Forums

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Posts 161 to 180 of 327

Cyberbotv2

The arguments here are foolish. The PS3 and Xbox are going to be fairly attractive this winter. The hardcore will pick up the new consoles but it's the same games on the old and next gen. That's why I didn't buy a WiiU to start. I didn't see anything that differentiated the system. Recently, I realized I have a girlfriend and off tv play would probably benefit us all. Also I saw that the gamepads being utilized justifying me purchasing a few weeks ago. Look, no ones going to be winning the console war this winter other than the 3DS, so get on board and enjoy the games.

Cyberbotv2

shingi_70

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Have to say despite this and being $500 the Xbox One is looking to be the console to beat on games alone.

I found the Xbox One launch list to be pretty meh personally. Nothing there that would make me happy about spending $500+. I probably will have a similar attitude toward the PS4's launch lineup too. I'm just over the brown depressing apocalyptic settings frequently featured in the games of today.

Xenoblade ripoff
Untitled
Wind Waker clone
Untitled
Old Nintendo fighter that failed against Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken & Virtua Fighter
Untitled
W101 copy
Untitled
Wii Sports/Wave Race 64
Untitled

The same tired and boring games I can play right now on .

How can the first game be a X ripoff when its a game ina series that not only predates xenoblade but what X and Xenoblad looked to inspiration from.

A wind waker clone that plays nothing like it and has more in common with ico or Journy.

A beat em up in the same vein as Crash looks like W101 how.

Yet the reboot is looking pormising and the fighting game community are gushing over it,

Isn't that like saying pikmin 3 is a warcraft clone with a dash of Whimisy.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

brooks83

DePapier wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

DePapier wrote:

WebHead wrote:

Hmm...maybe it will, maybe it won't if it doesn't this year it probably will next year. To those saying GTA V won't effect TW101 because it's on different platforms...do you mean to tell me not one single Wii U owner also has a PS3 and/or 360? lol.

When you have the disposable income to buy a Wii U in its doom period while owning a PS3, surely you expect and can afford both. Does that answer your concern?

Yes but here's the thing: GTA V will get easily fives times whatever marketing TW101 gets. I can almost promise you the Wii U owners that have a PS3 or 360 will buy GTA V before they buy TW101. I'm not a GTA fan, but I tell it how I see it.

We've had this discussion before on these forums and you'd be amazed at how many of us are actually going for The Wonderful 101 instead.

On a Nintendo themed forum? Who would have thought?

Listen, brooks, we're here talking about people who own both the Wii U & a PS360 and they are prefering the Wii U game. Tell me what friend of yours that have a PS360 and is eager to buy GTA V:
1. even owns a Wii U
2. even knows what The Wonderful 101 is.
I'll be waiting.

I really don't have that many gamer friends, and I have no idea whether they know about or want the Wonderful 101. And I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at. Are you saying people on this forum are picking Wonderful 101 over GTAV, or people in general?

brooks83

skywake

uptownsoul wrote:

Well actually I was referring to the games. And the clearest, most tangible statistical evidence of enthusiasm for an already released console is the preorders for upcoming GAMES on said console. Hence, the aforementioned chart of US preorders sans any wii u titles.

Not entirely. You need to look at the whole picture.

Last year CoD:BO2 on 350 was the best selling game in the US of the year selling 6.1mill units. Six weeks before launch, the same time before launch as the last VGChartz pre-order chart for GTA, it had 1.2mill pre-orders. Scrolling down the list and you get to New SMB 2 which was the 10th best selling game of 2012 with 1.6mill units. Not too shabby all things considered but an entirely different audience. It wasn't on the pre-order charts 'till 3 weeks before launch even with little holiday blockbusters to compete for placings with. At that point it only had 38k pre-orders.

And you're trying to argue that the W101 is failing to get any hype within its target audience because of GTA? Is anyone talking about how poorly Paper Mario on the 3DS sold because it launched in the same week as CoD:BO2? Or do we recognise that they are designed for entirely different audiences?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

I think some the Xbox One games are looking pretty good, but I don't think any of these games will really draw anyone away from one or the other. I already have a Wii U, and at this point, I would say Xbox One is as close as people are going to the impossible expectations everyone seems to have these days, at least in regards to Nintendo.

