Wii U Forum

Topic: Will Nintendo Always Be Playing Catch-Up to Other Companies?

Showing 1 to 20 of 145

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link245

1. Posted:

Hey guys, I was reading an article in GameInformer about the next-generation of consoles, and an industry analysis said that the Wii U won't be next-generation, it will just be catching up to the current standards. That got me thinking. Nintendo consoles have something creative other consoles don't, but they were somewhat behind during the Wii era, without HD or as much online. I'm afraid the Wii U will only be as powerful as Xbox 360/PS3 and then the rival consoles will be even better and beat it. The thing is, before the Wii Nintendo's consoles were pretty much as powerful as rival's consoles. (I actually think GameCube was more powerful then PS2) What do you guys think?

Also, I'm worried about how 3DS will do when Vita comes out. I guess it will all come down to HD vs, 3D.

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Arkham City, MW3, Gears 3, UMV3, Battlefield 3
PS3: inFAMOUS 2, LBP 2. Rachet & Clank: All 4 One, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3
Xperia Play: Crash Bandicoot
iOS: Sonic CD, Infinity Blade, Arkham City Lockdown, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger

My Gaming Blog at GameInformer

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

2. Posted:

Those "analysts" are just blowing smoke. Each company has their own strategy and no one is playing "catch up" to the others. Nintendo sure as heck wasn't catching up to anyone this past gen when they made the most hardware sales.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Squid

3. Posted:

Yeah, I read that article. It's a bunch of BS and the guy can't predict what will happen, because I'm sure not many people predicted the success of the Wii. Pretty much what Iz20XX said.

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

4. Posted:

You do realize that technically "next Generation" stands for the next set of consoles and doesn't mean power level.

@Izz20XX
Pretty Much this.

I mean Look at how much money mircosoft made from live and XBLA.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameLord08

5. Posted:

I've never known any company playing "catch-up" to any others, especially not Nintendo. These "analysts" could just be overweight hobos living on state pension for all we know.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

6. Posted:

Nintendo is a games company only, while Sony and Microsoft are mainly electronics and computer companies, respectively, so it's only natural that Nintendo is always behind when it comes to graphical horsepower.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

7. Posted:

Wii U is going to be the weakest console in its generation....so Nintendo is always playing "catch-up" despite that they're always doing something different. All they care about is power, graphics...you know, that stuff. :/
Wii U NEEDS a Blu-Ray player, Ultra HD, a normal controller, M-Rated games, and whatever else the PS3 does, I dunno...don't own one. xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

8. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

Wii U is going to be the weakest console in its generation....so Nintendo is always playing "catch-up" despite that they're always doing something different. All they care about is power, graphics...you know, that stuff. :/
Wii U NEEDS a Blu-Ray player, Ultra HD, a normal controller, M-Rated games, and whatever else the PS3 does, I dunno...don't own one. xD

What's Ultra HD?

Also we still don't know how big sony and mircosoft will jump in power. All the rumors of the new xbox relate it too be abit more powerful than what we know of the wii U.

Sony can't make another PS3 Level power jump. They're in too bad of a financial shape.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Burning_Spear

9. Posted:

Ummm ... Sony and Microsoft added motion controls to their consoles three years after Nintendo invented the technology. Who is playing catchup? Nintendo is far more innovative than the other two companies. If someone's idea of progress is simply making consoles more powerful, than yes, Nintendo will always be behind.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

10. Posted:

I don't think its really out yet...but yeah...Ultra HD...better than regular HD. I dunno how to explain it. Saw some of the TVs being displayed at Best Buy though, it was awesome, lol.
But yeah, heard about rumors about the next XBox having Avatar-like graphics. Sooo...I dunno.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

11. Posted:

Burning_Spear wrote:

Ummm ... Sony and Microsoft added motion controls to their consoles three years after Nintendo invented the technology. Who is playing catchup? Nintendo is far more innovative than the other two companies. If someone's idea of progress is simply making consoles more powerful, than yes, Nintendo will always be behind.

