrb][/url]

Philip_J_Reed

weirdadam wrote:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Splat wrote:

Gameplay > Graphics

But I didn't see anything in that video that wasn't being done in the multiplayer component to Half-Life 1, however many years ago that was, and every shooter since. What's interesting about the content of that video apart from the word "GOLDENEYE" slapped over it? I can't see anything even potentially unique about the experience, and if there was anything unique, they can rightfully be faulted by not pointing it out in the trailer.

Why is Goldeneye's name not enough? The game was hugely popular, so if the standard that name set is anything to go by, we should expect the game to be good, unlike if it were a sequel or remake of a game with a name like, say The Conduit. The promise of playing a classic game with enhancements like online play is enticing to old fans. If there were a Half Life game on Wii, then I might understand the comparison, but there isn't. I don't know of any good shooters on Wii with split-screen and online play. Actually, I'd say I don't know of any good FPSes on Wii at all, but I haven't tried whatever the last Call of Duty on Wii was, and I heard it was okay.

The game was indeed hugely popular, but it was popular because it brought to the genre a lot of innovation. And, yeah, it was a downright hoot to play. (Multiplayer anyway...I don't think I ever touched the single player mode!) But you need more than the name to make this worth buying. Anything the game did on the N64 that felt new now just feels vanilla. It should bring SOMETHING new to the table, because anyone looking to do any of the things seen in that video has already done them a dozen times over several consoles since.

It's wonderful that whomever owns the Goldeneye name is going to pull down a buttload of money, but I can't see it standing out from the pack.

And for the record, I thought The Conduit played very well. (Whether I'm in the minority on that, I don't know...but I don't feel that that was one of its problems.) It was just plagued by a lack of innovation (and glitchy online for many players, but if the Wii has taught us anything, it's that we can't assume Goldeneye will be any better until we play it). And lack of innovation seems to be what Goldeneye is bringing to the table.

NSMBWii and Mega Man 9/10 work well as intentional throwbacks to a simpler era of gaming without having to rely on many (if any) more modern quirks. People enjoy diving back into those simpler times because it's a welcome relief from the kinds of games that dominate today.

But Goldeneye isn't that kind of throwback. It's not a relief from the kinds of games that dominate today; it IS the type of game that dominates today, with graphics upstaged by any given youtube hoax and a lack of any interesting feature to set it apart.

I understand what you mean by the relative dearth of FPS options on the Wii, but it's the same debate that came up with the release of The Conduit: if anyone out there is dying for an FPS, why did they only buy a Wii?

We'll see. As I said before, I hope it's fun. But it doesn't look like much of an experience.

EDIT: Yeah, the Half-Life comparison wasn't totally fair...I was just trying to make a point of how far back this kind of gameplay (and visuals...ugh...) stretched into the mainstream. But even though there is no Half-Life for the Wii, anyone posting on Nintendo Life has a computer powerful enough to run the original, and it typically hovers around $5 on Steam, so...there you go! No need to even wait for Goldeneye!

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Adam

I don't have a computer that can run an FPS, and I can't stand Half-Life anyway.

But since you brought it up, if they remade Half Life for Wii, would you be excited for it? I get the impression you would because you're a fan of the series, though I could be wrong. I don't see why Goldeneye fans would not be excited about a remake that adds more to a game they already enjoy. Single-player was very good, by the way, no less enjoyable than multi-player.

And as for online, Conduit was made by High Voltage, who'd never made an online game before, and never made a good game before. Most games made since Mario Kart by big name companies have had good online modes, that I know of. Assuming Activision really is doing this, though I won't assume online will be perfect, I am more optimistic.

I care more about split-screen, personally, and in the absence of a VC release, this would be more than satisfactory. For that reason, Conduit 2 is on my radar as well, though the unending stream of criticism leveled at the game has me wary of it. You can't really look at reviews of this game and compare it to Goldeneye. Maybe if online wasn't riddled with problems, but playing against friends in the same room and fighting about screen peeking will always be more fun anyway.

Perhaps as a remake it could be done as a budget release, too. That would be splendid.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

warioswoods

weirdadam wrote:

. . . playing against friends in the same room and fighting about screen peeking will always be more fun anyway.

Ja.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Philip_J_Reed

weirdadam wrote:

But since you brought it up, if they remade Half Life for Wii, would you be excited for it? I get the impression you would because you're a fan of the series, though I could be wrong. I don't see why Goldeneye fans would not be excited about a remake that adds more to a game they already enjoy.

I see what you're getting at, and I respect your opinion. There's really no further that you or I can take the conversation without knowing more (such as whether this game actually exists!), so I'll just say that Goldeneye fans, of which there were many, have already played similar games that add more countless times in every FPS since then. I can't see many of them being very interested in taking a big step backward for the sake of playing a game with the same name as one they used to enjoy.

But, again, I'm only going by what I saw in the trailer, which is admittedly not much. It may bring loads of new ideas to the genre. But, if it did, I have to wonder why they didn't bother to show off anything other than a scoped weapon and melee attacks in the trailer.

And to answer your question, as it's a valid one, I would definitely flip if I heard that a Half-life game was coming to the Wii. But without question I'd be disappointed if the trailer was released revealing no interesting gameplay mechanics whatsoever. I see what you're getting at, though...and the fact is that I would be more optimistic about that by virtue of my fandom.

We'll see what we get. If anything. haha

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.