If you look at all the games available, every single one of them is the same ol', same ol' with new visuals and some extra/more gameplay. That's fine, but all the consoles are doing it. The only games that are really new are the IPs like Ryse.
Knack is new, but I don't see anything I can't get anywhere else with that game.

I really don't see why people have doubted the Wii U so much. The way things currently are is not how the entire 8th gen will play out, and with all the criticism the Wii U has gotten for the past 2 years with alot of it being for no reason, expectations are through the roof for other consoles, and I haven't seen much of anything so far that proves that 2 years of complaints were justified.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Phatosaurus

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Have to say despite this and being $500 the Xbox One is looking to be the console to beat on games alone.

I found the Xbox One launch list to be pretty meh personally. Nothing there that would make me happy about spending $500+. I probably will have a similar attitude toward the PS4's launch lineup too. I'm just over the brown depressing apocalyptic settings frequently featured in the games of today.

Xenoblade ripoff
Untitled
Wind Waker clone
Untitled
Old Nintendo fighter that failed against Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken & Virtua Fighter
Untitled
W101 copy
Untitled
Wii Sports/Wave Race 64
Untitled

The same tired and boring games I can play right now on .

Nailed it.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

SCRAPPER392

Honestly, I think what Microsoft has done with Killer Instinct looks better than Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, but that's besides the point that it's mainly just combining a ton of game elements that alot of people have already thought of and/or couldn't do because of hardware limitations in the past.

I consider Tekken and Virtua Fighter to be in a different category. There hasn't even been a new VF in so long, that I'd bet any new iteration Sega put out would be better in comparison to everything else as well.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Mahe

This is pretty much the make or break season for Wii U, and there's no telling which way it will go. The games are finally arriving, like DKC Tropical Freeze, Wii Party U and Shovel Knight, but the Wii U is still priced too high. The Wii U's game selection this fall will obviously be better than PS4 and Xbox One, but the console really needs a price cut to get more people playing those games.

Bundling games like New Super Mario Bros. U or including a Wiimote in the console package would help to improve the value. A Wii U console package with New SMB U and Wii controllers (Wiimote & Nunchuk) could prove to be a hit in this holiday season, and it would spur additional sales for many of the new game releases. Unfortunately, Nintendo hasn't given any indication of a bundle like this, so they're pretty much leaving the Wii U on its own and possibly limiting the potential userbase of Wii U's upcoming games.

Mahe

SCRAPPER392

Mahe wrote:

This is pretty much the make or break season for Wii U, and there's no telling which way it will go. The games are finally arriving, like DKC Tropical Freeze, Wii Party U and Shovel Knight, but the Wii U is still priced too high. The Wii U's game selection this fall will obviously be better than PS4 and Xbox One, but the console really needs a price cut to get more people playing those games.

Bundling games like New Super Mario Bros. U or including a Wiimote in the console package would help to improve the value. A Wii U console package with New SMB U and Wii controllers (Wiimote & Nunchuk) could prove to be a hit in this holiday season, and it would spur additional sales for many of the new game releases. Unfortunately, Nintendo hasn't given any indication of a bundle like this, so they're pretty much leaving the Wii U on its own and possibly limiting the potential userbase of Wii U's upcoming games.

There's a likely rumor that Wind Waker HD will be included, but it's still a rumor never the less...
As for other bundles, I think they're a good idea, but the Wii U is LITERALLY still worth what's selling for in material and technological research alone. I only see more generous bundles happening in 2014 fall/holiday.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Mahe

SCAR392 wrote:

There's a likely rumor that Wind Waker HD will be included, but it's still a rumor never the less...

Wind Waker HD isn't the bundled game the Wii U needs. If they don't make any other bundles, it's going to be a mistake. Having something like 3 new bundles with different games could be useful.

SCAR392 wrote:

As for other bundles, I think they're a good idea, but the Wii U is LITERALLY still worth what's selling for in material and technological research alone. I only see more generous bundles happening in 2014 fall/holiday.

Wii U was priced wrong right from launch, and the price is going to stick out even more the longer Nintendo drags it out without a price cut or retooling the console packages. They made a mistake with the price and with the "Basic" set, now they need to fix it, or keep hurting the Wii U's sales.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

dumedum

Wii U is priced just fine. With the games out (17 upcoming Nintendo published games), it will be great.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Mahe

dumedum wrote:

Wii U is priced just fine. With the games out (17 upcoming Nintendo published games), it will be great.

