Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 521 to 540 of 582

DefHalan

When did they confirm Star Fox Zero is a re-imaging and not a pre-quel or something else?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

Can't remember if it was Miyamoto or someone else, but they did confirm that it's more of a re-imagining than a sequel or prequel. And the gameplay they've shown so far supports that.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@rallydefault: I don't think you know what condescension is. I'm actually bothering to point out mistakes you've made and correct you on statements that weren't entirely fair or correct. Just because you take it as condescending doesn't make it actually condescending. If I WERE being condescending, I'd likely shrug your entire argument off as being pathetic or silly. Since I'm not doing that, you can at least understand that I'm giving you the time of day to pick apart and analyze your comments. Speaking of which!

Yoshi, as I pointed out, is a rehash, sure, in the same sense that Doom is a rehash. So what if the base gameplay hasn't changed extremely? It hasn't had a proper entry in long enough to not care.

Star Fox Zero is not a rehash, unless you're gonna start calling every hack-n-slash a rehash of God of War, Bayonetta, or Devil May Cry. The game play has clearly changed immensely. New vehicles, new abilities, new nearly everything. One level being similar to an old level does NOT make the entire game a rehash. And notice that I say "similar?" Because it's not a copy-paste job. There are clear and noticeable differences between this game and the first two. On top of that, I don't recall being able to turn my Arwing into a walking bird or to make my landmaster turn into a floating tank. I also don't recall the Zero-Wing being anywhere in any Star Fox game to date. It's fine if you want to try and say that the game is nothing new, but have the guts to admit that there's new stuff when it's pointed out and even confirmed by game play.

And if you're gonna call Mario Maker a rehash, you may as well call Little Big Planet a rehash of Super Mario Bros while you're at it. The focus of SMM is level design. Not Platforming. It's not even remotely the same game.

Also, I'm not sure we read the same book, because as I recall, the Reverend got hanged for being a witch at the end. That or my memory is really bad and we're not talking about the same character. Anyways, your analogy is bad, regardless. You're talking about a story to which the moral is "innocent until proven guilty" and trying to use it to justify "guilty until proven innocent." You can call them rehashes all you want, but they're not rehashes, for the most part. You know what IS a rehash? Every New SMB since the one on the Wii. Know what else is a rehash? Every Guitar Hero barring the first and fourth games in the series. And while we're at it, every single Assassin's Creed in the second branch and all of the spin-offs. Know what's not a rehash? RPG Maker. Just because those graphics and assets had been previously used doesn't make it a rehash. As I said, just because you CALL is a rehash doesn't MAKE it one.

So what are these, if not rehashes? Yoshi could be called a rehash, but SFZ is a reimagining. Bringing new ideas to an old story. And Super Mario Maker is none of the above. If anything, you could call it a feature that might've been at home in a previous Mario game, but it's getting it's own game. See, the word "rehash" has a specific meaning that most of these games don't fit in. The reason you're seeing opposition isn't because of blind fanboying or weak defense. It's because you're blatantly wrong. It's not a matter of opinion. It's something that can be easily disproven and you're simply choosing to ignore the presented facts.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@Operative: If you're talking about the story, it's a shameless rehash, sure! If you're talking about the game, itself, then no. That doesn't really fit that well. In this particular case, a "rehash" would be the same game wearing a new coat of paint. So yeah, same story, different game. It's only a rehash if you're talking exclusively about the story.

Also, I do believe Miyamoto confirmed it either in the Digital Event or at the Treehouse immediately after. Either way, it's not a secret. Just, if you're gonna call this a rehash, be aware that it's only in terms of story.

TuVictus

It's too early to judge. If the transformations make up a large part of the game then I'll agree it's not. But if they're minor and the rest of the game is on rails with some sections being free roaming like the older games, then I'd be inclined to call it a rehash/re-imagining. Not that I care, I'm sure it'll be fun either way.

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

Operative wrote:

Well, "re-imagining" is pretty much the same definition of "rehash". One just sounds nicer for PR purposes while the other sounds more derogatory. Either way, they're both "to present (something) again in a slightly different form". I'd say that fits Star Fox pretty accurately, honestly. From what we've seen, at least

I'm not sure I'd call them the same thing. I mean, even rehashes don't recreate older levels in the same way that Star Fox Zero does, the gameplay is recycled but the levels are not.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

How is this even half of a valid whine anymore in 2015? We just got Splatoon, a game where Kirby is made of clay and a game where Yoshi runs around in Yarn. We got a Mario Kart last year that was a pretty huge leap for Mario Kart to the point where it's almost not recognisably Mario Kart. We're getting Mario Maker which is basically Nintendo's answer to Little Big Planet but without the wonky physics of Little Big Planet. And this is ignoring entirely the Wii era where they basically invented motion control gaming. Is this not fresh enough?

