Forums

Topic: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise from your grave, Wii U

Posts 121 to 140 of 188

SCRAPPER392

It just doesn't make sense for a high profile remake of Majora's Mask to be made. I know people expecting an MM remake on Wii U would want something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLobZNJ3eOs

Not gonna happen. They would never dedicate as many resources as the would need for something like that to happen. They didn't even put that much effort into WWHD to begin with. OoT 3D probably took more work to make than WWHD did.

EDIT: Also, Nintendo would be better off getting Wii Mode to run in full 1080p(as opposed to 480p), rather than remaking ANY Wii game. That would benefit the entire library of Wii games and would basically make any remake from Wii, moot.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

shingi_70

@kkslider5552000

Is Mario Kart still relevant though? I mean it didn't help the gamecube any and by the time the game came out on the Wii the Systems marketshare was so big that alot of software just benefitted from being there. The 3DS happened to get a price drop and got its stride once MK and 3D Land came out and that just hasn't happened for the Wii U. We've seen so far most of the software that made the Wii a hit come out in such a way that the mass audience wouldn't know of its existence or has flopped. Not sure if Next Year's software will fare any differently.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
Really? Of course Mario Kart is still relevant. It has more relevancy than Killzone, inFamous, or even Knack, so I don't get your point is.

Also, Mario Kart 8 is coming out earlier in the Wii U's lifetime than Double Dash for GCN did. Not to mention that PS2's success probably had just as much to to do with DVD as the game portion did. That's why PS3 had bluray, because Sony figured people were still buying consoles to play disc based video, and the next logical step was bluray.

EDIT: I don't mean to call out PS so blatantly, but what they have and have done kinda throws your argument out the window, regarding IPs and system selling software. The timing and situation is alot different, so your argument makes a hell of alot less sense.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

shingi_70

@SCAR392
Untitled

Where did I even mention anything about Sony. I'm just saying it to would be a bit naive to believe that one game will change the systems fortunes.

Also year wise MK8 is coming out in the same time frame that it took the GameCube to get double dash. So if its too late than, well the Wii U is royally ******.

The game will be great but I think the audience that made the game and by proxy the Wii a huge deal is gone and isn't coming back.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
If you question software relevancy on a platform, I'm going to immediately look at every other piece of software on any console. You're asking whether Mario Kart is still relevant, and all I can do is look at inFamous or Killzone. Even CoD outsold Killzone. What do you think that means? Then we look at Wii U CoD, and it sold WAY less with alot more people owning the console.

My point is that everything you said makes no sense when we look at PS. As far as Ryse and Killer Instinct go, those are actually more relevant than Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or a action 3D fighter game, as of now, because they're new products for new systems that has no directly relatable software. Even Rayman has more in common with Mario than anything Microsoft has put out.

When you question relevancy, Sony has alot less going for it from an IP point of view, because similar 3rd party games came out on launch day that outsold 1st party and could have been available basically anywhere else.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

kkslider5552000

Mario Kart's popularity like doubled because of the DS game being the right game at the right time, Mario Kart feels like so much more of a big deal than it was before that one came out in my experience. It probably peaked with Wii but I'd be shocked if it didn't help the Wii U a ton. Like one of the main reasons 3D World hasn't sold a ton of Wii Us is because it's the 4th or 5th Mario platformer in 2 years, while Mario Kart is limited to once per system.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I also just want to add, that the players that were on Wii have just as much of a chance to move forward to Wii U as people from PS3 or Xbox 360 do for their successors.

It's like all the people that buy iPhone every year, except it's a 4-6 year generation difference when it comes to home consoles.

Qwest

skywake

The Gamecube version did sell 7mill units so it can't have hurt especially given how many Gamecubes sold. Also there's the fact that the Gamecube version didn't have online so for that alone it wasn't anywhere near as mindblowingly revolutionary as Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart DS were.

Also there's the fact that people don't tend to look at console purchases like that. They don't go "well it has Mario now, it has Kart on the way... what's the price" usually. They go "Nintendo, does it have Mario Kart yet? What's the price? Anything else good yet?". Or at least that was my mentality when I got my DS Lite when I wasn't a re-converted fanboy as I am now.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

Just a little anecdote, fully realizing that it is, indeed, only an anecdote (haha):

One of my closest friends, a staunch anti-Nintendo gamer, told me he's definitely picking up the WindWaker bundle. Apparently he just picked up a 3DS to play some RPGs and realized that Nintendo games are still incredibly fun. Surprising, right? Only a month ago this guy was number one on the list to scoff at my console purchase, but last night at a Christmas party he couldn't stop talking about how awesome the console and the games seem. He was even stoked to play some 3D World.

rallydefault

Socar

skywake wrote:

That whole "blah wouldn't have happened without Nintendo" thing isn't something I buy really. I'm sure that if Nintendo hadn't come out with rumble, analogue sticks, game saves, d-pads and 3D platformers someone else would have. Plus the talent that's at Nintendo would have still existed elsewhere. Same with the idea of motion controlled games or the revival of the industry in the US post-bust and so on. Someone else would have picked up the slack.

