Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 4,081 to 4,100 of 14,636

jariw

rjejr wrote:

@jariw: But what if we don't want to be rewarded, what if we just want to have fun and play the game?

If you don't want to play by the rules of the base game, you have to wait for the August update, which has also been known since the Splatoon Direct. But your idea of adding some kind of AI enemies to Recon is great!

Edited on by jariw

jariw

rjejr

arronishere wrote:

I got 4 connection errors in a row and now I'm back to a b+ FUDGE SAKE!

I hate losing points due to connection errors in ranked mode. It doesn't rally bother me too much anymore in turf war now that I'm level 20, but going from B- 10 to C+ 70 when the match is well in hand was not a pleasant experience.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Diravix

I'm doing a Highspeed Amiibo Challenge video series! This is a fun video series I decided to do, I hope the community enjoys it. Please feel free to share it around, you know that one person who would love to watch this!

[link removed]

@Diravix advertise in your signature, thanks. --Jazzer

Edited on by Jazzer94

Diravix

OptometristLime

jariw wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Im not sure why arent all the stages open at once, this 2 stages at a time feels like a random idea

Its cool in the way that makes all people to play every map but you can do with a rotation also

It has been explained multiple times by the developers, including in the Splatoon Direct. Splatoon rewards the players who optimize their loadout based on the map rotation (and mode).

We have the developer POV which is technically an explanation but it's only their side of it. Personally I side with the argument that says: as long as you don't know which stage you are going into (between a choice of two or more) the random element exists, and overrules the design sentiment. The ideals of the thing are commendable, whether they create an impact in the overall strategic picture seems unlikely. Meaning the best weapons will be used regardless, until buffs or nerfs are introduced.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

-Green-

OptometristLime wrote:

jariw wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Im not sure why arent all the stages open at once, this 2 stages at a time feels like a random idea

Its cool in the way that makes all people to play every map but you can do with a rotation also

It has been explained multiple times by the developers, including in the Splatoon Direct. Splatoon rewards the players who optimize their loadout based on the map rotation (and mode).

We have the developer POV which is technically an explanation but it's only their side of it. Personally I side with the argument that says: as long as you don't know which stage you are going into (between a choice of two or more) the random element exists, and overrules the design sentiment. The ideals of the thing are commendable, whether they create an impact in the overall strategic picture seems unlikely. Meaning the best weapons will be used regardless, until buffs or nerfs are introduced.

That's also one of my issues with the rotations as well. While it sounds good on paper, the rotations are made redundant when the same overall weapons are the same effectively on each map. Weapons like the Aerospray (because it's the most commonly cited one) will be good no matter what map as long as they are used in the right mode.

I think a really cool thing they could have done was place side effects on each map, that affects a specific weapon type when used on that map. That would introduce more actual knowledge and skill than normal map rotations.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

DefHalan

Aromaiden wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

jariw wrote:

Faruko wrote:

That's also one of my issues with the rotations as well. While it sounds good on paper, the rotations are made redundant when the same overall weapons are overall the same effectively on each map. Weapons like the Aerospray (because it's the most commonly cited one) will be good no matter what map as long as they are used in the right mode.

I think a really cool thing they could have done was place side effects on each map, that affects a specific weapon type when used on that map. That would introduce more actual knowledge and skill than normal map rotations.

I actually think different weapons are more effective on different maps. But I also think the Aerospray is good in most situations which makes people just stick with the 1 weapon. I think if people would experiment more with the weapons we would see unique strategies but I think a competitive scene would need to start in order to see that. Once Private Matches are a thing, I bet the game will change a lot.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

whodatninja

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@whodatninja: It seems to be Team Eat because you can't play Splatoon while you sleep.

Huh, never thought of it that way. Thanks!

Incidentally, it's also the team Callie supports... Bonus!

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

jariw

OptometristLime wrote:

jariw wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Apparently, that's the reason why there isn't more than 2 maps in each rotation (since 3 would result too much towards the good average gear).

jariw

jariw

DefHalan wrote:

But I also think the Aerospray is good in most situations which makes people just stick with the 1 weapon. I think if people would experiment more with the weapons we would see unique strategies but I think a competitive scene would need to start in order to see that. Once Private Matches are a thing, I bet the game will change a lot.

IMO, there are already private matches happening, and lots of discussions about gear and weapons. GAF/Squidboard/etc friendlist matches becomes pretty much private after a few rounds. There are many Splatoon sub groups out there.

jariw

DefHalan

jariw wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

But I also think the Aerospray is good in most situations which makes people just stick with the 1 weapon. I think if people would experiment more with the weapons we would see unique strategies but I think a competitive scene would need to start in order to see that. Once Private Matches are a thing, I bet the game will change a lot.

IMO, there are already private matches happening, and lots of discussions about gear and weapons. GAF/Squidboard/etc friendlist matches becomes pretty much private after a few rounds. There are many Splatoon sub groups out there.

Yea, but you can't really do a competitive scene that way.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

bluedogrulez

The best teams I've been on have a nice mix of weapons and everyone knows their role. I'm an aerosprayer, so I know I've got to engage and splat a lot of enemies while laying down ink in-between. Snipers need to snipe and rollers need to coat and put down good super jump points. Helps if one of the rollers or snipers generally stays out of the fray so they stay alive and can serve as jumping points too. My two cents . . . .

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

Nicolai

@bluedogrulez: Yes, I cannot agree more, knowing your roll according to your weapon choice is so important. When I'm playing with a splatroller, I'm not afraid to get into the fray, but I also understand that it is my responsibility to ink any areas my teammates skip while they're busy playing defense at the chokepoint.

Similarly, if I'm playing any Splattershot, I'm primarily going head-to-head with foes in key points in the map, and in those small stages, making sure no one sneaks up on our charger if we have one. I also know I have the flexibility to pop over to one of my teammates if they need help. If my Splattershot is short-ranged, I know that I can spread ink almost as fast as a roller, and if my Splattershot is long-ranged and close to the fray, it's my responsibility to keep firing at almost all times, because my short-ranged teammates can really use the extra inking to gain the upper hand in fights.

As for chargers, I'm terrible with them, so don't ask for my advice

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Xyphon22

I still find it pretty pointless to try to be a good team in Turf War. The 300 points you gain for winning can easily be made up by just running around inking more rather than holding the chokepoint and simply playing your role, especially if you are a charger and don't ink much anyway.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Undead_terror

So splatfest starts tonight in NA...don't know if I'm gonna be bothering with it this time around, still got 21 snails and upgrades all the things that I usually use.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

rjejr

Undead_terror wrote:

So splatfest starts tonight in NA...don't know if I'm gonna be bothering with it this time around, still got 21 snails and upgrades all the things that I usually use.

It's midnight Thursday to midnight Friday? I thought it was midnight Friday to midnight Saturday?

Edit - oh wait, if you're in the UK then it is Friday, nevermind.

Edited on by rjejr

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Spoony_Tech

He's not UK though.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Noonch

It's Friday, July 17th at 9:00 PM PT and will end on July 18th at 9:00 PM PT.

My other Switch is a WiiU.

3DS Friend Code: 2552-1230-7713

Spoony_Tech

Which is midnight for me.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

rjejr wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

He's not UK though.

Canada, UK, they both bow to the same Queen. http://mentalfloss.com/article/53036/10-things-queen-england-...

Well That may be but he's still in a different time zone. Sad to say but he belongs with us lol.

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic