Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 7,361 to 7,380 of 14,636

Late

Beat the single player campaign yesterday. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit late with it...

I used the summer playing online and barely touched the single player but after the summer was over I returned back to my apartment and since I don't have good enough connection to play online I've been playing other games. I saved the single player for when I don't have access to internet and now I had perfect time to play through it since I'll soon have a vacation and I'll be able to play online again at my parents' house. The single player acted as a practice. I'll finally be able to play the "new" stages: Flounder Heights and Hammerhead Bridge!

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Torterror

@shani: where did you find the special edition!?

Edited on by Torterror

Torterror

ultraraichu

Well that's my 4th Splatfest lost in a row. I don't mind the lost as much since I least get 18 sea snails, but I do mind that 1/3 of my matches have been against the other team. Seems like a waste of effort, especially when it's too quick to match you up against your own team in seconds.

A dying animal struggles, thrashes and howls in protest as its life torn from it. To see this in action, watch Animal Planet. The same thing happens when a video game is or isn't released. To see this in action, stay here.

Switch Friend Code: Sw-6105-4873-7122 | 3DS Friend Code: 1848-1733-3257 | My Nintendo: Ultraraichu | Nintendo Network ID: ultraraichu

Nicolai

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Wait, Team Planes lost?
I'm starting to think Splatfest is rigged. Not one time has the more popular team won the most matches. There's something off there...

I don't think it's designed to work like that. When tallying up the points, the outcome of the battles is multiplied by four, so the battles have four times the impact as popularity.

Also, I'll not entirely sure, but if I remember correctly, Dogs won their Splatfest by being the most popular.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Iggly

Nicolai wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Wait, Team Planes lost?
I'm starting to think Splatfest is rigged. Not one time has the more popular team won the most matches. There's something off there...

I don't think it's designed to work like that. When tallying up the points, the outcome of the battles is multiplied by four, so the battles have four times the impact as popularity.

Also, I'll not entirely sure, but if I remember correctly, Dogs won their Splatfest by being the most popular.

Pretty sure he meant that there hasn't been a Splatfest in America where the popular team has won by wins as well. There's been only one Splatfest where the popular team won by matches as well, Art vs Science. I think the main reason why the least popular team usually gets the wins is due to the fact they never have to face their own team unlike popular teams where half of their matches will involve them battling their own team so not everyone in the popular team could contribute as much points as the unpopular team. This is probably why Popularity is considered for the tally to compensate for the many times a team would have to deal with facing their own team.

I'm not lazy! ...I'm just very forgetful. :|

3DS Friend Code: 1177-9364-2530 | Nintendo Network ID: MerchantAnna | Twitter:

ultraraichu

Iggly wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Wait, Team Planes lost?

Pretty sure he meant that there hasn't been a Splatfest in America where the popular team has won by wins as well. There's been only one Splatfest where the popular team won by matches as well, Art vs Science. I think the main reason why the least popular team usually gets the wins is due to the fact they never have to face their own team unlike popular teams where half of their matches will involve them battling their own team so not everyone in the popular team could contribute as much points as the unpopular team. This is probably why Popularity is considered for the tally to compensate for the many times a team would have to deal with facing their own team.

Glad I pressed refresh before posting otherwise I would be echoing you. The first Splatfest popularity looked an bit like a tie breaker since the win was like 51-49 and Art & Science was almost even on both end. This one and some of the others seem like you're better off not even playing (edit: after reaching King/Queen) since you contribute the same amount as battling your own team.

Edited on by ultraraichu

A dying animal struggles, thrashes and howls in protest as its life torn from it. To see this in action, watch Animal Planet. The same thing happens when a video game is or isn't released. To see this in action, stay here.

Switch Friend Code: Sw-6105-4873-7122 | 3DS Friend Code: 1848-1733-3257 | My Nintendo: Ultraraichu | Nintendo Network ID: ultraraichu

jariw

Nicolai wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Wait, Team Planes lost?

