Forums

Topic: Your Guess as to this year's surprise E3 Wii U Announcement(s)

Posts 361 to 380 of 448

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

That's nice and all, but I can list as many franchises as I want; that doesn't mean they'll release them on Wii U. I would kill for another Paper Mario or Metroid Prime, but to expect that in the next few years feels like wishful thinking to me. Franchises have been known to skip consoles (Star Fox & Wii, Pikmin and Wii, F-Zero and... many things).

F-Zero didn't skip a generation. F-Zero died. Different story altogether. Also, you forgot Metroid skipping the N64.

If that's what you want to call it then Metroid is also 'dead,' what with no studios with precedent working on it for 5 years to our knowledge.

5 years with no Metroid vs. 11 years with no F-Zero.

Yep, Metroid is just as dead as F-Zero.

Lol, 5 years is some whole console generations!

Well this one's not over yet.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

CaviarMeths

We know that at the very least, Metroid is in planning stages as of Miyamoto's comments last year. My suspicion is that it's actually been in active development since at least that time. Seeing Samus again in 2016 isn't farfetched at all.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

faint

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I want moar games.

That's nice and all, but I can list as many franchises as I want; that doesn't mean they'll release them on Wii U. I would kill for another Paper Mario or Metroid Prime, but to expect that in the next few years feels like wishful thinking to me. Franchises have been known to skip consoles (Star Fox & Wii, Pikmin and Wii, F-Zero and... many things).

F-Zero didn't skip a generation. F-Zero died. Different story altogether. Also, you forgot Metroid skipping the N64.

If that's what you want to call it then Metroid is also 'dead,' what with no studios with precedent working on it for 5 years to our knowledge.

5 years with no Metroid vs. 11 years with no F-Zero.

Yep, Metroid is just as dead as F-Zero.

we have waited longer for zelda in the past.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

CaviarMeths

faint wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

We have? o_o

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Bolt_Strike

CaviarMeths wrote:

We know that at the very least, Metroid is in planning stages as of Miyamoto's comments last year. My suspicion is that it's actually been in active development since at least that time. Seeing Samus again in 2016 isn't farfetched at all.

Yeah, probably either 2016 or 2017. I doubt they'll skip this gen, they've expressed interest in making a Metroid game sometime this gen.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haru17

faint wrote:

Not in terms of the recent 3D games. Ocarina (1998), Majora's Mask (2000), Wind Waker (2003), Twilight Princess (2006), Skyward Sword (2011), and then Zelda U (2016+). It will have been 5+ years since Skyward Sword's release when Zelda U comes out. Meanwhile Metroid was last spotted in 2010 and there is precisely no way a new Metroid releases before 2016, 6 years since the last game.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

iKhan wrote:

I still haven't come close to mastering the controls of 2D Mario games. I mean, I know what button does what sure, but the complexity of actually using the controls properly is pretty high. You have to tip toe around the game to avoid accidentally grabbing another player when you are just trying to run or pull off an attack, you need to perfect your "knuckle dexterity" so that you can hold onto Y while pressing B when necessary, or vice versa (and IMO, that's really uncomfortable).

You could boil some of this down to maybe me being pretty damn good at 2D platformers. They are by far my favourite genre of game and I have been playing then in one form or another since I was 4. So maybe it's generational or something to do with what genres we're all native to. I'd be willing to concede on that point.....

.... but even then. My niece is now about as old as I was when I was first playing games like Halo and GTA. If you asked both of us what games "defined" us as gamers I'd answer Donkey Kong Land and she'd probably say Minecraft. However when I handed her the controller after booting up Super Meat Boy, a game that quite literally has Mario Controls. She had never played it, didn't know the controls, I told her nothing. I even have kinda a weird setup with the controller because it's a Pro Controller pretending to be a 360 controller. So the buttons are swapped. You could tell she wasn't used to 2D platformers because she refused to use the D-Pad... but even then she learnt the controls quickly, beat the first world and didn't want to play anything else.

