Wii U Forum

Topic: Will Wii U take off this winter season?

Showing 161 to 180 of 384

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

161. Posted:

Wow I didn't think the GTA V-W101 would get this big.  But I do think Nintendo is crazy to release W101 the same week as GTA V in the US.  All of the anecdotal arguments of which one of you few, few people will get 101 over GTA aside, the numbers are rather definitive.  As of Aug 3, 2013 the W101 had 2,804 preorders (Link 1).  Now that may have grown since then but I doubt it'll get to 64,000 by launch.  64,000 is the preorders that pikmin 3 had in the US just before launch (link2), and the jury's still out on how much impact the game will have on console sales.  W101 won't even reach that tangible level of enthusiasm, thus probably a lesser impact.  IMO, I think the W101 would fare better were it to drop same time as Europe, in Aug.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251211/usa-preorders-chart-3-...

Link 1 — is in the 3rd paragraph after the 3 line graphs

Link 2 — #16 on the top 40 US charts

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

162. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I hope reggie takes it off this winter season.
Ah who am i kidding, he's too busy trembling in fear over the new upcoming(Insert 'stale & boring') competition.....
Untitled

The dynamic duo could possibly rid the gaming industry of the evil dodgy used car salesman bros ;)

Untitled
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DePapier

163. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

Wow I didn't think the GTA V-W101 would get this big.  But I do think Nintendo is crazy to release W101 the same week as GTA V in the US.  All of the anecdotal arguments of which one of you few, few people will get 101 over GTA aside, the numbers are rather definitive.  As of Aug 3, 2013 the W101 had 2,804 preorders (Link 1).  Now that may have grown since then but I doubt it'll get to 64,000 by launch.  64,000 is the preorders that pikmin 3 had in the US just before launch (link2), and the jury's still out on how much impact the game will have on console sales.  W101 won't even reach that tangible level of enthusiasm, thus probably a lesser impact.  IMO, I think the W101 would fare better were it to drop same time as Europe, in Aug.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251211/usa-preorders-chart-3-...

Link 1 — is in the 3rd paragraph after the 3 line graphs

Link 2 — #16 on the top 40 US charts

Sigh... I'll just leave the argument there, I'm getting tired of it. See you September 15th.

Edited on by DePapier

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Luther
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Therlu

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/15/f-zero-wii-u-lets-dream-it/
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/07/01/opinion-a-suggestion-for-a-wii-u-pricing-restructure/

3DS Friend Code: 4468-2063-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: Luther

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

164. Posted:

In fact the most current charts show no preorders for 1st party wii U games, or 3rd party either. Now preorders aren't the end all-be all. But preorders are the clearest, most tangible way to see enthusiasm for an up coming game. Where is the enthusiasm for any future wii U title?  Show me a wiiU preorder in the top 40.  There is no tangible, statistical evidence of ANY enthusiasm for the future of the Wii U, AT ALL.

vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DePapier

165. Posted:

uptownsoul wrote:

In fact the most current charts show no preorders for 1st party wii U games, or 3rd party either. Now preorders aren't the end all-be all. But preorders are the clearest, most tangible way to see enthusiasm for an up coming game. Where is the enthusiasm for any future wii U title?  Show me a wiiU preorder in the top 40.  There is no tangible, statistical evidence of ANY enthusiasm for the future of the Wii U, AT ALL.

vgchartz.com/preorders/41497/USA/

OK. You tell how you pre-order a platform that's already on shelves.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Luther
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Therlu

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/15/f-zero-wii-u-lets-dream-it/
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/07/01/opinion-a-suggestion-for-a-wii-u-pricing-restructure/

3DS Friend Code: 4468-2063-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: Luther

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

166. Posted:

Well actually I was referring to the games. And the clearest, most tangible statistical evidence of enthusiasm for an already released console is the preorders for upcoming GAMES on said console. Hence, the aforementioned chart of US preorders sans any wii u titles.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HeatBombastic

167. Posted:

It'll probably at least get a million sales. With all the games coming out for it, you know?

Although I'm not sure how much it can take off with the PS4 and Xbox One coming out this year.