They changed the Splatfest rules to x4 in one of the first updates, since the first Splatfests just became popularity contests. I think this was the first Splatfest where the wins of one team actually resulted in a win over a hugely more popular opponent.

Also, these Splatfest have been a win both by votes and wins %:

• Rice vs Bread (Japan)
  • Rock vs. Pop (U.S.)
  • KIRIN Milk vs. KIRIN Lemon (Japan)
  • Grasshopper vs. Ants (Japan)
  • Tsukkomi vs. Boke (Japan)
  • Art vs. Science (U.S.)
  • Messy vs. Tidy (Europe)

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Iggly

jariw wrote:

Also, these Splatfest have been a win both by votes and wins %:

• Rock vs. Pop (U.S.)

You mean Europe?

Also I hope we get a more interesting theme for the next Splatfest since I couldn't really choose between either because I'm not interested in both cars or planes so I had to flip a coin at the night of Splatfest lol.

Nicolai

Okay, I see what you mean, but I don't think it matters how many Planes vs Planes matches there are: for every game that counts towards wins (Planes vs Cars), each team is represented once; therefore, each team has fair representation towards wins. The only reason popularity is included is so that you feel like you're contributing to your team just by joining it, even if you're not very good.

Or am I wrong about Planes vs Planes battles not counting?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Iggly

Nicolai wrote:

Or am I wrong about Planes vs Planes battles not counting?

The only purpose for same Team battles is so you can rank up faster since it would be a bit too easy if they counted towards the final Splatfest results, but I do get what you mean about each team being represented at least once. I just wish there was an option to not battle against other team members for the people who are willing to wait a bit longer.

shani

@Torterror: On Amazon and Mediamarkt, for starters.
I also found it on Ebay, sold by Saturn and Mediamarkt. There are even more auctions than that one.

I even bought a Special Edition from Saturn on Ebay, but shortly after that I found someone on Ebay Kleinanzeigen (Ebay classifieds) who sells me his Squid Amiibo for 20€ (he wanted to sell the Special Edition for 42€, but I told him it's almost the same price in the stores and that I only really need the Amiibo)!
I told Saturn to cancel my order, but it seems as if they still will ship it to me. I was planning to send it back, but if you want, I could send it to you instead. So far it cost me 46,98€ (because there was a 5€ voucher if you pay with Paypal).

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Nicolai

@OorWullie: Maybe in a little bit. I gotta shower and make lunch.

@Iggly: Yeah, I would like that too, cuz I want each Splatfest match to feel like it counts. Actually, call me crazy, but it would actually be better for me if there was more time in between matches in general, just because Splatoon matches tend to get me real excited and focused (or sometimes frustrated), and a few minutes to calm down or do something else would be great. I'm not so sure many other people want the same thing, though, and I can just always exit to the lobby if I really need to.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

shani

Late wrote:

The single player acted as a practice.

Definitely, and they did a real good job with that! When I started the game on day one, Cpt. Cuddlefish peaking out of the manhole caught my attention/curiosity and I went straight for the single player. But I stopped after a few levels and after that I only played online. But later on I finished the SP campaign and not only was it awesome as a standalone mode, it was also clear how the devs designed it so that it prepares you for online battle. Really great part of the game which sometimes gets overlooked.

@Nicolai: My problem is more that usually the matches are found almost too quickly, so between two matches you have little time to do something like looking something up, getting something from the kitchen, going to the bathroom etc.
So it became kind of a habit/ritual of mine to rush myself into getting a drink/something to eat/going to pee/looking something up on the computer (sometimes it's this thread ) during the short breaks.
It would be really nice though if you could leave the lobby before the 8th player has joined, because sometimes when I want to stop playing I still press continue out of habit. ^^

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Torterror

@shani: Damn mediamarkt has a lot of stock. Thank you shani

Torterror

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic