Wii U Forum

Topic: The PS4 Has Officially Outsold the Wii U In 2/3 Markets.

Showing 161 to 180 of 348

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

161. Posted:

@Tasuki Plus companies had to sign contracts making them only work on NES which is why the EU hit them with a fine later for it being a monopoly.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage

Cia

162. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

If you know your Nintendo history then you will remember back in the NES days Nintendo was not to kind to third party companies to begin with. Back then Nintendo put a limit as to how many games a third party company could put out on the NES a year, that's where companies like Ultra came from (which was Konami getting around that little detail). Then you also had the fact that all cartridges had to be manufactured by Nintendo, and to be paid for in full before they were manufactured. Cartridges could not be returned to Nintendo, so publishers assumed all the risk. As a result, some publishers lost more money due to distress sales of remaining inventory at the end of the NES era than they ever earned in profits from sales of the games. This is where you had the infamous Tengen cartridges come about.

During this time because Nintendo was the most well known video game system the third party games went along with this during the 8 bit and into most of the 16 bit era. Well then came along Sony with the PS and third party companies had an alternative to go to then Nintendo. The came Microsoft and that pretty much sealed the deal.

So in a way I can't blame third party companies not want to deal with Nintendo after years of that B.S.

I don't think that ancient history has anything to do with why third parties have been abandoning Nintendo. The more probable reason is the simple fact that third party games are not selling too well in Nintendo consoles. I blame the third parties though... they have this annoying habit of releasing watered down versions for Nintendo consoles, even when it's not necessary. Like, the same game like in Ps3 but with no online mode, etc. Since many people today owns multiple consoles, why would anyone want to buy an inferior version?
Many games in Wii U are exceptions though. Many of the third party games seems to be actually better than their Ps3 and Xbox counterparts, yet they're still not selling. How about this: Many of them were released like months later than the other versions...

Cia

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

163. Posted:

You guys seriously think NES has anything to do with how 3rd parties view the Wii U? That was like 30 years ago, and most of the big companies that agreed to those guidelines are still around and publishing games on Nintendo. Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, and even Rare agreed to Nintendo's exclusive strategy, just to name a few, and all of them still publish games on Nintendo(besides RARE obviously), so bringing up 30 years ago isn't really relevant to the picture at all.

I'm not saying it was ok to do that, but it was 30 years ago, and things have advanced past that total control initiative that Nintendo had.

Besides, Microsoft has that multiplatform policy, which has been a clear factor of Ubisoft's support when it comes to Watch_Dogs and Rayman Legends. That restricts 3rd parties, as well.

EDIT: In conclusion, the past is gone, and Microsoft has it's own share of decisions that effect other companies, so it doesn't really specifically mean anything.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

164. Posted:

@SCAR392 I don't know that anyone was saying that's why. I think @Tasuki was just saying he doesn't blame them for not supporting Nintendo because of it. Like what goes around, comes around. Karma.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

Super_Gravy

165. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

You guys seriously think NES has anything to do with how 3rd parties view the Wii U? That was like 30 years ago, and most of the big companies that agreed to those guidelines are still around and publishing games on Nintendo. Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, and even Rare agreed to Nintendo's exclusive strategy, just to name a few, and all of them still publish games on Nintendo(besides RARE obviously), so bringing up 30 years ago isn't really relevant to the picture at all.

I'm not saying it was ok to do that, but it was 30 years ago, and things have advanced past that total control initiative that Nintendo had.

Besides, Microsoft has that multiplatform policy, which has been a clear factor of Ubisoft's support when it comes to Watch_Dogs and Rayman Legends. That restricts 3rd parties, as well.

EDIT: In conclusion, the past is gone, and Microsoft has it's own share of decisions that effect other companies, so it doesn't really specifically mean anything.

Even the past is gone. People haven't moved on. French people still pissed off that English people invades the French which became Canada. Now the Quebec want to be an own country. The point is that people look at the history and still pissed off about it. I mean I expect things to blown over in Canada but its have been going over for like hundred years so far.

So maybe the third-parties do have a grudges?

Edited on by Super_Gravy

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

166. Posted:

@RancidVomit86
I get what you're saying, but blaming karma is like grasping at straws. It doesn't really access the situation at all.

I think 3rd parties just had issues with the hardware architecture, and got caught off guard in their release schedules, which is why they focused on porting 7th gen games instead of making new content that could define a new generation. Even Xbox One and PS4 are being slowly transitioned from 7th gen, so I'm not worried.

To stay on topic, PS4 is no doubt selling well, but I don't think it really means anything for the bottom line; at least in any way that's obvious.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

167. Posted:

@RancidVomit86
Pretty damn clear that's what was being said. If anything I'd argue that the Wii U is by far the friendliest console Nintendo has made for third parties in terms of Nintendo's approach, the hardware spec and the ecosystem. All of the things that the third parties could complain about on the Wii are technically gone on the Wii U.