NNID: HeatBombastic

Haaaave fun.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

168. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

I hope it takes off but I think it would stand a better chance with Mario Kart this year

I'd like to believe the developers had enough pride to not have a horribly rushed Mario Kart AGAIN, And besides, the rest of the year is fine as is for the system and they need a big title for early next year so it doesn't lose momentum.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

169. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

I hope it takes off but I think it would stand a better chance with Mario Kart this year

I'd like to believe the developers had enough pride to not have a horribly rushed Mario Kart AGAIN, And besides, the rest of the year is fine as is for the system and they need a big title for early next year so it doesn't lose momentum.

I'm glad its getting time to be polished. I wonder what else Nintendo has for early next year besides Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

170. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

I hope it takes off but I think it would stand a better chance with Mario Kart this year

I'd like to believe the developers had enough pride to not have a horribly rushed Mario Kart AGAIN, And besides, the rest of the year is fine as is for the system and they need a big title for early next year so it doesn't lose momentum.

I'm glad its getting time to be polished. I wonder what else Nintendo has for early next year besides Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2.

I'd bet on another HD remake or two. If I had to take a guess, probably Mario Sunshine.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

171. Posted:

That makes sense. I;m guessing Steel Diver and whatever Miyamoto was working on as well.

Really wish Nintendo would have decided to go to Gamescom this year.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

172. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Have to say despite this and being $500 the Xbox One is looking to be the console to beat on games alone.

I found the Xbox One launch list to be pretty meh personally. Nothing there that would make me happy about spending $500+. I probably will have a similar attitude toward the PS4's launch lineup too. I'm just over the brown depressing apocalyptic settings frequently featured in the games of today.

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamer83

173. Posted:

I've got the PS4 pre-ordered and I've always loved Nintendo's first party games and know the selling power they have, and there's no doubt the Wii U sales will pick up this holiday. That out of the way, I've got to admit, Xbox One is the system to beat. Yes, it's $500 and MS' initial plans were complete garbage but looking just strictly at games the X1's day-one library is fantastic. It crushes what the U had and I'm not sure Sony can match it as far as quantity. I'll wait until the end of Gamescom before saying I made a major mistake but MS is off to a great start and no matter what the other two have coming out this fall, I expect at least in North America, Xbox One will easily be the next-gen sales leader.

Gamer83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dreamsleep

174. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

I've got the PS4 pre-ordered and I've always loved Nintendo's first party games and know the selling power they have, and there's no doubt the Wii U sales will pick up this holiday. That out of the way, I've got to admit, Xbox One is the system to beat. Yes, it's $500 and MS' initial plans were complete garbage but looking just strictly at games the X1's day-one library is fantastic. It crushes what the U had and I'm not sure Sony can match it as far as quantity. I'll wait until the end of Gamescom before saying I made a major mistake but MS is off to a great start and no matter what the other two have coming out this fall, I expect at least in North America, Xbox One will easily be the next-gen sales leader.

You are out of your mind. PS4 pre-orders are almost 3 to 1 in every territory. And, Sony just announced that they have 1 million pre-orders. This means, at best, the XBone is at 333,000 pre-orders worldwide. Europe is Sony territory (console comparison of Sony to Microsoft, excluding Nintendo). Japan is dominated by Sony (again, this is a comparison of Sony to Microsoft in the console war only)...Microsoft barely exists here. The US has been Microsoft's bread and butter, but with their initial botched launch, and backpedaling, it has damaged the brand.

No one knows how things will go, but if Sony cant match Microsoft this gen, after the horrific launch they had with the PS3, how do you think the PS4 will fare? Saying that Microsoft is the system to beat doesn't even make sense.

And, as for quantity, Sony has more first party developers, and titles in development. It's no different now, than it was in the 360/PS3 era. As for quality, that is subjective. But, I am a fan of Sony's games.

I will have to say, though, that Fable Legends does look interesting. Titanfall, too, to a lesser extent...but that's not a first party game, and it's a timed exclusive. The really interesting thing is the fractured FPS community, and the further dispersion of it's gamers. Where will they go, and to what game? I know a lot of people who used to game exclusively on the 360, who were turned off by the initial reveal of the XBone. Now, what game are they going to go to, though? COD: Ghosts, Titanfall, Destiny, Killzone: Shadowfall, The Division, or Battlefield 4? Really interesting times, there.

All that being said, Nintendo has a tough road ahead of them, even with the Wind Waker HD bundle, at $350. I'm considering getting a PS4, before I get a WiiU, and I hardly ever get systems at launch, or even close to launch. The last one I did, I believe, was the Dreamcast, lol.

Edited on by Dreamsleep

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DS

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

175. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

I've got the PS4 pre-ordered and I've always loved Nintendo's first party games and know the selling power they have, and there's no doubt the Wii U sales will pick up this holiday. That out of the way, I've got to admit, Xbox One is the system to beat. Yes, it's $500 and MS' initial plans were complete garbage but looking just strictly at games the X1's day-one library is fantastic. It crushes what the U had and I'm not sure Sony can match it as far as quantity. I'll wait until the end of Gamescom before saying I made a major mistake but MS is off to a great start and no matter what the other two have coming out this fall, I expect at least in North America, Xbox One will easily be the next-gen sales leader.

lolno

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

176. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Have to say despite this and being $500 the Xbox One is looking to be the console to beat on games alone.

I found the Xbox One launch list to be pretty meh personally. Nothing there that would make me happy about spending $500+. I probably will have a similar attitude toward the PS4's launch lineup too. I'm just over the brown depressing apocalyptic settings frequently featured in the games of today.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Brown shooters indeed.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

177. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

I've got the PS4 pre-ordered and I've always loved Nintendo's first party games and know the selling power they have, and there's no doubt the Wii U sales will pick up this holiday. That out of the way, I've got to admit, Xbox One is the system to beat. Yes, it's $500 and MS' initial plans were complete garbage but looking just strictly at games the X1's day-one library is fantastic. It crushes what the U had and I'm not sure Sony can match it as far as quantity. I'll wait until the end of Gamescom before saying I made a major mistake but MS is off to a great start and no matter what the other two have coming out this fall, I expect at least in North America, Xbox One will easily be the next-gen sales leader.

lolno

I personally think that Nintendo's the worst of the three game line ups overall, I don't think the Xbone will win the day. Nintendo has the advantge of having stuff now while the stuff people want the most on PS4/Xbox One are next year.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

178. Posted:

@Sony_70: $500+ to play those or games with worlds set in brown depressing apocalyptic settings? No thank you.

Edited on by Ryno

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

179. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@Sony_70: $500+ to play those or games with worlds set in brown depressing apocalyptic settings? No thank you.

Of the launch titles on Xbox One, there doesn't seem to be much brown... I can somewhat see your sentiment when it comes to Ryse, COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and maybe Dead Rising 3 (which still seems to have lots of silliness if the servbot heads are any indication), but the rest of the lineup seems pretty colorful and varied. So not even one fifth of the launch lineup you seem to have problems with. If you are solely looking at the color pallete in some of the parts of the game.

I could see a person having problems with how there aren't many launch games you can't play on 360 and PS3 too, or the sports and dance games, but not when it comes to brown, apocolyptic games. Especially since the only apocolyptic game on launch for the Xbox One is Dead Rising 3.

Have you actually seen the launch lineup, @Ryno? It doesn't sound like it if that's your reasoning for discounting it.

As for the topic at hand, I really doubt Nintendo will sell the Wii U in the numbers they want. Which is 12 million total units by March. Which leaves them with more than 8 million left to sell to meet their goal. I hope they meet it, though. I want this system to be successful.
We all seem to have a different idea of what it means to take off.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

faint

180. Posted:

I think it's already starting (a very slow start). It feels like the Wii U launched with Pikmin and everything else was in a pre-launch period. Well in terms of first Party games. By the way the North America numbers for Pikmin's first week just came out. It's number one at about 115,000. Not bad for Pikmin in one region. :)

friend code: 0103-9004-2456