Forums

Topic: Your Guess as to this year's surprise E3 Wii U Announcement(s)

Posts 341 to 360 of 448

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

That and I imagine that there aren't many unannounced games yet to be released on Wii U. I'm anticipate that development for games for the next console has already started, so I could see additional Mario Kart DLC to appease fans.

I don't think the Wii U is done just yet, there's plenty of IPs that haven't shown up yet. We still don't have:

-Metroid (confirmed to be in development)
-Animal Crossing
-Paper Mario
-main series Kirby (Return to Dreamland/Triple Deluxe style game)
-Mario sports
-Wario platformer
-Mario collectathon (we know there's some kind of Mario game in development, it could be this)

So there's plenty they could still do with the Wii U, I don't think the library is going to be that sparse (well, not much more than usual that is). I think several developers at this point are starting to shift to next gen, but some of them are probably also still working on 8th gen games.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Honestly, I don't even notice any sort of problem with Mario's controls, they work fine to me. The rehashing is the only real problem I have with modern Mario games.

Yeah, the genius of Mario is the fact that the game uses so few buttons. That's part of what makes the games controls so tight and intuitive. Y is run/grab/fireball and B is jump. That's it. Then there are combinations of them like hold and then tap Y while dropping the middle of your thumb on b. Or holding down to run upto and grab an item before letting go. Genius and all immediately obvious once you learn what those two buttons are for.

Compare that to a more modern game like GTA.... It's no wonder they have to remind you every five seconds what button does what

But at least GTA assigns one function at a time to a button. This allows for far more intuitive application of the controls. You just press the button when you need it.

I would argue that 2D Mario games, despite the control scheme being simple, have a very complex and difficult to learn applications of that control scheme. You need to press a specific combination of buttons to do a certain thing.

If you ask me, that's not genius, that's being stuck in the 1980s when games were forced to do this due to a lack of inputs. Nintendo even realized this, hence why they shelved it for Mario 64-Galaxy 2.

What a load. In Super Mario 64 there are only really three buttons to control Mario, the same number as there were in Super Mairo World. Z was crouch, A was jump, B was punch. Everything else is either a combo or is context sensitive. If you need to do something it will be done with one of those three buttons. And the vast majority of said things are pretty intuitive like if you want to jump higher/further you crouch before you jump. If you want to land more forcefully you crouch while in the air. If you want to kick something in the air you hit the punch button and the jump button. Imagine if they had included separate buttons for all those things as you suggest......

And sorry, but the way modern games have gone does make for more complicated controls. No question. With a game like GTA it makes sense to use every button and for every button to then also be context sensitive. Which is insanity but it's also a game where you can do anything and everything. But that doesn't make games simpler to control when they use every single button. There's no way to intuitively know what button does what before you've done it in modern games, something which is very clear if you're swapping between KB/Mouse and a controller. To put it simply, there's no jump button in 3D Zeldas and that's a good thing....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

That's nice and all, but I can list as many franchises as I want; that doesn't mean they'll release them on Wii U. I would kill for another Paper Mario or Metroid Prime, but to expect that in the next few years feels like wishful thinking to me. Franchises have been known to skip consoles (Star Fox & Wii, Pikmin and Wii, F-Zero and... many things).

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

That's nice and all, but I can list as many franchises as I want; that doesn't mean they'll release them on Wii U. I would kill for another Paper Mario or Metroid Prime, but to expect that in the next few years feels like wishful thinking to me. Franchises have been known to skip consoles (Star Fox & Wii, Pikmin and Wii, F-Zero and... many things).

F-Zero didn't skip a generation. F-Zero died. Different story altogether. Also, you forgot Metroid skipping the N64.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Honestly, I don't even notice any sort of problem with Mario's controls, they work fine to me. The rehashing is the only real problem I have with modern Mario games.

Yeah, the genius of Mario is the fact that the game uses so few buttons. That's part of what makes the games controls so tight and intuitive. Y is run/grab/fireball and B is jump. That's it. Then there are combinations of them like hold and then tap Y while dropping the middle of your thumb on b. Or holding down to run upto and grab an item before letting go. Genius and all immediately obvious once you learn what those two buttons are for.

Compare that to a more modern game like GTA.... It's no wonder they have to remind you every five seconds what button does what

But at least GTA assigns one function at a time to a button. This allows for far more intuitive application of the controls. You just press the button when you need it.

I would argue that 2D Mario games, despite the control scheme being simple, have a very complex and difficult to learn applications of that control scheme. You need to press a specific combination of buttons to do a certain thing.

If you ask me, that's not genius, that's being stuck in the 1980s when games were forced to do this due to a lack of inputs. Nintendo even realized this, hence why they shelved it for Mario 64-Galaxy 2.

What a load. In Super Mario 64 there are only really three buttons to control Mario, the same number as there were in Super Mairo World. Z was crouch, A was jump, B was punch. Everything else is either a combo or is context sensitive. If you need to do something it will be done with one of those three buttons. And the vast majority of said things are pretty intuitive like if you want to jump higher/further you crouch before you jump. If you want to land more forcefully you crouch while in the air. If you want to kick something in the air you hit the punch button and the jump button. Imagine if they had included separate buttons for all those things as you suggest......

And sorry, but the way modern games have gone does make for more complicated controls. No question. With a game like GTA it makes sense to use every button and for every button to then also be context sensitive. Which is insanity but it's also a game where you can do anything and everything. But that doesn't make games simpler to control when they use every single button. There's no way to intuitively know what button does what before you've done it in modern games, something which is very clear if you're swapping between KB/Mouse and a controller. To put it simply, there's no jump button in 3D Zeldas and that's a good thing....

I never said Mario should have controls like GTA. I said at least GTA understands the concept of "one function at a time". Mario 64 understands that, so does Zelda. 2D Mario games assign 3 functions to one button SIMULTANEOUSLY. That's the problem

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

iKhan wrote:

I never said Mario should have controls like GTA. I said at least GTA understands the concept of "one function at a time". Mario 64 understands that, so does Zelda. 2D Mario games assign 3 functions to one button SIMULTANEOUSLY. That's the problem

Well then give people with little gaming experience a 2D Mario game and a game like GTA and report back with the result. I guarantee you the 2D Mario people will get a hold of the controls quicker. I remember when I was a kid only taking a few seconds to master the controls of Mario. I still press the wrong button to do things like open car doors when I play a new game like GTA. There's no debate.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NinjaWaddleDee

I predict the following:

Release dates for:

• Mario Maker
  • Yoshi's Wooly World
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Devil's Third
  • Star Fox gets delayed to December.
  • Zelda is again confirmed for next year. Probably holiday 2016.

New DLC for:

• Mario Kart 8 - One more final DLC pack.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - A new character is unveiled. Hype ensues.
  • Splatoon

New Things

• Possibly Metroid 3ds and Wii U dual release.
  • A new Nintendo collaboration similar to Hyrule Warriors.
  • Pokken is confirmed to be coming to Wii U in Spring 2016.
  • New amiibos for a game coming out this year are unveiled. Probably Xenoblade Chronicles X or Star Fox. Very limited. Ebay exclusive. Don't even bother trying to get them.

Aaaand that's all I can think of. Really, if they just give us Metroid I'll be happy.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

WebHead

My full predictions:
Wii U:
-Full Star Fox unveil, holiday 2015
-English story trailer for XCX, holiday 2015
-Brief Mario Maker trailer, release date
-Brief Yoshi's Woolly World trailer, October 2015
-Devil's Third, August 2015
-Project Guard and Giant Robot
-SMTxFE release window
-Project Treasure
-Third party/Indie reel
-Pokken Tournament port announced, Spring 2016
-Animal Crossing Wii U, 2016
-HD remaster for December(Mario Galaxy 1 or Twilight Princess)
-Small tease for whatever Retro Studios is working on
-New collaboration title
-Splatoon DLC

3DS:
-Info on Pokemon X/Y sequel
-as stated before, Mario Maker 3DS
-FE If trailer
-RH Trilogy
-Third party localizations
-Amiibo Tap
-Nintendo remaster
-Next Level Games project

Smash:
-Lucas available right after the presentation
-Smash DLC character reveal

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

Pikmin is arguable as the first 2 games were given waggle control upgrades for Wii.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

Whitewatermoose wrote:

WebHead wrote:

My full predictions:
Wii U:
-Full Star Fox unveil, holiday 2015
-English story trailer for XCX, holiday 2015
-Brief Mario Maker trailer, release date
-Brief Yoshi's Woolly World trailer, October 2015
-Devil's Third, August 2015
-Project Guard and Giant Robot
-SMTxFE release window
-Project Treasure
-Third party/Indie reel
-Pokken Tournament port announced, Spring 2016
-Animal Crossing Wii U, 2016
-HD remaster for December(Mario Galaxy 1 or Twilight Princess)
-Small tease for whatever Retro Studios is working on
-New collaboration title
-Splatoon DLC

3DS:
-Info on Pokemon X/Y sequel
-as stated before, Mario Maker 3DS
-FE If trailer
-RH Trilogy
-Third party localizations
-Amiibo Tap
-Nintendo remaster
-Next Level Games project

Smash:
-Lucas available right after the presentation
-Smash DLC character reveal

I think you covered it all. The only things that are missing is there is probably a third party collaboration. I also think there is a HD remake for Wii U. They may not be both for 2015. I think the better question is how many third party games will we get this year.

