Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 12,961 to 12,980 of 14,636

shani

Aw no! I can't believe I missed the king rank by merely 2 points! I was on such a good run and had almost half an hour to get the needed points, it looked like a sure thing with my winning streak. But then I lost all of my last games and couldn't start another one before the news came in...
They should really make the Splatfest duration longer.

That said, the Splatfest power system seems to work, my opponents were a lot tougher than during previous Splatfests, so obviously the ranks translate well into Splatfest power.
I assume the Splatfest power shown right before the start of the match is your teams average Splatfest power? But I don't understand what the multiplier next to it is supposed to mean.

@Megapokepaul: That's pretty unlikely, because each brand has a 5x higher probability for a specific abilitiy, however that specific ability (or the corresponding brand) is never paired with the main ability of that item.
But it happens, I also have a hat with main inksavermain and 2x sub inksavermain.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: Yeah, it was my feeling that Turf Wars simply doesn't transition as well to competitive play. Or maybe it was just because I was out of practice with that mode that I found it uncomfortable.

I think Nintendo has got the system right though. I generally don't feel too frustrated losing in one of the Ranked, as I usually understand the reason why our team didn't win that round, and I take that into the next battle. However, Turf Wars has just go so many variables in play that it can be hard to know what you did wrong, and the results can be completely flipped in the last 20-30 seconds.

How did everyone else find "Ranked Turf Wars" as a concept? Would you like to see it as an option in the main Ranked Mode, or are you glad it's just confined to Splatfests?

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

@Maxz: I think Ranked Turf Wars require more communication as a team. I guess it wouldn't work well with the current system. Still, it was nice to see how different it plays when you're paired with players of the same skill level.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

shani

Dammit! I bet hoverboards only won because of Back to the future, because in my opinion a jetpack beats a hoverboard by a long shot.

Maxz wrote:

However, Turf Wars has just go so many variables in play that it can be hard to know what you did wrong, and the results can be completely flipped in the last 20-30 seconds.

I disagree on that, it all comes down to only one variable: which team inks the map the quickest and can contain the enemy to ensure victory. Otherwise the losing team often wins in the last 20-30 seconds.
It all comes down to who dies less and who uses their time more effectively (as in: turf inked divided by seconds). But if you're the team that got off to the better start and your team doesn't die too often, it's a sure win.

Ok, these are a few more variables than one, but it's still pretty simple in comparison with the three main modes.

That said, the new system is fine, but with tougher enemies it would be really better to have two days to play. I didn't encounter any clueless noobs but skilled snipers etc. Although it wasn't too hard really, I even got up in my splatfest rank faster than before.
But instead of ranked TW I'd rather have the three main modes in Splatfests. TW is still the inferior mode to me.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Oops, I got distracted by Rocksmith 2014 yesterday and MK8 today to participate. I'm part of the reason team Jet Pack lost

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DreamyViridi

@Maxz: Ranked Turf Wars, eh? Well, I admit that having actual competition without also having squidiots as teammates made for an interesting experience; although the amount of Gals I saw near the end of my session kinda got to me.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Maxz

@shani: Well it's easy to say, "there's only one variable and that variable is whichever team collectively spends the most time inking new turf". It's true, but it doesn't explain much about the nature of the match. In fact, you don't even need to do "ink turfed divided by seconds", as everyone gets the same number of seconds in a match. Subtracting the time you spent respawning from the total time and dividing "ink turfed" by the resulting number would actually make people who spent the entire match getting splatted look better that they should do. So dividing is irrelevant. Only ink turfed matters.

And with regards to "containing" the opposing team, that's significantly harder on the larger maps, and is by no means a foolproof strategy. Most maps are designed so that spawn-trapping isn't completely unbreakable.

Every single piece of the map counts, and that means every single piece of the map is a relevant variable in determining who wins. No piece of the map is marked off as a special zone, and so it's not a case of controlling a piece of a map; it's a case of controlling the entire map. And, obviously, it's much harder to control something big than small, which leads to a much more unfocused experience than something like Splat Zones.

That's what I mean when I say there are "many variables". The whole map is the variable. There's not a clear, narrow goal that's been well defined and marked out. There's not a single part of the map where "it all goes down". It's like every bit of the map is its own Splat Zone. And looked at like that, I think it's fair to say there are more variables involved, making the game harder to keep track of.

It may just be because I haven't played Splat Zones in a while, but I feel I'm right in saying that there is more stuff to keep track of in Turf War than any on the Ranked modes, and in this sense it is mentally more challenging (or "harder") to deal with. I don't mean somehow the game has been made objectively harder overall (after all, someone always has to win), but just that the objective you've been given is more open-ended.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Nicolai

@TheXReturns: Nice! I'm still at that point where every time i play ranked mode as an S, it's a slow trickle down. Last time I got to S, I happened to win one game afterward, and was so excited I stopped playing ranked since. I'll have to pick it up again eventually, tho.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

DreamyViridi

@TheXReturns: Awesome, you surpassed me in Ranked now; that S+ doesn't seem too far for you. It's been a while since I played Ranked solo because I'm at S 64, it was my dream to make it there and I refuse to move from that spot! XD

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

TheXReturns

@DreamyViridi I went all the way up to S 82 before falling down to S 56 on splat zones. I'm gonna try on RM to try and move back up, as that's still my forte.

I still think you'll get there before me. You've beat me to every rank so far. I finally think I'm S material, but I don't see myself in S+, so if I do manage it (somehow), I'll just fall back down instantly. XD

Edited on by TheXReturns

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

yokokazuo

@TheXReturns nice! That's actually similar to my path towards S+ ranks. About a month or so ago I noticed I was able to hold my own easier in S rank and was generally moving higher. I started making more of a push and got up to about 70 something or so before I started falling back down again. I also started watching some videos from an S+ 3K user to learn new techniques. I then made another long push and overall I was winning most of my matches. At 96, I lost a match or two and each time I started winning I was one win away from ranking up before losing again haha. I finally got into S+ after winning at S99.
I think I mainly ranked up on Tower Control and Splat Zones since those are my best modes and I'm still not particularly very good in Rainmaker. Currently I'm still in S+, but I haven't played ranked as often recently. Overall I've been slowly falling close to S rank and got down to 1 point, but I'm currently at S+ 9 now.

Since you are making progress towards S+, I think you will probably make it there pretty soon.
I've noticed quite a few NL members have made it to S+ now, even if some of us have fallen out of it (or are close to falling out).
I remember when I would have just liked to have made it to S rank haha.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Jazzer94

@TheXReturns: Nice, I've been slowly edging towards maxing my rank out recently and just trying to get better at all map/mode combinations.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

TheXReturns

Well, that ended badly... I fell back down to S 48. Should really have stopped a while back, but I thought I could bring myself back up...

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

Nicolai

I'm in a room with someone named Haru 27. @Haru17 doesn't play Splatoon, does he?

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

I'm in a room with someone named Haru 27. @Haru17 doesn't play Splatoon, does he?

Haha, no; pure coincidence. Monster Hunter is the only multiplayer I ever touch.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

@Haru17: Lol, Ryan's [that's] what I thought. Splatoon doesn't seem like your type of game. (Darn Swype)

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic