Wii U Forum

Topic: Will Nintendo Always Be Playing Catch-Up to Other Companies?

Showing 21 to 40 of 145

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

21. Posted:

Also you guys realize that power didn't have to do with the wii not getting ports. It played apart but the main reason was the wii's
articheture couldn't run the engines. To have a game run you would need to remake the engine's from starch. For example The Wii had to run a custom wii only version of the MT framework which is why it only got one of the capcom fighting games. Nintendo realized that with the 3DS hardware and made it based around the 360/PS3. How do you think it got ports of such as Resident Evil and Street Fighter that used the same assets of the HD games.

The resident Evil team even got The console version of RE5 running on the 3DS only using only a bit of the power.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Late

22. Posted:

I don't care about graphics. Nintendo takes my money with awesome games.
I've never thought about getting PS3 or XBOX360 as they just don't have enough games for me. PS2 has Kingdom Hearts series which I'd get and also few good Final Fantasy games but I can play Final Fantasy on my Nintendo consoles and there's also few Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo handhelds although KH1 and KH2 may be a little better (than DS KHs, I still like CoM more). Then there's XBOX360 which doesn't have any games I'd get instantly. I just think it's a really boring console.
I've played many games on every three console so I'm not judging without trying them. This is just my opinion.

And now I can say that all this text doesn't actually belong here after reading the topic again xD

3DS FC: 3566-1647-7196
My Backloggery
My Pullblox puzzles
Be kind and feed my Pokémon :)

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1647-7196

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

23. Posted:

Why does everyone think Nintendo Needs to live up to what Sony and Microsoft are doing?
So what if the games don't have High Res graphics? Big freakin deal if Nintendo doesn't use voice acting?
That's their style. They are in the business of making fun and entertaining videogames.
The best possible technology is not required to have fun with their games.
I still break out the Nes now and again and the fun factor hasn't changed one bit.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mizore

24. Posted:

@Shingi: Well the environments in the first two games seemed very realistic...and this was on the Gamecube. So, I'm assuming they'll stick with the same style for the third game. Realistic environments...and, um...weird characters? xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

25. Posted:

@Eureka

Untitled

Untitled

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TWK

26. Posted:

Makes no sense... Nintendo did extremely well with the Wii in terms of hardware sales. Furthermore... what happened after Wii was announced... Sony and Microsoft "copied" (nothing wrong with that) Nintendo's motion controls. Nintendo is all about innovation and hold their cards completely different than both Sony and Microsoft do. So, all-in-all, I really can't see in what sense Nintendo is playing catch-up when they have completely different goals.

Edited on by TWK

TWK

3DS Friend Code: 3351-4040-6226 | Nintendo Network ID: TobiasWK

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

27. Posted:

Tobiaswk wrote:

Makes no sense... Nintendo did extremely well with the Wii in terms of hardware sales. Furthermore... what happened after Wii was announced... Sony and Microsoft "copied" (nothing wrong with that) Nintendo's motion controls. Nintendo is all about innovation and hold their cards completely different than both Sony and Microsoft do. So, all-in-all, I really can't see in what sense Nintendo is playing catch-up if they have completely different goals.

Again You can't use the Wii's success to justify why the Wii U will do good. Nintendo themselves made that mistake with the 3DS expecting it to sell gangbusters out the gate.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

28. Posted:

Nintendo is like that "weird" kid in class, or what most consider weird. They do their own thing and don't follow where other companies do. And people mostly make fun of them "weird" people. Because they are different.

Sony and Microsoft, in my eyes, aren't leaders. They play tag most of the time. Nintendo, on the other hand, lead. They were the ones pushing motion controls on their systems. They are the ones that incoporated 2 screens in their handheld- being least powerful than PSP, which was the most successful competitor to Nintendo in the handheld realm- props. But see who won in sales? DS.

Power isn't everything. I always said that Wii was the next generation. Maybe not next-gen graphics, but in the way we play games.

WiiU might just be the same. Sure, it'd be the weakest of the other 2, but I doubt the gap wi,, be an ocean of a difference like Wii and PS3 in power.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

29. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

Nintendo is like that "weird" kid in class, or what most consider weird. They do their own thing and don't follow where other companies do. And people mostly make fun of them "weird" people. Because they are different.

Sony and Microsoft, in my eyes, aren't leaders. They play tag most of the time. Nintendo, on the other hand, lead.

Your metaphor needs work. Nobody follows the weird kid everyone makes fun of.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

30. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

Nintendo is like that "weird" kid in class, or what most consider weird. They do their own thing and don't follow where other companies do. And people mostly make fun of them "weird" people. Because they are different.

Sony and Microsoft, in my eyes, aren't leaders. They play tag most of the time. Nintendo, on the other hand, lead. They were the ones pushing motion controls on their systems. They are the ones that incoporated 2 screens in their handheld- being least powerful than PSP, which was the most successful competitor to Nintendo in the handheld realm- props. But see who won in sales? DS.

Power isn't everything. I always said that Wii was the next generation. Maybe not next-gen graphics, but in the way we play games.

WiiU might just be the same. Sure, it'd be the weakest of the other 2, but I doubt the gap wi,, be an ocean of a difference like Wii and PS3 in power.

While I agree with your points about nintendo I disagree with a few.

First while the DS did have the touch screen that was innovative that's not what made it a sucess. Look at DS sales up until the DS lite. They were horrible. What made DS great was the software book that came with a consumer friendly hardware shift. It beat the PSP because it was priced less and in the early days developing a psp was as expensive as a PS2 game.

2ndly saying that Mircosoft and Sony aren't leaders are ridiculous. Sony was able to Win a format War with Blu-ray, Not only that but the PS2 was the wii of its generation powerwise. Sony was able to capatlize on having a DVD player to spur sales.

For better or worse Xbox Live is the most influential concept we had this Generation.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

31. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

2ndly saying that Mircosoft and Sony aren't leaders are ridiculous. Sony was able to Win a format War with Blu-ray,

Blu-ray is actually not Sony's format

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

32. Posted:

I'm not saying the DS was sold because of two screens. I'm saying the DS was enitrely new and it was a new way to play games.

And when I say leaders, I'm refering to the way we play games. As in, Nintendo did it's own thing and Sony and MS just played it safe. Not a bad thing, but just my opinion. Xbox Live is good... I guess. I mean, Microsoft did push online gaming, something Sega tried doing with their Dreamcast. I'll give 'em that.

@the_fox

I never said anyone follows "the weird kid". And really, people have different opinions on what they consider "weird". People said I'm weird because I keep to myself, yet most these people wanted to work with me because I have the highest grade in class.

Maybe that's a better example.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

33. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

I'm not saying the DS was sold because of two screens. I'm saying the DS was enitrely new and it was a new way to play games.

And when I say leaders, I'm refering to the way we play games. As in, Nintendo did it's own thing and Sony and MS just played it safe. Not a bad thing, but just my opinion. Xbox Live is good... I guess. I mean, Microsoft did push online gaming, something Sega tried doing with their Dreamcast. I'll give 'em that.

@the_fox

I never said anyone follows "the weird kid". And really, people have different opinions on what they consider "weird". People said I'm weird because I keep to myself, yet most these people wanted to work with me because I have the highest grade in class.

Maybe that's a better example.

I guess......I would Give mircosoft credit for Online gaming on console,Downloading games on consoles, and turning the console into a media hub. I mean without XBLA a lot of studios would have shut down.

Also xbox Live indie games is something no one else is doing.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

34. Posted:

nope its the other way around IMHO

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

35. Posted:

Darkrai wrote:

nope its the other way around IMHO

whats the other way around?

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

36. Posted:

Darkrai wrote:

nope its the other way around IMHO

whats the other way around?

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

37. Posted:

Technology-wise, Nintendo is at a good spot. No one knows whether Microsoft or Sony are going to push their console tech further next gen. They might sit back and play it safe in order to not lose any more money on R&D costs.

Nintendo is pushing graphics next gen because many developers want that "HD" experience that the other consoles provide. And Nintendo knows that they have to AT LEAST match the PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to get the best developer support. (my how times have changed)

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

38. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

(my how times have changed)

Really? You think 10 years ago if the GameCube had better resolution 64 bit graphics, publishers like Capcom and Konami would make games for it? Especially when the PS2 and Xbox have much better hardware than the N64? Because that's where your getting at.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

39. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Technology-wise, Nintendo is at a good spot. No one knows whether Microsoft or Sony are going to push their console tech further next gen. They might sit back and play it safe in order to not lose any more money on R&D costs.

Nintendo is pushing graphics next gen because many developers want that "HD" experience that the other consoles provide. And Nintendo knows that they have to AT LEAST match the PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to get the best developer support. (my how times have changed)

SOny can't afford another big PS3 style power upgrade. Mircosoft can but won't to keep prices in the $300-$4400 range.

All I know I can't wait to E3.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kagamine

40. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

2ndly saying that Mircosoft and Sony aren't leaders are ridiculous. Sony was able to Win a format War with Blu-ray,

Blu-ray is actually not Sony's format

actually sony does own a portion of blu-ray

3DS friend code: 1332-7705-6324Previous Usernames: Bossmank
Some_Chords

"Love your ego, you won't feel a thing, always number one, the pen with a bent wrist crooked king, sign away our peace, for your war, one word and it's over." ~ Deadmau5

Nintendo Network ID: bossmank