Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 501 to 520 of 582

UGXwolf

@NightmareEater: Spoken like someone who doesn't own one! :V

No, but being entirely serious, no. It's way too soon at this point in time for Nintendo to unplug the life support. The Wii U NEEDS to last until 2017. It's not a simple case of "oh, it's not making a massive profit, so Nintendo should just move on." It doesn't work that way. R&D costs a lot of money. Money the Wii U has yet to pay forward. Money the Wii U only just paid off for its own self, not counting software titles that hopefully, for the most part, have managed to pay themselves off.

On top of that, Nintendo would have to be completely nuts to risk burning their loyal fanbase. A lot of people seem to take for granted the loyal fans. Their trust not only CAN be broken, but has been broken in the past. SEGA saw first hand how past success does not guarantee future success and how a series of poor business decisions and rushed schedules can not only wreak havoc on sales, but completely demolish any guaranteed sales you might have had before. The transition from the SEGA Saturn to the SEGA Dreamcast should serve as a bright red warning light to all modern developers and publishers. If Nintendo rushes this at all, it's not gonna be pretty.

Trust me when I say this. I've gone back and done the research. Nintendo isn't where SEGA was before they tapped out, but that doesn't mean they can make the same mistakes and walk away better for it. Finish supporting the Wii U. Give the owners the full console cycle they deserve. THEN get the new system out there before the drought becomes apparent again.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

skywake

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Bayonetta isn't particularly a family friendly title either. Although I personally see no appeal in the game, It would be blind of me to say it's not good when I never tried it.. however I don't see kids saying "Let's buy a wii u so I can play this mature game". It's a fun game for veterans who are mature, but nintendo's target audience, Children, are mostly just being pushed away.

It's not a kids game, most of the gaming market isn't catering to kids in general. I don't think that should count against it. Also I'd argue that the most confronting thing in Bayonetta 2 is the violence. And usually what's happening is so absurd that it's not really that bad. If we were talking about a game like Bioshock Infinite, GTA5 or even the yearly CoD or Assasin's Creed on a Nintendo console? Nobody would blink an eye..... and I'd argue those games are on par and arguably orders of magnitude more confronting.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Sean_Aaron

rallydefault wrote:

@kyuubikid213: "Counter Argument: There aren't any titles that justify buying either the PS4 or One...$400 and $350 consoles."

Answer:

Just to name a few other exclusives off-hand: Bloodborne, Killer Instinct, Master Chief Collection (trust me: this is a reason for MANY people to buy an Xbox One), Little Big Planet, Infamous, Killzone, Ryse (I'm telling you - this is going to be an awesome franchise in the future)...do you need more? I would even hazard to include some of the remasters like The Last of Us. Personally, I never owned a PS3, but man, I always wanted to play Last of Us after hearing about it from everyone. Well, the PS4 remaster gave me that chance. Same thing with God of War 3 and the Uncharted Collection coming up this Fall.

There are PLENTY of reasons right now to own Xbox One or PS4.

I can't see how that meaningfully counters kyuubikid213. I mean I know what those games are and I don't care. Hell most of them are remakes or sequels that do little different from the games that came before - a common accusation against Nintendo.

There seems to be this running theme in this thread that Nintendo is selling a load of shameless rehashes, yet no one talks about the fact that the biggest reveal at Sony's E3 presentation was arguably a remake of a game from the original Playstation. I skipped the PS2 because it just seemed like more of the same from the PSONE days, why the hell would I buy a vastly more expensive machine for a far smaller selection of sequels and remakes than on the previous box?

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Grumblevolcano

Sean_Aaron wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@kyuubikid213: "Counter Argument: There aren't any titles that justify buying either the PS4 or One...$400 and $350 consoles."

