Forums

Topic: The PS4 Has Officially Outsold the Wii U In 2/3 Markets.

Posts 141 to 160 of 337

SCRAPPER392

Blast wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Sony is in the lead through getting a ton of goodwill from the last half of the PS3s life.

Yup. And I don't blame people for buying the PS4 early cuz they see it as investment but I am shocked at the same time. I honestly thought the PS4 sales wouldn't jump to crazy heights until something like Infamous: Second Son released. Turns out... tons of people are buying the console even before that game releases.

I didn't think PS4 sales would be this good, either. It just goes to show that PS and Xbox fans bought their consoles with the same motive as Nintendo fans... Waiting for Second Son and Uncharted, is like waiting for Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, X, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Zelda, Starfox, etc. Some of which are already out or haven't been announced, but are still wished for.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

RancidVomit86

@SCAR392 You definitely missed out. Was all I played on on Live for long time. Can't wait for 3 to come out.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

SCRAPPER392

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@SCAR392 You definitely missed out. Was all I played on on Live for long time. Can't wait for 3 to come out.

I thought it was only on PS2, so maybe that gives more explanation of why I would think it's a big deal to be on Xbox.

See, I want those games for Wii U, but if they never come, I'll just have to play them on the Xbox One I eventually get my hands on. The issue with that, though, is that Wii U can support games like that, so buying another console specifically for 3rd parties is kind of missing the point of expanding their audience.

Kingdom Hearts 3, for example. First of all, DX11 is a piss poor excuse. Fact. Also, Nintendo has arguably a bigger KH(or FF) fanbase than Microsoft. That doesn't mean I have angst for Xbox, either(obviously), but I'm just pointing some things that I would consider relevant. Looking back at past gaming systems, expanding their audience to Wii U is just as relevant as catering to PS1 or the original Xbox, seeing as those were new entities in the gaming scene. Just my $0.02.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

rockodoodle

I think I'll get one in a year or two- mainly for Madden and maybe a few others.

rockodoodle

Blast

SCAR392 wrote:

Blast wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Sony is in the lead through getting a ton of goodwill from the last half of the PS3s life.

Yup. And I don't blame people for buying the PS4 early cuz they see it as investment but I am shocked at the same time. I honestly thought the PS4 sales wouldn't jump to crazy heights until something like Infamous: Second Son released. Turns out... tons of people are buying the console even before that game releases.

I didn't think PS4 sales would be this good, either. It just goes to show that PS and Xbox fans bought their consoles with the same motive as Nintendo fans... Waiting for Second Son and Uncharted, is like waiting for Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, X, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Zelda, Starfox, etc. Some of which are already out or haven't been announced, but are still wished for.

@SCAR392 Totally agree with you.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DudeSean

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo decided to stay with the same overall hardware base that the Gamecube and Wii had, which is one of the reasons why Third Partys bailed.

Really? Nintendo staying with the same hardware base drove third parties away? Back in the day third parties bailed when Nintendo changed their hardware for the n64 from the snes and went with playstation because it was similar to snes.

I swear it doesn't matter what Nintendo does, third parties always find a reason to either not make games for Nintendo or gimp the Nintendo versions.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

_Octoling_

WingedSnagret wrote:

I would complain about the Wii U's plight once more, but Sony is apparently forecasting a 1.1 billion in annual loss, so I'll keep my mouth shut about PS4.

i do believe, good sir, I am the biggest Pikmin fan here.
On topic, the Wii U still has more sales overall (to my knowledge) at 5.8 million.

Majora's Mask = Best Game Of All Time
3DS FC- 2380-2910-9753

shingi_70

DudeSean wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Nintendo decided to stay with the same overall hardware base that the Gamecube and Wii had, which is one of the reasons why Third Partys bailed.

Really? Nintendo staying with the same hardware base drove third parties away? Back in the day third parties bailed when Nintendo changed their hardware for the n64 from the snes and went with playstation because it was similar to snes.

I swear it doesn't matter what Nintendo does, third parties always find a reason to either not make games for Nintendo or gimp the Nintendo versions.

Third parties jumped ship to the PS1 because it used CD which despite loading times could hold more data and was cheaper to produce than cartridges.

As much as we like to play the blame on their parties Nintendo has made a huge mistake nearly every gen that stopped support from coming. The Wii probably being the only one where they didn't.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kyuubikid213

I love how backwards compatibility, a great FEATURE, is your reasoning for devs turning away from the Wii U. That's more ignorant than not realizing that streaming GAMES will be far more difficult than streaming MOVIES. Netflix isn't even extremely stable with frequent quality drops and complete cutting out of video. You think GAMES will be a walk in the park?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AJ_Lethal

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I love how backwards compatibility, a great FEATURE, is your reasoning for devs turning away from the Wii U. That's more ignorant than not realizing that streaming GAMES will be far more difficult than streaming MOVIES. Netflix isn't even extremely stable with frequent quality drops and complete cutting out of video. You think GAMES will be a walk in the park?

Pretty much this. Not everyone has a decent internet connection.

GamecubeMan

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

Well, the PS4 has become the PS2 of this generation. Congrats Sony, now you have your respect again.