So I call BS on this theory of yours that "Mario Controls" are too complex. It certainly ranks up there among the more ridiculous things I've heard on this site. Almost as ridiculous as "you can't apply natural selection to businesses", "PC games are complicated to install" and any of the numerous "Plasma TV is the only way" rants. Almost. It's up there.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I never said Mario should have controls like GTA. I said at least GTA understands the concept of "one function at a time". Mario 64 understands that, so does Zelda. 2D Mario games assign 3 functions to one button SIMULTANEOUSLY. That's the problem

Well then give people with little gaming experience a 2D Mario game and a game like GTA and report back with the result. I guarantee you the 2D Mario people will get a hold of the controls quicker. I remember when I was a kid only taking a few seconds to master the controls of Mario. I still press the wrong button to do things like open car doors when I play a new game like GTA. There's no debate.

I still haven't come close to mastering the controls of 2D Mario games. I mean, I know what button does what sure, but the complexity of actually using the controls properly is pretty high. You have to tip toe around the game to avoid accidentally grabbing another player when you are just trying to run or pull off an attack, you need to perfect your "knuckle dexterity" so that you can hold onto Y while pressing B when necessary, or vice versa (and IMO, that's really uncomfortable).

See, you keep saying that, but I've never actually had a problem with this. I Learned those controls when I was four and never once had trouble with them. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm no gaming prodigy. I get treated like a stationary target in FPSs, turned into Mr. Sandbag in most fighting games, and can only speed run by warching others do it, first. I'm doomed, if I ever try a strategy game and even in my best genre, there are still plenty of people that make me look like I picked up a plastic guitar for the first time, yesterday. So if the controls are so unintuitive, how did 4-year-old me pick them up so fast and never once have any trouble with them?

I'm more speaking in a modern context. I don't know how old you are, but I believe that part of what is "intuitive" is relative to the time you are in. In the NES era, there wasn't really a better way to do platforming controls. Shoulder buttons and analog sticks didn't exist, so if you needed more than 2 functions on a controller, one button would need to double. I believe that this is a standard that can be grown accustomed to.

But fast forward to a 3D-era, where 2D Mario games are one of the few games on the market that still use that control scheme, and you're damn right it won't be as intuitive. Speaking personally, I'm very used to one function at a time controls, so Mario 64 comes to me naturally, while NSMB can get frustrating. Think about it, the Gamecube controller is absolutely terrible for 2D Mario Platformers, but that wasn't an accident. Nintendo was designing for modern control schemes, where, outside of Fighters, you almost never press two face buttons simultaneously.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

@iKhan
The controls in 2D Mario games and Mario 64 are the same other than the added complexity of 3D movement and camera controls. I don't think you've even played New SMB at this point. Either that or you're stuck in this thought and have actually forgotten how they control.

iKhan

skywake wrote:

@iKhan
The controls in 2D Mario games and Mario 64 are the same other than the added complexity of 3D movement and camera controls. I don't think you've even played New SMB at this point. Either that or you're stuck in this thought and have actually forgotten how they control.

No actually, the controls are very different. The mappings may appear similar at first glance but the functions are changed. In Mario 64, each function is carefully designed so that there is only one active function of a button at a particular time and you never have to hold two face buttons at once. B is either your attack button or your grab button, but never both. Instead of forcing the player to hold B to hold an item, it's much more intelligently changed to a "pick up/drop" function. Running is controlled by the analog stick, so that never gets in the way of anything.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

iKhan wrote:

No actually, the controls are very different. The mappings may appear similar at first glance but the functions are changed. In Mario 64, each function is carefully designed so that there is only one active function of a button at a particular time and you never have to hold two face buttons at once. B is either your attack button or your grab button, but never both. Instead of forcing the player to hold B to hold an item, it's much more intelligently changed to a "pick up/drop" function. Running is controlled by the analog stick, so that never gets in the way of anything.

TBH the grabbing function in Mario 64 always annoyed the hell out of me. Mostly because of the 3D nature of it. You had to be in the perfect position and then punch. Which they changed in Galaxy so it was mapped to spin (i.e. the waggle) and the item gravitated towards you. Which is the same as it is in New SMB but also mapped to R. So yeah, I call BS on this idea that the controls are drastically different.

Anyways, basically your main gripe has to do with the singular fact that 2D platformers are controlled with the D-Pad. Which means there has to be a run button due to the non-analogue nature of it. Presumably you'd rather 2D platformers being controlled less precisely purely so you have to worry about one less button. Which is an interesting thought given you're also arguing for more buttons to be used. Even more interesting given my earlier example of GTA5 has you not just holding A to run but hammering it.