The 3DS, I assume that one title is strictly for new 3ds, and localizations of the RPGs.

Hence"new collaboration title." As for 3DS remaster. Either that or a Kirby remake. I'm sure some form of New 3DS exclusive will be announced.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Sample_Text

InterwebUser wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

InterwebUser wrote:

I'm hoping they add GameCube adapter support for Wii U games other than Sm4sh. Seriously, how is this not a thing yet?

Is the pro controller really that unpleasant?

I actually prefer the Pro Controller. Buuuut I only have 1 pro controller and 4 GC controllers and an adapter. It'd be nice to have extra non-Wiimotes for MK8 and other games without breaking the bank on more Pro Controllers.

Same here. I would totally be on board with buying an adapter if it worked with more than Smash Wii U. At least compatibility with the Wii menu would be nice. Right now $30 seems really unjustified for a controller adapter, even Microsoft only charges $20 for Xbox controller adapters for PC.

Not much to say here. I like Nintendo. That's about it.

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo will announce a new Wii U exclusive lineup of "My [insert animal here]" games!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

erv

If this year reggie drops a comment on how he thinks the wii u still has a good two years of life in it, no one is preordering an nx

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

That's not a whole lot of IPs though, and the Wii U is missing many more. I think we'll get at least 4 or 5.

Also, we already know Metroid is in development, and has been for at least the last year. There's a good chance it'll be released before the Wii U is done.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Well then give people with little gaming experience a 2D Mario game and a game like GTA and report back with the result. I guarantee you the 2D Mario people will get a hold of the controls quicker. I remember when I was a kid only taking a few seconds to master the controls of Mario. I still press the wrong button to do things like open car doors when I play a new game like GTA. There's no debate.

I still haven't come close to mastering the controls of 2D Mario games. I mean, I know what button does what sure, but the complexity of actually using the controls properly is pretty high. You have to tip toe around the game to avoid accidentally grabbing another player when you are just trying to run or pull off an attack, you need to perfect your "knuckle dexterity" so that you can hold onto Y while pressing B when necessary, or vice versa (and IMO, that's really uncomfortable).

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

UGXwolf

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I still haven't come close to mastering the controls of 2D Mario games. I mean, I know what button does what sure, but the complexity of actually using the controls properly is pretty high. You have to tip toe around the game to avoid accidentally grabbing another player when you are just trying to run or pull off an attack, you need to perfect your "knuckle dexterity" so that you can hold onto Y while pressing B when necessary, or vice versa (and IMO, that's really uncomfortable).

See, you keep saying that, but I've never actually had a problem with this. I Learned those controls when I was four and never once had trouble with them. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm no gaming prodigy. I get treated like a stationary target in FPSs, turned into Mr. Sandbag in most fighting games, and can only speed run by warching others do it, first. I'm doomed, if I ever try a strategy game and even in my best genre, there are still plenty of people that make me look like I picked up a plastic guitar for the first time, yesterday. So if the controls are so unintuitive, how did 4-year-old me pick them up so fast and never once have any trouble with them?

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

F-Zero didn't skip a generation. F-Zero died. Different story altogether. Also, you forgot Metroid skipping the N64.

If that's what you want to call it then Metroid is also 'dead,' what with no studios with precedent working on it for 5 years to our knowledge.

Haru17

Whitewatermoose wrote:

A Metroid style RTS could be interesting.

No, no, no, no. Metroid is a game about a single playable character traversing a world. If Nintendo wants to make a neat RTS they can make another Pikmin or a new IP, but don't call for them to turn Metroid into another generic Starcraft-like.

But I think we are more likely to see a Dead Space or Dark Souls style Metroid...

How about we just say 'survival horror-like' and not cite a generic action adventure like Dead Space 3 or a game that is so obscure as to be entirely antagonist to Nintendo's whole design philosophy. Nintendo making a Dark Souls-ish game isn't even problematic, it's just plain impossible if they continue on their expected course.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

If that's what you want to call it then Metroid is also 'dead,' what with no studios with precedent working on it for 5 years to our knowledge.

5 years with no Metroid vs. 11 years with no F-Zero.

Yep, Metroid is just as dead as F-Zero.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

5 years with no Metroid vs. 11 years with no F-Zero.

Yep, Metroid is just as dead as F-Zero.

Lol, 5 years is some whole console generations!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.