Answer:

Just to name a few other exclusives off-hand: Bloodborne, Killer Instinct, Master Chief Collection (trust me: this is a reason for MANY people to buy an Xbox One), Little Big Planet, Infamous, Killzone, Ryse (I'm telling you - this is going to be an awesome franchise in the future)...do you need more? I would even hazard to include some of the remasters like The Last of Us. Personally, I never owned a PS3, but man, I always wanted to play Last of Us after hearing about it from everyone. Well, the PS4 remaster gave me that chance. Same thing with God of War 3 and the Uncharted Collection coming up this Fall.

There are PLENTY of reasons right now to own Xbox One or PS4.

I can't see how that meaningfully counters kyuubikid213. I mean I know what those games are and I don't care. Hell most of them are remakes or sequels that do little different from the games that came before - a common accusation against Nintendo.

There seems to be this running theme in this thread that Nintendo is selling a load of shameless rehashes, yet no one talks about the fact that the biggest reveal at Sony's E3 presentation was arguably a remake of a game from the original Playstation. I skipped the PS2 because it just seemed like more of the same from the PSONE days, why the hell would I buy a vastly more expensive machine for a far smaller selection of sequels and remakes than on the previous box?

I disagree, the biggest reveal at Sony's E3 presentation was a sequel to 2 of the most beloved Dreamcast games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@Sean_Aaron: By that logic you could argue that the vast majority of the Wii U library are rehashes.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sean_Aaron

Yes and my point is that people who have PSONE machines aren't in any position to make that criticism.

rallydefault

@Sean_Aaron: You've gotta be kidding me.

You're on a forum for a company whose biggest upcoming games are Star Fox, Mario Maker, and Yoshi...ALL rehashes in existing franchises, and you're going to TRY (not very well, I might add) to knock the PS4 for having a few upcoming games that are in some of their existing franchises? Did I get that right?

Uncharted 4, Shenmue, yea, those are games coming up in preexisting franchises. But you seem to forget things like oh, I don't know, LAST GUARDIAN, the game that people have been going crazy over for years now. You honestly don't consider THAT one of Sony's biggest upcoming games? And what about Horizon, a totally new IP? Or are we conveniently forgetting about that, too, and how freakin' awesome it looked? Hrm?

So, yea... I'm just going to pretend this: "I can't see how that meaningfully counters kyuubikid213. I mean I know what those games are and I don't care. Hell most of them are remakes or sequels that do little different from the games that came before - a common accusation against Nintendo" was written during a moment of utter confusion, and that you didn't actually mean it. Because it is completely baseless and laughable. I respected your comments up until this point - this shows how unwilling some of you guys are to ACTUALLY LOOK at the other side of things.

rallydefault

Sean_Aaron

Okay you've named a couple of games, bravo - those games even have release dates yet? If so I'm thinking "sometime 2016," so a few degrees better than vapourware. Nintendo has already released a couple of new IPs and more are coming. Smell what you're shovelling, buddy.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

UGXwolf

@rallydefault: "Star Fox, Mario Maker, Yoshi... all rehashes..."

Uhhh... you DO know what a rehash is, right? If you'd listed New Super Mario Bros U or New Super Luigi U, I'd be inclined to agree with you. If you'd listed Mario Kart, I'd've seen your point, but disagreed. If you'd just listed Yoshi, I'd likely roll my eyes, and say "yeah, but Yoshi hasn't had a proper title since the N64, anyways." Star Fox and Mario Maker are definitely NOT rehashes. The main draw of Mario Maker is user-generated content. That's not something Mario or even really Nintendo has ever really played around with until this generation. (Not counting Mario Paint.) And Star Fox is a REIMAGINING. Not a rehash. Means it's a new game that tells an old story. Emphasis on NEW GAME. It appears to borrow a fair bit from Star Fox and Star Fox 64, but it's also pretty obvious that it's got new stuff, too. That is NOT a rehash.

Now let's analyze your list up there, hmm?