Depends on what you consider innovative. The Wiimote was very Innovative but so was kinect. The Move is highly derrative.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CrazyOtto

12. Posted:

I think the Wii U will still be weaker than the PS4 and 720, but the Wii U will be the "PS2" of the 8th generation.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

13. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

I don't think its really out yet...but yeah...Ultra HD...better than regular HD. I dunno how to explain it. Saw some of the TVs being displayed at Best Buy though, it was awesome, lol.
But yeah, heard about rumors about the next XBox having Avatar-like graphics. Sooo...I dunno.

Your talking about screen type like pentile or amoled right? Ultra HD would be a screen resolution. Tv's are currently capped at 1080p I think.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

14. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

Eureka wrote:

I don't think its really out yet...but yeah...Ultra HD...better than regular HD. I dunno how to explain it. Saw some of the TVs being displayed at Best Buy though, it was awesome, lol.
But yeah, heard about rumors about the next XBox having Avatar-like graphics. Sooo...I dunno.

Your talking about screen type like pentile or amoled right? Ultra HD would be a screen resolution. Tv's are currently capped at 1080p I think.

No its resolution, believe me I saw it. Remember someone posting a thread about it in the general discussion board too...And like I said I don't think they're really out yet, just being showcased.

Edited on by Xiao_Pai

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

15. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Eureka wrote:

I don't think its really out yet...but yeah...Ultra HD...better than regular HD. I dunno how to explain it. Saw some of the TVs being displayed at Best Buy though, it was awesome, lol.
But yeah, heard about rumors about the next XBox having Avatar-like graphics. Sooo...I dunno.

Your talking about screen type like pentile or amoled right? Ultra HD would be a screen resolution. Tv's are currently capped at 1080p I think.

No its resolution, believe me I saw it. Remember someone posting a thread about it in the general discussion board too...And like I said I don't think they're really out yet, just being showcased.

Going to look it up. Honestly Graphics power doesn't matter at the first part of the next gen. Go back and look at the 360 launch games with the exception of a few they look pretty close to the cube/xbox/ps2 era. The only thing I want from the Wii U is 1080p at 60fps.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bro2dragons

16. Posted:

Well, it has been said that the Wii U is 50% more powerful than PS360. So it's surpassing, not catching up. When their successors come out... perhaps they'll have higher specs than that. But for now, it IS the next generation.

As for 3DS/Vita... it won't come down to HD vs. 3D. It'll come down to software. Nothing more. That's always the case. Specs have never determined the superior machine. Even the Wii would have been considered the "hardcore" device if the software was swapped, despite having a lower technical aspect. The sales and respect winner of the two handhelds will be based on the games made for each.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29
We, like Job, are destitute save for the love of Jesus.
Find me on Facebook, just be sure to tell me you're from NL!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

17. Posted:

I just wanna see Pikmin 3 with PS3 graphics already, lol.
Seriously, the game is gonna look REALISTIC...ish.

EDIT:Trying to look for it too...its very old apparently, lol
Never mind, found it. (forgot about the search bar, lol)
http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/have_yo...

Edited on by Xiao_Pai

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

18. Posted:

Like bro2dragons said I've heard the Wii U is 50% more powerful than 360/ps3. If Nintendo can't stay up to date with graphical power this gen I'm afraid they never will. It doesn't matter though as long as they keep making great games.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

19. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

I just wanna see Pikmin 3 with PS3 graphics already, lol.
Seriously, the game is gonna look REALISTIC...ish.

EDIT:Trying to look for it too...its very old apparently, lol
Never mind, found it. (forgot about the search bar, lol)
http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/have_yo...

Well it depends on the artsyle they use.

Untitled

That looks better than anything I've seen on the 360 and PS3 and Uncharted and Gears 3 looks amazing. Its also running real time using the Twilight engine.

Couln't find any pictures of the chase mii and battle mii games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link245

20. Posted:

I agree that Nintendo is more innovative. They do something very creative that no other system does, like 2 screens on the DS, motion controls on Wii, etc. By playing catch-up I mean that they don't have things people expect/want in a modern console, like better online or HD. I'm afraid they'll be catching up to the current generation and then Microsoft and Sony will pull something big and they'll be behind again.

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Arkham City, MW3, Gears 3, UMV3, Battlefield 3
PS3: inFAMOUS 2, LBP 2. Rachet & Clank: All 4 One, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3
Xperia Play: Crash Bandicoot
iOS: Sonic CD, Infinity Blade, Arkham City Lockdown, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger

My Gaming Blog at GameInformer