The only change is the fact that the Wii U hasn't sold. That's it. Period. These big companies aren't spiteful they're just really cold and calculated when looked at as large entities. Doesn't matter how good an idea it is if it doesn't look like it's going to make a large return. The evidence supporting this case would be that indie support on the Wii U isn't falling away, indie support on the Wii U is insane compared to what the Wii had.

If Nintendo were still being difficult then you can guarantee that indie support would be falling at the same rate. It's not. So the only sensible conclusion is that this is purely about the potential for large profit margins.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

168. Posted:

@SCAR392 But you don't get what I'm saying. I'm not blaming karma or saying that's why. I'm just saying I understand not blamimg 3rd parties for it because of Nintendo's history with them.

More to blame right now could be Nintendo's lack of effort to work with them. Nintendo is known for saying here's the dev kits now figure it out.

Edit: and I guess everyone will take my post out of context anyway. If you guys don't get it I'm not going to waste effort explaining it further. @skywake

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

169. Posted:

Dark-Luigi wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

I have no interest in getting a PS4, sales or no sales

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

170. Posted:

@Super_Gravy
I don't think they have grudges. 3rd parties are just trying to figure out how to either incorporate the Wii U, or might just be ignoring it for whatever reason.

Seeing as 3rd parties have become used to having 2 big consoles and 1 little one, if they're including Wii U into the big 3 games lineup, it would plenty of time and resources to make that happen. What I'm trying to say is, that even if 3rd parties wanted to support Wii U has best as they could, it would still take time and dedication that probably hasn't reached a certain bar, yet.

Even if 3rd parties have big plans for Wii U, they still wouldn't necessarily be prepared to handle such a task. Consider that they're supporting 2 consoles, and are trying to make it 3. That's just an idea of how things could go.

We already know that Battlefeild 4, 2K 2014, KH3, or Star Wars Battlefront 3 would run on Wii U, so it's just a matter of audience, but that begs to question whether 3rd parties will attempt to capture a new audience or not.

That's my take on this whole thing.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

MAN1AC

171. Posted:

So much salt in this thread.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

172. Posted:

@MAN1AC I'll be honest. I don't think any of us forum analyst will ever know why these companies make the decisions they do as none of us are there in the mix.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

173. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@SCAR392 But you don't get what I'm saying. I'm not blaming karma or saying that's why. I'm just saying I understand not blamimg 3rd parties for it because of Nintendo's history with them.

More to blame right now could be Nintendo's lack of effort to work with them. Nintendo is known for saying here's the dev kits now figure it out.

Ya, and I said that most of the 3rd parties that were involved in that debacle, are still publishing on Wii U anyway. Capacom, Tecmo, Namco, Konami, Square Enix, etc were all part of Nintendo's little 3rd party deal, way back when, and they're still publishing on Wii U.

It clearly hasn't effected 3rd party support. Saying that karma has anything to with it, is ignoring that Wii U already has a ton of games from many of the companies that were involved in Nintendo's little deal that 30 or so years ago.

Ghost n' Goblins, Pac-Man, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Final Fantasy, etc. were all on NES.

RE, Monster Hunter, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, and Deus Ex are all games on Wii U from those same 3rd party companies,that signed that NES deal, so it doesn't look like karma or hard feeling are being had.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

174. Posted:

@SCAR392 I'M STILL NOT SAYING THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I'M JUST SAYING THAT PERSONALLY, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DO NOT BLAME THEM FOR LACK OF SUPPORT FOR THAT REASON THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT VIEW.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

skywake

175. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@SCAR392 I'M STILL NOT SAYING THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I'M JUST SAYING THAT PERSONALLY, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DO NOT BLAME THEM FOR LACK OF SUPPORT FOR THAT REASON THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT VIEW.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

176. Posted:

@skywake Thank you cause that's the way I feel with this right now. It's like no one can get what I'm saying.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

177. Posted:

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

kyuubikid213

178. Posted:

This thread is awful.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

179. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

This thread is awful.

Yes it took that turn awhile back.

Guess let's all just agree congrats to Sony on success thus far and let's hope all can take part in it. Competition only benefits us as consumers.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

kyuubikid213

180. Posted:

Congrats, Sony on the impressive sales of your console.

I don't hate Sony by the way. Far from it. I grew up with a PS1 and PS2. I'm upset with other gamers and developers that won't work on the Wii U. I'm upset that every time I open NintendoLife, there's a positive article followed by three negative ones. I'm upset that the world refuses to see the Wii U, perhaps the most interesting console of this generation, as a contender in the 8th gen at all. I'm upset that games have to be about blood and sex to be considered worth buying.

I'm just upset with gaming right now and sometimes I wish I could go back to being a gamer that only used his computer for gaming, FAQs, and walkthroughs.

There. Now I'm done with this thread for good.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213