The Last Guardian - This game is the sole definition of hype. Hype and absolutely no substance. The only reason anyone cares is because it's team ICO. Yes, the game LOOKS pretty, but similar to Journey, I don't have to PLAY it to appreciate how it LOOKS. YouTubing this one in 2020 when it finally launches.
Horizon Zero - Again, this game looks good, but unlike the previous one, I'm actually going to have to play this to have a fair opinion of it. Again, probably picking this up in 2018 when it finally launches.
That's it... Two games? No mention of Shenmue or FFVII or KH3... Oh right! Those aren't exclusive, huh? I already have a machine that'll play two of these and I'm picking the other one up by the end of the year that'll play the other. Don't get me wrong, here. Nintendo didn't have a particularly hype presentation. I've said time and time again that it was a solid 5. Nothing special, but certainly not bad. I'm just sick of hearing how "amazing" Sony is then going to look at the library, seeing little of actual interest and returning to my Splatoon match.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

-Green-

UGXwolf wrote:

@rallydefault: "Star Fox, Mario Maker, Yoshi... all rehashes..."

Uhhh... you DO know what a rehash is, right? If you'd listed New Super Mario Bros U or New Super Luigi U, I'd be inclined to agree with you. If you'd listed Mario Kart, I'd've seen your point, but disagreed. If you'd just listed Yoshi, I'd likely roll my eyes, and say "yeah, but Yoshi hasn't had a proper title since the N64, anyways." Star Fox and Mario Maker are definitely NOT rehashes. The main draw of Mario Maker is user-generated content. That's not something Mario or even really Nintendo has ever really played around with until this generation. (Not counting Mario Paint.) And Star Fox is a REIMAGINING. Not a rehash. Means it's a new game that tells an old story. Emphasis on NEW GAME. It appears to borrow a fair bit from Star Fox and Star Fox 64, but it's also pretty obvious that it's got new stuff, too. That is NOT a rehash.

Now let's analyze your list up there, hmm?

The Last Guardian - This game is the sole definition of hype. Hype and absolutely no substance. The only reason anyone cares is because it's team ICO. Yes, the game LOOKS pretty, but similar to Journey, I don't have to PLAY it to appreciate how it LOOKS. YouTubing this one in 2020 when it finally launches.
Horizon Zero - Again, this game looks good, but unlike the previous one, I'm actually going to have to play this to have a fair opinion of it. Again, probably picking this up in 2018 when it finally launches.
That's it... Two games? No mention of Shenmue or FFVII or KH3... Oh right! Those aren't exclusive, huh? I already have a machine that'll play two of these and I'm picking the other one up by the end of the year that'll play the other. Don't get me wrong, here. Nintendo didn't have a particularly hype presentation. I've said time and time again that it was a solid 5. Nothing special, but certainly not bad. I'm just sick of hearing how "amazing" Sony is then going to look at the library, seeing little of actual interest and returning to my Splatoon match.

To be honest, I'm a bit spiteful towards The Last Guardian. I loved the two games before it (Shadow of the Colossus being one of my favorite games ever), but I was very disappointed when they continued to delay The Last Guardian. I was thrilled when they announced it at E3, but it really worried me when they never said exactly when it was coming out. I'm a tiny bit spiteful towards them for making us wait for so long for us to even hear about, but now I'm disappointed because they showed it off but never confirmed its release date. It makes me worry that they may just delay it again.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

rallydefault

@Aromaiden: Yea, I have heard a bit of that. See, I never got to play Shadow or Ico (was it just called Ico, right?), so I'm just kind of watching the footage and keeping my expecations in check. I actually think what they showed at E3 didn't look particularly spectacular, but it certainly looks imaginative, and as always, I'll have to wait for the final product, however long that may be.

Oh, and you again, @UGXwolf. Those games are rehashes.
Also, control your language and speak to people like an adult, please (if you aren't one, try to pretend). You sound extremely condescending. Always. And that's a problem. I won't respond to you if you can't type sentences that aren't needlessly derogatory. I had to say something similar to you about this behavior in a different thread. If I were a mod, I would put you on warning.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

NintendoFan64

@rallydefault Okay...please explain how those are rehashes...I'm curious.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

rallydefault

Yoshi? It's a hop and bop Yoshi game, much in the same vein as Yoshi's Island.