You do know that Wii U has been selling worse than even Gamecube back in its time, right?

Mahe

GTWarrior77

There will definitely be an increase in sales this holiday season because of the first paty game releases. More so, there will be a steady increase of sales throughout 2014 (as long as there is a steady flow of quality software). Rome was not build in a day.

I base this prediction on what happened with the 3DS. Look at the terrible start the 3DS had and look at where it's now. Also, didn't Nintendo acknowledge its marketing blunders regarding the WiiU? Which tells me they are working to rectify that.

I think the WiiU is going to be just fine.

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

dumedum

Mahe wrote:

dumedum wrote:

You do know that Wii U has been selling worse than even Gamecube back in its time, right?

You do know that Nintendo admitted it was late in releasing games and the upcoming Wii U exclusive list includes:

Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
Pokemon Rumble U
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Super Mario 3D World
DKCR: TF
Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic Olympics 2014
X
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 8

And Nintendo still made a profit even though the only Wii U game released in the entire quarter was Wario, right?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/annual1303e.pdf

Mahe

dumedum wrote:

And Nintendo still made a profit even though the only Wii U game released in the entire quarter was Wario, right?

The small profit was made on the back of the improving 3DS and currency exchange rates. In that quarter, Wii U also had Nintendo-published games like Lego City and the New Luigi U DLC for New SMB U, the kickoff of the Wii U Virtual Console and third-party releases like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Resident Evil Revelations, and Wii U sales were still historically low for a major home console in its early phases.

The upcoming lineup is more promising, no question about it, but bundles, different console packages or price reductions could still help those games get to more people. There is a risk that even those games won't sell as well as they could because the console is seen as too expensive. The Wii U's price could hurt the sales of those upcoming games.

Mahe

dumedum

Mahe wrote:

dumedum wrote:

The small profit was made on the back of the improving 3DS and currency exchange rates. In that quarter, Wii U also had Nintendo-published games like Lego City and the New Luigi U DLC for New SMB U, the kickoff of the Wii U Virtual Console and third-party releases like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Resident Evil Revelations, and Wii U sales were still historically low for a major home console in its early phases.

At the same token that profit was because of currency exchange rates, the loss Nintendo suffered before was also because of the same exchange rate. It is part of the business.
No, Lego City Undercover came in the previous quarter - March. According to Nintendo, the only game released was Wario. The only one. It doesn't count VC or DLC game for good reason it seems. Monster Hunter Tri also came in March. There were literally no games in the quarter compared to a huge number in the next quarters. Games are the difference. Nintendo also sold very well in the very beginning (pre orders and such) when launch games were available but there was quiet after the launch, except for a couple of March releases indeed. The big guns will change the picture.

Edited on by dumedum

shingi_70

WaveBoy wrote:

Nintendo probably would lower the price if it weren't for the expensive Wii U game pad which costs probably twice as much as a dualshock 4.

Which is a big problem when the market has at worse Apathy about the control scheme.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

MAB

Sony_70 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Nintendo probably would lower the price if it weren't for the expensive Wii U game pad which costs probably twice as much as a dualshock 4.

Which is a big problem when the market has at worse Apathy about the control scheme.

Full body waggle kinect still is the most hated control in the history of gaming
Untitled

MAB

DePapier

dumedum wrote:

Mahe wrote:

dumedum wrote:

At the same token that profit was because of currency exchange rates, the loss Nintendo suffered before was also because of the same exchange rate. It is part of the business.
No, Lego City Undercover came in the previous quarter - March. According to Nintendo, the only game released was Wario. The only one. It doesn't count VC or DLC game for good reason it seems. Monster Hunter Tri also came in March. There were literally no games in the quarter compared to a huge number in the next quarters. Games are the difference. Nintendo also sold very well in the very beginning (pre orders and such) when launch games were available but there was quiet after the launch, except for a couple of March releases indeed. The big guns will change the picture.

I just want to add that the only first-party game released in that period, Game & Wario, launched end of June 2013, which was the very end of Q2.

Edited on by DePapier

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.