You know what that means? The Wii U is the Gamecube of this generation! Yay! :3 (And the X Box "one" will just be there like the first "one")

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Blast

Actually... Playstation Now is rumored to be Sony's first step into becoming a digital only company for gaming.
Call me crazy but I keep hearing theory that everywhere.
10-20 years from now if Sony becomes a digital only company for gaming then well.... I called it. LOL

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Tasuki

If you know your Nintendo history then you will remember back in the NES days Nintendo was not to kind to third party companies to begin with. Back then Nintendo put a limit as to how many games a third party company could put out on the NES a year, that's where companies like Ultra came from (which was Konami getting around that little detail). Then you also had the fact that all cartridges had to be manufactured by Nintendo, and to be paid for in full before they were manufactured. Cartridges could not be returned to Nintendo, so publishers assumed all the risk. As a result, some publishers lost more money due to distress sales of remaining inventory at the end of the NES era than they ever earned in profits from sales of the games. This is where you had the infamous Tengen cartridges come about.

During this time because Nintendo was the most well known video game system the third party games went along with this during the 8 bit and into most of the 16 bit era. Well then came along Sony with the PS and third party companies had an alternative to go to then Nintendo. The came Microsoft and that pretty much sealed the deal.

So in a way I can't blame third party companies not want to deal with Nintendo after years of that B.S.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

If you know your Nintendo history then you will remember back in the NES days Nintendo was not to kind to third party companies to begin with. Back then Nintendo put a limit as to how many games a third party company could put out on the NES a year, that's where companies like Ultra came from (which was Konami getting around that little detail). Then you also had the fact that all cartridges had to be manufactured by Nintendo, and to be paid for in full before they were manufactured. Cartridges could not be returned to Nintendo, so publishers assumed all the risk. As a result, some publishers lost more money due to distress sales of remaining inventory at the end of the NES era than they ever earned in profits from sales of the games. This is where you had the infamous Tengen cartridges come about.

During this time because Nintendo was the most well known video game system the third party games went along with this during the 8 bit and into most of the 16 bit era. Well then came along Sony with the PS and third party companies had an alternative to go to then Nintendo. The came Microsoft and that pretty much sealed the deal.

So in a way I can't blame third party companies not want to deal with Nintendo after years of that B.S.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RancidVomit86

@Tasuki Plus companies had to sign contracts making them only work on NES which is why the EU hit them with a fine later for it being a monopoly.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Cia

Tasuki wrote:

I don't think that ancient history has anything to do with why third parties have been abandoning Nintendo. The more probable reason is the simple fact that third party games are not selling too well in Nintendo consoles. I blame the third parties though... they have this annoying habit of releasing watered down versions for Nintendo consoles, even when it's not necessary. Like, the same game like in Ps3 but with no online mode, etc. Since many people today owns multiple consoles, why would anyone want to buy an inferior version?
Many games in Wii U are exceptions though. Many of the third party games seems to be actually better than their Ps3 and Xbox counterparts, yet they're still not selling. How about this: Many of them were released like months later than the other versions...

Cia

SCRAPPER392

You guys seriously think NES has anything to do with how 3rd parties view the Wii U? That was like 30 years ago, and most of the big companies that agreed to those guidelines are still around and publishing games on Nintendo. Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, and even Rare agreed to Nintendo's exclusive strategy, just to name a few, and all of them still publish games on Nintendo(besides RARE obviously), so bringing up 30 years ago isn't really relevant to the picture at all.

I'm not saying it was ok to do that, but it was 30 years ago, and things have advanced past that total control initiative that Nintendo had.

Besides, Microsoft has that multiplatform policy, which has been a clear factor of Ubisoft's support when it comes to Watch_Dogs and Rayman Legends. That restricts 3rd parties, as well.

EDIT: In conclusion, the past is gone, and Microsoft has it's own share of decisions that effect other companies, so it doesn't really specifically mean anything.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

RancidVomit86

@SCAR392 I don't know that anyone was saying that's why. I think @Tasuki was just saying he doesn't blame them for not supporting Nintendo because of it. Like what goes around, comes around. Karma.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

Super_Gravy

SCAR392 wrote:

You guys seriously think NES has anything to do with how 3rd parties view the Wii U? That was like 30 years ago, and most of the big companies that agreed to those guidelines are still around and publishing games on Nintendo. Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, and even Rare agreed to Nintendo's exclusive strategy, just to name a few, and all of them still publish games on Nintendo(besides RARE obviously), so bringing up 30 years ago isn't really relevant to the picture at all.

I'm not saying it was ok to do that, but it was 30 years ago, and things have advanced past that total control initiative that Nintendo had.

Besides, Microsoft has that multiplatform policy, which has been a clear factor of Ubisoft's support when it comes to Watch_Dogs and Rayman Legends. That restricts 3rd parties, as well.

EDIT: In conclusion, the past is gone, and Microsoft has it's own share of decisions that effect other companies, so it doesn't really specifically mean anything.

Even the past is gone. People haven't moved on. French people still pissed off that English people invades the French which became Canada. Now the Quebec want to be an own country. The point is that people look at the history and still pissed off about it. I mean I expect things to blown over in Canada but its have been going over for like hundred years so far.

So maybe the third-parties do have a grudges?

Edited on by Super_Gravy

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

SCRAPPER392

@RancidVomit86
I get what you're saying, but blaming karma is like grasping at straws. It doesn't really access the situation at all.

I think 3rd parties just had issues with the hardware architecture, and got caught off guard in their release schedules, which is why they focused on porting 7th gen games instead of making new content that could define a new generation. Even Xbox One and PS4 are being slowly transitioned from 7th gen, so I'm not worried.

To stay on topic, PS4 is no doubt selling well, but I don't think it really means anything for the bottom line; at least in any way that's obvious.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.