Or would we rather the other games. Talk about how fresh they are. Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed with London hats, CoD 2015, Mirror's Edge, Hitman, Doom. As a PC gamer I'm looking at the list of upcoming titles and am pretty excited about Star Wars Battlefront. I'll probably get Arkham Knight eventually but I could probably get away with just playing Arkham City again. Most of the rest it's the same sort of deal.

So you can't tell me that Nintendo is "rehashing" games and that everyone else is being wholly original. Because most of the original games recently, outside of indies, have actually been from Nintendo.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TylerTheCreator

@skywake: I think you're being biased. I also don't agree with what you said about Mario Kart 8. I think when most people see a Mario character on a race track in a go-kart, people know it's Mario Kart.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

martinskrtel37

this is a strange argument because it has no set topic. it has made me curious - is donkey kong country tropical freeze a rehash or merely a sequel? i haven't played tropical freeze. obviously donkey kong country returns is NOT a rehash - anyone who seriously doesn't understand why this is a revolution in that series needs to go back to the basics and actually play all these games and personally feel why these games are different, go back to the SNES donkey kong then the wii version. a rehash is when you throw the same mechanics into a slapped-together new world. nintendo don't do that very often. they always shake the gameplay mechanics up but keep things visually similar and with the same familiar faces - this is to distract the morons! let them go on about how "every mario karts the same" and just shake your head because you've actually played every single one of them and KNOW how damn different they all are, i mean there's a good reason you're better at certain games in franchises than others, even if on the surface they "all look the same"..... "never judge a book by its cover" can go pretty deep!

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

UGXwolf

No, you're definitely right about that, @martinskrtel37 . There's no mistaking one Mario Kart for another from a game play perspective. If your stats are a combination of two characters and a kart, it's Double Dash. If you can use the walls and ceiling to your advantage, it's 8. If you can fly and go underwater, it's either 7 or 8, though 7 is portable, so there's really no screwing that up. If you're using bikes, it's Wii or 8, but Wii seems more likely, as they were OP in that game. If the are stats, online, and a mission mode, it's DS. Not to mention DS introduced Retro tracks. If you don't have stats, it's one of the first three, but you can figure out which one rather easily: A) Is it using sprites in mode 7 or polygons? (If polygons, 64.) B) When you move left and right, does it feel like you're made of butter? (If yes, then Super Circuit.) (If no to both, it's SMK. Bonus points if Rainbow Road makes your ears bleed. :V <--- this face means I'm joking.)

But yeah, in all seriousness, Nintendo usually does something to shake it up. @Operative called into question how big of a role the transformations will play in the game, but in truth, that's up to the player. You can make the transformations as prominent as you want them to be, with the exception of some areas that won't allow them, I'm sure. Also, I kinda wanna point out That All-Range mode in the Arwing and in the Walker are two very different experiences owing entirely to the simple fact that you can stand still in the Walker. You CAN'T stand still in the Arwing.

kyuubikid213

@UGXwolf: I thought Mario Kart Super Circuit introduced Retro tracks...? Weren't you able to play the SNES tracks in there?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

UGXwolf

@kyuubikid213: As I recall, that was a copy-paste job. Then again, come to think of it, I don't think they actually started revamping tracks until 7, anyways.

skywake

TylerTheCreator wrote:

@skywake: I think you're being biased. I also don't agree with what you said about Mario Kart 8. I think when most people see a Mario character on a race track in a go-kart, people know it's Mario Kart.

And people knew Assassin's Creed: Black Flag was an Assassin's Creed because it had Assassin's Creed on the box. But then you spend most of the game avoiding the Assassin's Creed minigame inside of a much, much better game about Pirates. Which made it very much not just a rehash. Mario Kart 8 is not the same as Mario Kart Wii and the only thing that makes it the same is the fact that it's Mario in a go-kart. It is not the "another Mario Kart" people were expecting when they thought about what Nintendo would do with the franchise.

And games that push it that far? Kinda rare in general. The biggest games of this year are not all brand new ideas. Mario Kart 8 is easily on the more creative end of the spectrum in that regard. Splatoon is an example of coming up with something entirely original. You don't see that often. As I said as a PC gamer the most original game coming up I can think of is Star Wars Battlefront..... and that's Battlefield 4 with a Star Wars skin

kyuubikid213 wrote:

@UGXwolf: I thought Mario Kart Super Circuit introduced Retro tracks...? Weren't you able to play the SNES tracks in there?

The GBA era was full of games that were just showing off the fact that the GBA could do SNES games. Even a lot of the new games were games that if you didn't know better and someone told you were on the SNES you'd believe them. Super Circuit was easily the least original Mario Kart but mostly because the only hook of that game was that it was a portable Mario Kart. Which was enough at the time.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

How is this even half of a valid whine anymore in 2015? We just got Splatoon, a game where Kirby is made of clay and a game where Yoshi runs around in Yarn.