Star Fox? It's...uh...Star Fox and Star Fox 64. Very similar to them, at least. First stage looked almost the same as 64.

Mario Maker?2D Mario game. Mario levels, design your own Mario levels, sure, but...yea...2D Mario. Nothing's much changed. You've done it all before, but now you get to do it in crazier combinations and layouts.

Also? I'll be buying every single one of them. Because I enjoy them. But they are all rehashes of existing games. If you wish to nitpick, then go ahead, fine by me, but I won't be participating much. This is getting exhausting lol

Kind of reminds me of Hale in Arthur Miller's The Crucible. People are being hanged for witches and everyone in the village has every sort of rationalization as to WHY they are witches, and HOW it's totally possible to be a witch - but, as the audience, we know it's all silly. And all of the characters know, deep down, that it's all silly. Anyway, finally, near the end, Reverend Hale just walks up to the "head judge"-type character and just says, "It's a lie. They're innocent." That's it. That's all. No explanation needed. That's kind of how I view this situation lol you guys are going to come up with every which way from Wednesday as to why these games aren't rehashes, but it's just so exhausting and I can't waste all this time participating anymore. They are rehashes, plain and simple, but it doesn't make them bad. Anyway, knock yourselves out. I'll be retiring to the NX threads lol

rallydefault

veeflames

Just so you know, the definition of 'rehash,' according to Merriam-Webster,

to present (something) again in a slightly different form

Try applying this definition to Mario Maker, Woolly World, and Star Fox.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

shaneoh

rallydefault wrote:

Kind of reminds me of Hale in Arthur Miller's The Crucible. People are being hanged for witches and everyone in the village has every sort of rationalization as to WHY they are witches, and HOW it's totally possible to be a witch - but, as the audience, we know it's all silly. And all of the characters know, deep down, that it's all silly. Anyway, finally, near the end, Reverend Hale just walks up to the "head judge"-type character and just says, "It's a lie. They're innocent." That's it. That's all. No explanation needed. That's kind of how I view this situation lol you guys are going to come up with every which way from Wednesday as to why these games aren't rehashes, but it's just so exhausting and I can't waste all this time participating anymore. They are rehashes, plain and simple, but it doesn't make them bad. Anyway, knock yourselves out. I'll be retiring to the NX threads lol

Yer Honour, despite the bloody knife with the defendant's fingerprints, the signed confession, and the video of the defendant committing the crime, this man is completely innocent.

Please, continue telling us how the English dictionary is wrong.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

kyuubikid213

It's funny how he told someone off for being condescending...

This guy...

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

NintendoFan64

rallydefault wrote:

Yoshi? It's a hop and bop Yoshi game, much in the same vein as Yoshi's Island.

Except there's no Baby Mario, there's the yarn mechanic, you have an actual health bar, and it has two-player.

rallydefault wrote:

Star Fox? It's...uh...Star Fox and Star Fox 64. Very similar to them, at least. First stage looked almost the same as 64.

Gee! That's probably because it's been confirmed that it's a re-imagining of 64! ...Which was a re-imagining of the first game...uh...re-imagining-ception? Also, I've played both 64 and the 3DS remake, and there are definitely some things I don't remember seeing, like the transformable Arwing.

rallydefault wrote:

Mario Maker?2D Mario game. Mario levels, design your own Mario levels, sure, but...yea...2D Mario. Nothing's much changed. You've done it all before, but now you get to do it in crazier combinations and layouts.

...Let me read that again.

rallydefault wrote:

...One more time.

rallydefault wrote:

NOPE. Still sounds stupid.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

kyuubikid213

@NintendoFan64
"But I'm still buying them because I love them. I really have no issue with 'rehashes', I was just doing this to create a pointless argument." -rallydefault

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

TuVictus

Well, "re-imagining" is pretty much the same definition of "rehash". One just sounds nicer for PR purposes while the other sounds more derogatory. Either way, they're both "to present (something) again in a slightly different form". I'd say that fits Star Fox pretty accurately, honestly. From what we've seen, at least

TuVictus

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.