So in a nutshell you think Mario should become "less complicated" by removing the "complicated controls" which involve holding Y while tapping R to grab an item. You want it more in-line with the "simple" controls in modern games like GTA5. A game that'll have you hammering A to run before hitting ZL and then ZR to shoot. Before hitting Y to jump in the car and pressing ZR to accelerate while holding L to aim and R to shoot. If only Mario games were that simple......

Edited on by skywake

iKhan

I never said GTA was a hallmark of simple controls. It's absolutely a complicated scheme to learn.

What your describing in terms of NSMB controls doesn't sound familiar at all. If I remember correctly, the NSMB series controls are mostly the same as the controls in Mario 3D World. In 3D world, it's just like SMB 3 where B is jump and Y is simultaneously run, grab, and attack. That is the scheme I take issue with. Running and grabbing are very different functions. Depending on the Powerup, Attack and grab can be similar or different. When all these are mapped to the same button in the same context and all available simultaneously, it creates problems like accidentally grabbing someone or something while running, or burning a shell you may have been planning to grab.

Yes, analog run would be great IMO, but a run button would be fine if it alone was assigned to a trigger.

A grab system like Galaxy would be fine too, but requiring me to hold Y to keep hold of the item is uncomfortable and pointless. I hate the discomfort and I'm not a fan of being forced into a run. If that's supposed to be a game mechanic, it should be built into the game, not the controls.

Octane

CaviarMeths wrote:

faint wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

We have? o_o

Super Mario 64 - 1996
Super Mario Sunshine - 2002

Make it 6 years for Mario.

Octane

skywake

iKhan wrote:

What your describing in terms of NSMB controls doesn't sound familiar at all. If I remember correctly, the NSMB series controls are mostly the same as the controls in Mario 3D World. In 3D world, it's just like SMB 3 where B is jump and Y is simultaneously run, grab, and attack. That is the scheme I take issue with.

Sorry, I was mixed up about what the controls were because they're so damn natural that I don't ever think about them. Galaxy had the shake to grab/spin. New SMB Wii copied that. New SMB U has the shake to spin which is mapped to R but grab is Y. Where it should be.

TBH you are the first person I've ever heard who has an issue with these controls. The same controls which are in just about every other 2D platformer on any platform. As I said on the other page Super Meat Boy has those controls, Donkey Kong has these controls, everything has these controls. These are standard and proven controls. It's insane that you think they're "too complicated".

WebHead

Can you guys...discuss this somewhere else?

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

CaviarMeths

Octane wrote:

Super Mario 64 - 1996

Wonder how many people there were in 2001 saying that Mario was dead and Super Mario 64 killed the whole franchise.

Grumblevolcano

CaviarMeths wrote:

faint wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

We have? o_o

Yes, given that A Link Between Worlds isn't being considered then you also shouldn't count Link's Awakening hence the largest gap is 7 years from ALttP (1991) to OoT (1998) unless you count the CDi games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Octane wrote:

Super Mario 64 - 1996

Wonder how many people there were in 2001 saying that Mario was dead and Super Mario 64 killed the whole franchise.

Metroid sure isn't Mario and Other M sure as heck wasn't Super Mario 64. No false-equivalencies allowed.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

GTWarrior77

Quite excited for this year's E3.
With Zelda being delayed, Nintendo needs to appease disappointed fans.
We will probably see:
Metroid announced for Wii U or 3DS or both.
Animal Crossing Wii U: Since they already designed a lot of the characters for Animal Crossing Plaza, it's only a matter of time. Actually I'm quite excited about the idea of AC on the Wii U.
Star Fox is a given. Excited about this one also.
The 3DS needs some solid game releases for the next year or 2.
Battle Mode for Mario Kart 8.
I smell a Gamecube remake of some sort.
Hopefully Nintendo will have tons of surprises for us at this E3.

Edited on by GTWarrior77

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

DjSSBB

The only thing I'd like to see/read about is an actual sequel to Madworld. No Anarchy Reigns style spin-off.

Sonic Heroes for WII U VC!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.