Except Kirby and the Rainbow Curse doesn't have any unique mechanics that take advantage of Kirby's clay form, gameplay wise it's entirely a rehash of Canvas Curse. As for Yoshi, I'm not sure you could technically call it a rehash, but it still doesn't do anything new because it's just a mashup of Yoshi and Kirby's Epic Yarn. The yarn mechanics don't do anything remarkably different from Epic Yarn.

skywake wrote:

We're getting Mario Maker which is basically Nintendo's answer to Little Big Planet but without the wonky physics of Little Big Planet.

It retains the same mechanics of every 2D game. The only difference is that it gives you more freedom on how to use them.

skywake wrote:

And this is ignoring entirely the Wii era where they basically invented motion control gaming. Is this not fresh enough?

I was fine with the Wii's lineup because they actually had some innovative games in addition to the rehashes. Wii U hasn't.

martinskrtel37 wrote:

this is a strange argument because it has no set topic. it has made me curious - is donkey kong country tropical freeze a rehash or merely a sequel? i haven't played tropical freeze. obviously donkey kong country returns is NOT a rehash - anyone who seriously doesn't understand why this is a revolution in that series needs to go back to the basics and actually play all these games and personally feel why these games are different, go back to the SNES donkey kong then the wii version. a rehash is when you throw the same mechanics into a slapped-together new world. nintendo don't do that very often. they always shake the gameplay mechanics up but keep things visually similar and with the same familiar faces - this is to distract the morons! let them go on about how "every mario karts the same" and just shake your head because you've actually played every single one of them and KNOW how damn different they all are, i mean there's a good reason you're better at certain games in franchises than others, even if on the surface they "all look the same"..... "never judge a book by its cover" can go pretty deep!

I've played the Classics and DKCR and I can say that DKCR isn't a significant step forward in terms of gameplay. They stripped things down a lot and made a lot of questionable gameplay decisions, such as making Diddy a glorified hover ability, removing swimming, and limiting the Animal Buddies to just Rambi. The only thing they really added to the game was the ability to cling to grass. They feel different because they have different physics, not because DKCR is a huge innovation for the series.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kyuubikid213

Over the past couple days, I've learned that literally everything is a rehash.

Seriously though, I'm sick of seeing this word, now.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Bolt_Strike

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Over the past couple days, I've learned that literally everything is a rehash.

Seriously though, I'm sick of seeing this word, now.

If you're looking for games that aren't, the Mario collectathons and the Metroid Prime trilogy are good examples. The first games in the series established an entirely new gameplay style and then the sequels added big, game changing twists to the core gameplay. That's the problem, many of the games this generation are lacking in those types of twists.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

SCRAPPER392

There's not really any point in calling anything a rehash, because otherwise that is all we would call anything. If Starfox Zero is a rehash, then so is:
CoD series
Gears of War series
Uncharted series
Skylanders series
etc.

...and I would consider those to be more rehash-y, honestly. So ya, I'm guessing calling games like that a rehash isn't really criticism, yes? That's basically just calling every series a rehash, and that kind of misses the point, especially when there is different stuff going on, like GamePad stuff or improvements in general, which applies to other games as well.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

MsJubilee

@rallydefault: Are you a troll my good man?

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

-Green-

@Bolt_Strike: I find the main reason for lack of innovation lately is probably because of the poor condition of the gaming market at the moment. All companies seem to be frightened to try new things and innovate as they fear failure, and that's due to the consumers at the moment who are incredibly picky, demanding and in a way judgmental. So they stick to the old classics and continuously reuse past mechanics and ideas, because they know that those are successful and run a lesser risk of failure. All that together is why things are so plain at the moment for all the gaming companies, and it's really shown this gaming generation.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

TuVictus

SCAR392 wrote:

There's not really any point in calling anything a rehash, because otherwise that is all we would call anything. If Starfox Zero is a rehash, then so is:
CoD series
Gears of War series
Uncharted series
Skylanders series
etc.

...and I would consider those to be more rehash-y, honestly. So ya, I'm guessing calling games like that a rehash isn't really criticism, yes? That's basically just calling every series a rehash, and that kind of misses the point, especially when there is different stuff going on, like GamePad stuff or improvements in general, which applies to other games as well.

I would call them that. Rehash isn't necessarily bad. I'm tired of this mindset that every game sequel has to have some brand new innovation. Why can't we just get more of what we loved, with minor improvements? Though after a while it's pretty much required to avoid having the franchise get dull. See: The New Super Mario series. Now THAT needed some big gameplay change. I guess Mario Maker is a good way to start.

TuVictus

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.