Although without Nintendo platformers probably wouldn't still be around and as big as they are. Nintendo owns that genre and has kept it alive almost single handedly. We also probably wouldn't have a handheld console market still, that would have been probably absorbed by phones/tablets by now. The home console market probably wouldn't be as interested in appealing to kids and casuals as it is. So they're a big influence.... I just don't think they're that big.

It's like the idea that without Apple phones wouldn't have had touch screens and portable music wouldn't have existed. No, they were the ones who popularised and innovated the most in that space but without them those things still happen. Some ideas are just a matter of waiting for the tech that'll make it possible to become cheap enough. The one who jumps on at the right time and/or with the best implementation "wins" but without the "winner" second place gets it instead.

Sure someone else would've done it but to be clear here, Sony wouldn't have gotten into gaming if Nintendo didn't collaborated with Sony earlier. That said, I doubt that companies would've influenced people to become game designers as much as Nintendo did. People like you who claim that someone else would've done it without Nintendo doing gaming standards makes me think that they don't respect Nintendo a lot or would make me think that whatever Nintendo did really isn't that impressive to them or to you for that matter. I'm sure that Nintendo did a lot of things besides platform games such as Smash etc. How can anyone possibly judge future stuff like that? The game crash itself was odd enough that they decided that no one should ever make games in US until Nintendo showed up.

If its one thing I love about Nintendo its the creativity minds they utilize in games in general. it is AMAZING to see innovative things and something you've never seen before or the lots of charm and interesting puzzles in Zelda. The Wii U right now is beginning to show its potential of how games can be played and that what I and everyone else here loves to see that.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

skywake

@Artwark
What I was saying was the gaming industry version of this

I wasn't saying that Nintendo wasn't a big influence I was just saying that without them someone else would have been there instead. The video game crash in the US during the 80s probably was going to be saved by one of the Japanese giants. It happened to be Nintendo who took the biggest advantage of it at the time, it could have been any of them. Equally while it is true that Sony wouldn't have been in the game without Nintendo the fact is that in the long run that doesn't matter. Someone was going to create a mass market console for the teen and mid-20 male gamer during that period. Microsoft came out with one not that long after in the grand scheme of things.

So yes, for sure, it would have been different. I just don't buy this whole "none of this would be here" mentality. It's bull.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JonnyKong

I don't really quite understand what's going on in this thread, but does anybody know why the vgchartz haven't updated in a while?

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

WebHead

I was at WalMart last Friday night. There were two xbones and no one touched them. However I guy did buy the nsmb Wii u bundle. Just thought I'd share.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Socar

@skywake

what other japanese companies were as big as Nintendo at that time?

Also let's fact facts that time can't change and that Nintendo did the gaming standards so just admit that and forget that it would've been different because it isn't anymore. Nintendo did wonders just face it?

I'm looking forward to the next Metroid game but I would want it in 2D. Don't care if its for the Wii U or 3DS, I would get it cause I'm really loving the original Metroid for NES.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Klimbatize

I was at Best Buy the other day and I witnessed the sale of 12 PS4's and 9 XBox Ones, and no Wii U's.

My anecdote negates the last several people who posted their anecdotes in this thread.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

rallydefault

@Klimbatize

Why do you have to be like that? I clearly stated it's only an anecdote and therefore means nothing factually, but I just wanted to share it with other Nintendo fans. So again ... why be like that?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Klimbatize

rallydefault wrote:

@Klimbatize

Why do you have to be like that? I clearly stated it's only an anecdote and therefore means nothing factually, but I just wanted to share it with other Nintendo fans. So again ... why be like that?

Just thought I'd share.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

CanisWolfred

rallydefault wrote:

@Klimbatize

But why do you feel the need to share it here, unless you're trying to say that your anecdotal evidence has some weight? This isn't the "I saw someone buy a Wii U" Thread, this is a thread about how the Wii U is doing overall. And if you really feel it means nothing, then why share it at all? Then all you're doing is wasting your time, along with everyone else's. :/

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.